UConn still has four open scholarships for next season but likely won’t fill all of them. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn still has four open scholarships for next season but likely won’t fill all of them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Other coaches could easily point to how limited Hurley’s use of his bench was.

I agree and this will hurt both with portal decisions as well as recruiting HS/Prep players until proven otherwise (especially if Sool and Floyd prove they are successful in D1 play).

Reaction Score
Other coaches could easily point to how limited Hurley’s use of his bench was.

I agree and this will hurt both with portal decisions as well as recruiting HS/Prep players until proven otherwise (especially if Sool and Floyd prove they are successful in D1 play).
I am so fricken sick of this narrative!

Hurley came here to rebuild the program & I’m sure an implied goal is to have improvements each year with no significant steps back.

With that being said, the last 2 years have presented unique situations, primarily driven by COVID (significantly altered recruiting, super seniors, etc)

This past season, I’m sure the retention of Whaley & Polley had a huge impact on the ability to provide “in-game” growth arcs for all but the most talented of the new recruits. Samson & Sool clearly weren’t ready for the rigors of the BE, and playing them this year for the sake of playing them (vs Whaley & Polley) would have undoubtedly resulted in at least couple more BE losses. Many on the BY would have gone apoplectic about that!

Too many variables to list with the early season games, but ultimately it meant that there weren’t going to be many opportunities for them to play lots of minutes in those either.

Samson needed at least 1.5 seasons of college S&C and a season of practice to really be a legit starter/sub. It was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention. I expect him to make a big leap this season & am excited to see it.

Sool ended up at an A-10 school. Even if he progresses and portals up to a P5 school in 1-2 years, that means nothing. Hurley had all year to eval him and the programs improvement arc can’t afford to possibly regress this year with him learning the ropes of being a BE point guard.

People can whisper whatever they want into potential recruits ears about Hurley not playing his bench, but this staff will tell the recruits that are worth us getting how you get PT and UConn and how the process works. There’s been nothing factual ever presented in public that the philosophy of “you earn PT based on how you practice” isn’t true.

Hawkins got more and more PT as the season went on because he’s got inherently more talent than those that sat the bench for his position & I’m sure he earned it with his practice performance. His defense and ball handling both got notably better in-game until he got his concussion.

Reaction Score
The counter argument is that we were deep, and Dan didn’t play the guys. So if you are coming here in a bench role, you may wonder whether Hurley will do that to you. I’m not arguing that is what happened (although in some respects I think it did) just the perception. Other coaches could easily point to how limited Hurley’s use of his bench was.

I agree we are all just spitballing about who will play, how much and in what role. Aside from Sanogo and Newton who are the only legit options at 5 and 1, everything else should be up for grabs.
LOL. And if you play 11 guys, coaches tell recruits he only plays the best guys 27 minutes a game and I’ll play you more.

Sorry, but so much of this imagined effect that not playing Floyd or Diggins had on anyone other than Floyd or Diggins (or, in Edwards case, a teammate), is utter nonsense.

Reaction Score
A sampling of teams that did not fill all of their scholarships:
kinda shocking. we got 10 guys so i'd like 1 more player whether it's another transfer or a 3* 2022 recruit. but more than happy to keep 2 schollys open this year for a 2023 reclass or two

Reaction Score
kinda shocking. we got 10 guys so i'd like 1 more player whether it's another transfer or a 3* 2022 recruit. but more than happy to keep 2 schollys open this year for a 2023 reclass or two
9 right now unless you're already counting Diarra.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I am so fricken sick of this narrative!

Hurley came here to rebuild the program & I’m sure an implied goal is to have improvements each year with no significant steps back.

With that being said, the last 2 years have presented unique situations, primarily driven by COVID (significantly altered recruiting, super seniors, etc)

This past season, I’m sure the retention of Whaley & Polley had a huge impact on the ability to provide “in-game” growth arcs for all but the most talented of the new recruits. Samson & Sool clearly weren’t ready for the rigors of the BE, and playing them this year for the sake of playing them (vs Whaley & Polley) would have undoubtedly resulted in at least couple more BE losses. Many on the BY would have gone apoplectic about that!

Too many variables to list with the early season games, but ultimately it meant that there weren’t going to be many opportunities for them to play lots of minutes in those either.

Samson needed at least 1.5 seasons of college S&C and a season of practice to really be a legit starter/sub. It was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention. I expect him to make a big leap this season & am excited to see it.

Sool ended up at an A-10 school. Even if he progresses and portals up to a P5 school in 1-2 years, that means nothing. Hurley had all year to eval him and the programs improvement arc can’t afford to possibly regress this year with him learning the ropes of being a BE point guard.

People can whisper whatever they want into potential recruits ears about Hurley not playing his bench, but this staff will tell the recruits that are worth us getting how you get PT and UConn and how the process works. There’s been nothing factual ever presented in public that the philosophy of “you earn PT based on how you practice” isn’t true.

Hawkins got more and more PT as the season went on because he’s got inherently more talent than those that sat the bench for his position & I’m sure he earned it with his practice performance. His defense and ball handling both got notably better in-game until he got his concussion.
So sorry you got sick - hope you feel better soon - wasn't my intention.
I credit you in speaking so strongly on subjects that are speculative at best to those outside the team inner circle
There are usually two sides to most every situation
No harm in bringing up some ramifications in all that has occurred since that NMSU dolt was ranting good bye to a blueblood.
I have been on the Hawkins bus before you even knew who he was but please tell me what makes you so sure that his performance in practice dramatically improved from day 1 to mid season. Hawkins will be fine with P/T. Are you 100% sure Sool and Floyd were underwhelming in practice? I've addressed what I saw and what I've heard. Hurley had his reasons (right or wrong) to play who he did and we can all guess what those could be.
He is the coach and he is doing what he thinks will produce a winner. I am fine with that and I really hope it works out. The fact that there was a decision by more than one player to walk away from Hurley's close knit team family is sure to raise questions and there is a possibility it could have a consequence in recruiting. My opinion is that it will come into play.
Don't worry, Hurley isn't going anywhere now but if there is another NMSU next season..................................

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
LOL. And if you play 11 guys, coaches tell recruits he only plays the best guys 27 minutes a game and I’ll play you more.

Sorry, but so much of this imagined effect that not playing Floyd or Diggins had on anyone other than Floyd or Diggins (or, in Edwards case, a teammate), is utter nonsense.
I’m not talking about Floyd (who was redshirted) or Diggins. More Akok and Johnson. The two guys he played too much were Whaley and Polley. Diggins was worse than Matt Garry in his limited minutes. But it doesn’t matter. The super senior/extra year thing is about over. It was bad for the game, especially coinciding with the portal.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom