UConn started play in the Big East in 2004... | The Boneyard

UConn started play in the Big East in 2004...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And shortly, UConn will have the second longest tenure in the football league, with only Rutgers being a football BE member longer.

Also, soon the league may start a season with only three teams in the league who have ever won it. Ville, Cinci and UConn.

Reaction Score
Well until UConn starts churning out 10+ win seasons and can hang in the top 25 get used to being in the Big East cause we're stuck here till the program gets better. It could be worse so lets just make the best of it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well until UConn starts churning out 10+ win seasons and can hang in the top 25 get used to being in the Big East cause we're stuck here till the program gets better. It could be worse so lets just make the best of it.

Do you really think the current quality of the team is driving this stuff? How would you explain Syracuse and Pittsburgh. Are they churning out 10 win seasons?

Reaction Score
They have some type of D-1 football tradition. UConn has none. That's why they were invited and we are not. Once we build tradition at UConn then the Huskies will be much more attractive.

Reaction Score
I personally have no problem with the ride we've been enduring. Better than being 1-AA/mid-major. The Catholic schools helped us, big-time. Kind of funny we end up winning the most national championships in their basketball conference.

Patience is a virtue. Little known fact.

Reaction Score
They have some type of D-1 football tradition. UConn has none. That's why they were invited and we are not. Once we build tradition at UConn then the Huskies will be much more attractive.
Except the ACC was all set to invite Cuse and UConn until BC pleaded into being allowed to be the only New England team. Bad luck on our part.

I hold hope that this new big east is a smashing success and becomes NBC's staple as far as college football. The remaining teams will have to do their part and up their level of play from previous seasons, and beat top teams from other leagues in bowl games as well.

Reaction Score
I actually hope we stay in the BE for another 3 years, because I want UConn to play Memphis, SMU, Houston, Boise, and San Diego at home, it would generate a lot of energy to The Rent.

Reaction Score
Except the ACC was all set to invite Cuse and UConn until BC pleaded into being allowed to be the only New England team. Bad luck on our part.

I hold hope that this new big east is a smashing success and becomes NBC's staple as far as college football. The remaining teams will have to do their part and up their level of play from previous seasons, and beat top teams from other leagues in bowl games as well.

This is not true.

Reaction Score
I actually hope we stay in the BE for another 3 years, because I want UConn to play Memphis, SMU, Houston, Boise, and San Diego at home, it would generate a lot of energy to The Rent.

Yeah, that's an exciting out of conference slate. Oh wait.

Reaction Score
It's possible three out of those five schools may be ranked when they come.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
For anyone holding out hope that the plan is for us to join SyraPitt in the ACC in a couple of years when they leave the BE, it would have to happen within the next month or so. With the 27 month notice requirment, we would have to give notice to the Big East by the end of March in order to be eligible to leave the BE at the same time as SyraPitt (in June 2014). Just an interesting timing note for anyone still holding out hope that we will be leaving with them.

So if you are holding out hope...keep your ears to the ground over the next month!:)

Reaction Score
For anyone holding out hope that the plan is for us to join SyraPitt in the ACC in a couple of years when they leave the BE, it would have to happen within the next month or so. With the 27 month notice requirment, we would have to give notice to the Big East by the end of March in order to be eligible to leave the BE at the same time as SyraPitt (in June 2014). Just an interesting timing note for anyone still holding out hope that we will be leaving with them.

So if you are holding out hope...keep your ears to the ground over the next month!:)

I think we are all witnessing the mirage that is the 27 month requiement.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I think we are all witnessing the mirage that is the 27 month requiement.

If you are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money, you can bypass the 27 months. But that isn't going to be an option for most teams/schools. I still believe that the B12 is going to secretly cover the money that WVU is going to have to pay the BE for exiting early. And that is only because they have so much to lose if they cannot comply with their current TV contract and don't have 10 teams next year. That will not be the case with the ACC/Syracuse/Pitt/etc. In these economic times, most schools don't have an extra $20MM just sitting in their coffers that they can use to pay the less-than-27-month exit fee required.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, we could cheer for the BE to blow up, but it's getting less and less likely. I think Memphis was added to negate the Catholic school's threat to break off if UL or UConn leaves.

Reaction Score
"Well, we could cheer for the BE to blow up, but it's getting less and less likely. I think Memphis was added to negate the Catholic school's threat to break off if UL or UConn leaves."

If I'm not mistaken isn't it the Catholic schools that put the Big East in this predicament in the first place? Who gives a rat's a!#s if they break off and split. Maybe then this league might start moving in a common sense direction without this Catholic school anchor tied around it's ankle. By the way, how many times in the last couple of decades have the Catholic schools made it to the Final Four? A BCS Bowl? Anything that has been viewed by more people than watch equestrian events?

Reaction Score
It's possible three out of those five schools may be ranked when they come.
Many things are possible, including none of the 5 schools being ranked, some or none of the five schools visiting The Rent, and, ideally, UConn being either a Big 10 or ACC conference member in the implied time period.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
By the way, how many times in the last couple of decades have the Catholic schools made it to the Final Four? A BCS Bowl? Anything that has been viewed by more people than watch equestrian events?

Final four (since 2000 anyway): nova 1x, gtown 1x, Marquette 1x (though not BE member at the time)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I think WVU just set the standard that this 27 months is a load of bull. Syracuse and Pitt will be out next season and will use WVU as the precident. UConn or any other school leaving this conference will say the exact same thing. The Big East has lost all leverage on keeping programs to the 27 month rule. So UConn could still leave in less than 27 months. It's going to be interesting to see how this will all play out now.

Reaction Score
It really is funny how we've only been playing BE football for 8 years (25% of the seasons being comference championship seasons, though) and people got their pitchforks and torches (and who knows what else) out to put us on par with the University of Michigan or Georgia Tech. What a spoiled bunch of fans we have.

Let's hope we win another BE title this upcoming season!

Reaction Score
It really is funny how we've only been playing BE football for 8 years (25% of the seasons being comference championship seasons, though) and people got their pitchforks and torches (and who knows what else) out to put us on par with the University of Michigan or Georgia Tech. What a spoiled bunch of fans we have.

Let's hope we win another BE title this upcoming season!
I agree. Let's just improve the out of conference schedule and win, then everything else will take care of itself. I'm really excited about the apparent upturn in recruiting and can't wait to see the product when we "introduce" D-1 football to UMass this fall.

Reaction Score
I agree. Let's just improve the out of conference schedule and win, then everything else will take care of itself. I'm really excited about the apparent upturn in recruiting and can't wait to see the product when we "introduce" D-1 football to UMass this fall.
Winning will take us up the recruiting ladder even more. We already out-recruit Iowa State, at least. Someone can do the research on who we out-recruit, if they want.

By the way, Edsall just landed a 5-star commit at UMD. The commit just decided to stay home. We need to get eastern NY and New England recruits to want to do the same! That is a decent-sized recruiting base to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom