UCONN Student Section | The Boneyard

UCONN Student Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm not going to start yet another "what went wrong?" thread about the game itself. However, I am going to start one about the only thing that we can control: our actions as a fanbase (if this was posted in another thread, I missed it).

The lifeblood of a college venue is its student sections. Ours has been AWFUL for a decade. Plain and simple, we need MUCH more engagement from our student section during games. Once again, as has been the pattern since the Rent opened, the students were late arrivals and early departures. Once again, the fullest that our student section appeared was from late 1st quarter through halftime. Once again, rows of empty seats could be seen at the 2nd half kickoff.

Now, our horrendous student sections are starting to be noticed nationally. Yes, student ticket sales is a national story/concern. It appears that ours is the butt-end of some jokes:

Tom DeCorte‏@TPD3
Packed student section at UConn after 3 quarters. pic.twitter.com/uWMqlUXXWB

Reaction Score
I still think you have to give the fans a reason to want to follow this team. A nice long winning streak goes along way to accomplishing that. Still..... first game of the season, ESPN prime time game, new coach, new staff, audience participation should have been better.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. If you don't want empty sections in the 2nd half, don't go out and have the game end in the first 10 minutes.

That stadium will never be full and rocking with the program currently playing the level of football it is currently playing. It's unwatchable. So if your hoping for 40000 screaming fans it will not happen unless the product on the field improves.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I still think you have to give the fans a reason to want to follow this team. A nice long winning streak goes along way to accomplishing that. Still..... first game of the season, ESPN prime time game, new coach, new staff, audience participation should have been better.

I agree with most of this. The only problem is that this is how our student section looks at EVERY 3rd quarter except for 2-3 games since the Rent opened. Can we please change the G-damn bus schedule so that busses don't leave the stadium until 45 minutes AFTER the game ends?

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. If you don't want empty sections in the 2nd half, don't go out and have the game end in the first 10 minutes.

Again, this scene was not unique to just last night. The student sections look like this in the third quarters of games MUCH closer (some when we've been leading). This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Reaction Score
Again, this scene was not unique to just last night. The student sections look like this in the third quarters of games MUCH closer (some when we've been leading). This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Which ones? I was at the Michigan game and it remained full until the end.

You cannot control what other people do. You seem to think you can when it comes to attendance and what people do once they enter the stadium.

I have no idea how weak they've been during the Edsall years or which games you are referring to where they left early but it was obvious at halftime last night this game was over. It may have even been obvious after 10 minutes. Unless that changes, expect woefully weak atmospheres and crowds. It won't change unless the team improves. That's the bottom line truth and the rest is just crying over spilled milk.

Reaction Score
At least more than half of the student section was full during pre-game and at kickoff.

This was my view from section 223 at 6:45 last night. THIS makes me crazy.
THIS makes an equally bad impression when the broadcast begins with a pan of the stadium and you see the UCONN band and player family section filled, the almost full BYU section, and the diehards that got there on time, a half full student section, and the rest of the fans dressed as empty seats and bleachers.

Look, I get it that the traffic was horrific last night. We left Milford just before 3 and got to the Rent at 4. The WTIC traffic reporter listed tie up after accident after slowdown. It's the last holiday getaway of the summer. Understood.

When those factors are removed for next Saturday's noon start, or the Boise State game the following week, who'll be there for kickoff? The students or the folks who sit across from me? With all the pre-season buzz, Diaco's tour of the state to build excitement, I was really disappointed with the small crowd in the seats when the team took the field.

image.jpg

Dooley

Reaction Score
Which ones? I was at the Michigan game and it remained full until the end.

You cannot control what other people do. You seem to think you can when it comes to attendance and what people do once they enter the stadium.

I have no idea how weak they've been during the Edsall years or which games you are referring to where they left early but it was obvious at halftime last night this game was over. It may have even been obvious after 10 minutes. Unless that changes, expect woefully weak atmospheres and crowds. It won't change unless the team improves. That's the bottom line truth and the rest is just crying over spilled milk.

The Michigan game was one of the 2-3 games that the student section gave full support throughout. The other ones that I recall are Baylor and WVU win. I have been to every game at the Rent since it opened, except for 2 (weddings I couldn't skip), and the student section has looked like this in at least 80% of the 4th quarters of games. I remember being at the 3OT Pitt win (DJ Hernandez throwing out in the parking lot) and fans were running from the scoreboard side to the student side for crowd noise. Temple, chose to go INTO our student section for OT at a game. This is not new and needs to be addressed. We have an incredibly weak student section and have for over a decade.

Reaction Score
At least more than half of the student section was full during pre-game and at kickoff.

THIS makes an equally bad impression when the broadcast begins with a pan of the stadium and you see the UCONN band and player family section filled, the almost full BYU section, and the diehards that got there on time, a half full student section, and the rest of the fans dressed as empty seats and bleachers.

Look, I get it that the traffic was horrific last night. We left Milford just before 3 and got to the Rent at 4. The WTIC traffic reporter listed tie up after accident after slowdown. It's the last holiday getaway of the summer. Understood.

When those factors are removed for next Saturday's noon start, or the Boise State game the following week, who'll be there for kickoff? The students or the folks who sit across from me? With all the pre-season buzz, Diaco's tour of the state to build excitement, I was really disappointed with the small crowd in the seats when the team took the field.

View attachment 6727

This to me is a legitimate complaint of the fans. There is no excuse for the fans to not be in the stadium for kick off.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I know we're going to have this discussion on the student section and the casual fans every week... so I won't get worked up about it until it's a game where we have a legit shot to knock off a marquis opponent and the fans behave the same way.

Dooley

Reaction Score

View attachment 6727

This is horrendous. Also horrendous: having 2 gates open for lines a couple hundred deep.

Reaction Score

View attachment 6727

It's epidemic - Almost a mirror images of the UConn side of the stadium (absent player family ticket section).

image.jpg

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It's epidemic - Almost a mirror images of the UConn side of the stadium (absent player family ticket section).
View attachment 6728
In my view from row 2 of 240, I remember looking increduously at the blue seats across the way at about the 35 yard line. At some point into the game I noticed that there were large gaps in rows 2, 3 & 4. It would be the lower left of the blue seats in your picture.

Reaction Score
UConn decided to build the stadium in East Hartford, primarily for financial reasons. However, in so doing, UConn made it very difficult for students to turn out in huge numbers from pre-game until the final seconds like we see at schools where the stadium is on campus.

When my son was at Georgia Tech, he could roll out of bed at 11:45 and walk across campus to be there for a noon kick-off. Some of the dorms are literally across the street from the Bobby Dodd Stadium. Week night games, he could attend all his classes, grab some grub at the dining hall or his on-campus apartment, and get to the stadium well before kick-off. Far more efficient, convenient and affordable.

I cut the students some slack. Getting to and from the Rent is time consuming and inconvenient. The fact that so many do show up is pretty impressive. And I can understand them leaving early. With the post game traffic, it is probably an hour ride back to campus.

I think if UConn had built the stadium on campus student support would be vastly improved. But that ship sailed long ago.

A tradition of winning would also help...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Fellas, of all the problems we had yesterday, the students aren't one of them. My friend and I literally tried to "will" our section to make any sort of noise. The student section is ALWAYS the loudest section of The Rent every game. They were there, they were loud, they were all in national flag blue, and they are an absolute must for our gametime environment.

Did they stay until the bitter end? No. But they are the lifeblood of that stadium. Without them, that place might as well be Mystic Aquarium...

Dooley

Reaction Score
This is what I'm going to do: I am going to take a picture of the student section during intervals of every game this season and post them here. I will try to capture as much info in it as possible to prove I'm taking the pic at the time that I said I would...hence, no shenanigans.

1st pic - at kickoff
2nd pic - end of 1st quarter (when it is at its fullest)
3rd pic - 2nd half kickoff
4th pic - end of 3rd Q

I won't take any pics in the 4th Q unless the game is close and I think the amount of bleacher seats are exceptionally ridiculous. I will post the pics here in a new thread after each home game. Please ignore the thread if you don't care about it.

Our student section has given horrendous support to our football team for years now. I think many of you guys are remembering the Michigan game and applying that energy to every game throughout the years. If our football team is going to get any kind of home field advantage again, it starts with keeping the students in their seats and engaged. We've had 10+ years to figure this out and we're no closer to keeping the student more than 1/2 full in 2nd halves than we were 10 years ago.

Attendance and crowd support is something that we, as fans, have some control over. We have zero control over who plays, how frequently they play, or how well they play. We have control over what happens in the stands (and, indirectly, the court of national public perception...which gave us a blackeye last night). #HuskyUp

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This is what I'm going to do: I am going to take a picture of the student section during intervals of every game this season and post them here. I will try to capture as much info in it as possible to prove I'm taking the pic at the time that I said I would...hence, no shenanigans.

1st pic - at kickoff
2nd pic - end of 1st quarter (when it is at its fullest)
3rd pic - 2nd half kickoff
4th pic - end of 3rd Q

I won't take any pics in the 4th Q unless the game is close and I think the amount of bleacher seats are exceptionally ridiculous. I will post the pics here in a new thread after each home game. Please ignore the thread if you don't care about it.

Our student section has given horrendous support to our football team for years now. I think many of you guys are remembering the Michigan game and applying that energy to every game throughout the years. If our football team is going to get any kind of home field advantage again, it starts with keeping the students in their seats and engaged. We've had 10+ years to figure this out and we're no closer to keeping the student more than 1/2 full in 2nd halves than we were 10 years ago.

Attendance and crowd support is something that we, as fans, have some control over. We have zero control over who plays, how frequently they play, or how well they play. We have control over what happens in the stands (and, indirectly, the court of national public perception...which gave us a blackeye last night). #HuskyUp

Do me a favor, Dooley, and take a picture of them on any given 3rd down play, followed immediately by random pictures around the stadium. And then we'll see what we see. What I can tell you, having been three sections removed from them, is that they brought the noise more than any group in the stadium. And it's not even close. They are on their feet the entire time that they are there (even if they enter late). They are rowdy. And more to the point, many other sections of the stadium are NOT. Getting people to get out of their seats? Priceless...

Dooley

Reaction Score
Do me a favor, Dooley, and take a picture of them on any given 3rd down play, followed immediately by random pictures around the stadium. And then we'll see what we see. What I can tell you, having been three sections removed from them, is that they brought the noise more than any group in the stadium. And it's not even close. They are on their feet the entire time that they are there (even if they enter late). They are rowdy. And more to the point, many other sections of the stadium are NOT. Getting people to get out of their seats? Priceless...

We are on the same page about one thing: the student section makes the most noise during games. This is precisely why I want them to be in their G-damn seats for the ENTIRE game. Crowd noise is important, perhaps most important, in the 4th Q of games than the 1st Q. I'm not arguing the noise levels of the student sections. When they are packed from the 7 minute mark of the 1st Q through halftime, there is no question that they carry the stadium. That's the point I'm trying to make. When we have 5-10 rows empty out at HALFTIME of every game, it's tough to maintain that noise level. It gets worse as the 2nd half goes on, sometimes regardless of score.

We don't see the students leaving basketball games early. So why do they leave football games early?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We are on the same page about one thing: the student section makes the most noise during games. This is precisely why I want them to be in their G-damn seats for the ENTIRE game. Crowd noise is important, perhaps most important, in the 4th Q of games than the 1st Q. I'm not arguing the noise levels of the student sections. When they are packed from the 7 minute mark of the 1st Q through halftime, there is no question that they carry the stadium. That's the point I'm trying to make. When we have 5-10 rows empty out at HALFTIME of every game, it's tough to maintain that noise level. It gets worse as the 2nd half goes on, sometimes regardless of score.

We don't see the students leaving basketball games early. So why do they leave football games early?

I understand your frustration, but I'm telling you that it's misplaced. We are in agreement that they are our "best player" in the stadium. But rather than get mad at the other half-ashed players that are in the building, you're getting mad at our best player. I'm mad at the other 30k people who might as well be filling out a damned crossword puzzle! The RGIII days are long behind us, apparently. And like most things in CT, they won't return until UConn gets back to winning. Still...it ain't the students' fault...

Reaction Score
Students were rowdy and full most of the night. They left in fourth quarter of a four touchdown game? Treason! None issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom