UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller:

Recently, Lexi Gordon scored the 2,000th point of her career as she is averaging more than 20 points per game in the early stages this season.

Mikayla Coombs is also off to a strong start for the undefeated Wesleyan School.

Coombs has flirted with double-doubles in her last two games and through three games this season she is averaging 17.3 points, 7.3 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 4.7 steals per game.

In her most recent game Coombs had 25 points, eight rebounds, four assists and six steals in a 90-38 win over Tattnall County. Wesleyan has scored more than 90 points in the last two games.

The seasons for the other two signees (Andra Espinoza-Hunter and Megan Walker) won't start until next month.

[MORE]

JS

Reaction Score

Welcome to the thread, Ms. Collier.

8757cff90a3f40be839083265a6e6649.ashx

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
BY-ers,

I've changed up the colors of the chart to start reusing some colors (my mouse will not allow a certain color to be selected), and also fixed the class year chart as I posted so quickly last time. Enjoy!
Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 2.03.23 PM.png

Reaction Score
BY-ers,

I've changed up the colors of the chart to start reusing some colors (my mouse will not allow a certain color to be selected), and also fixed the class year chart as I posted so quickly last time. Enjoy!
Wow... it is something to really think about next year.... We lose Chong and Lawlor.... Very sad... but they will not have a huge impact on the core team that we currently have. We will gain not 4 but 6 new players. Two with experience and four brandie newbies... WOW!

Reaction Score
Wow... it is something to really think about next year.... We lose Chong and Lawlor.... Very sad... but they will not have a huge impact on the core team that we currently have. We will gain not 4 but 6 new players. Two with experience and four brandie newbies... WOW!
Crazy, isn't it???? That level of talent with this coaching staff! Geno is creating a legacy for the ages!

Reaction Score
I just read on another forum where someone wrote Williams and Nelson-ododa are better then Megan Walker. WTHeck? Come on man!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I just read on another forum where someone wrote Williams and Nelson-ododa are better then Megan Walker. WTHeck? Come on man!

For the unwise, opinions are like cherry bombs. They have no good reason to have them, they have way too many and so get rid of them by throwing them at others.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Thanks, BRS, for providing this excellent reference table. We have and will be having so many excellent players that it could get very confusing. All roads lead to Storrs, and the road to the NC is HiWay 195!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Thanks, BRS, for providing this excellent reference table. We have and will be having so many excellent players that it could get very confusing. All roads lead to Storrs, and the road to the NC is HiWay 195!

Well. it sure ain't I-95! :confused:

Reaction Score
Andi seems to be more highly regarded as time goes by. Somebody had her ranked 10th, right?

ASGR had her at #15
They also had Coombs at #4
and Gordon at #11. Not to mention Walker at #2?
It all makes for a reasonably good class. When added to how I think the 2018 class will turn out, there will be a lot of the "UConn is bad for the game" refrain emanating from wcbb circles once again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ASGR had her at #15
It all makes for a reasonably good class. When added to how I think the 2018 class will turn out, there will be a lot of the "UConn is bad for the game" refrain emanating from wcbb circles once again.
Damn! We have high standards! ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Andi seems to be more highly regarded as time goes by. Somebody had her ranked 10th, right?
She made the U16 team so that was sort of a top 12 ranking and performed OK - she started all the games and led the team in minutes so she must have been doing something right, but her shooting percentages weren't very good - she was one of the ten dropped from the team for the U17 which didn't seem to perform any better. Her ratings have fluctuated quite a bit year to year and service to service so maybe her game is an 'eye of the beholder' sort of think - like Kelly Faris for example.

Reaction Score
ASGR had her at #15

People just want to complain. Yes, Uconn gets good players, but if you really go thru the details schools like ND, SC, etc..have had a bunch of top recruiting classes just as much as UConn the last 8 years or so. UConn is getting the most of the talent more than other schools and the kids are progressing more as players year to year. Not all kid are UConn kids b/c to get the max out of your talent you have to put up with Geno. Many kids can't take his style, they want to be coddled, which may lead to them not reaching their full potential. You may not like Geno when he's on your case all the time, but you will be a better player and winning helps.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
People just want to complain. Yes, Uconn gets good players, but if you really go thru the details schools like ND, SC, etc..have had a bunch of top recruiting classes just as much as UConn the last 8 years or so. UConn is getting the most of the talent more than other schools and the kids are progressing more as players year to year. Not all kid are UConn kids b/c to get the max out of your talent you have to put up with Geno. Many kids can't take his style, they want to be coddled, which may lead to them not reaching their full potential. You may not like Geno when he's on your case all the time, but you will be a better player and winning helps.
I agree with everything except ... Uconn has an ability to get the right top talent. When you look at the true greats coming out of HS Uconn has gotten more than it's fair share, and unlike the men's game they get to keep them for four years. In the time that Baylor and TN got their one player (Griner and Parker) Uconn got three Moore, Stewart and EDD who they lost immediately. No other team has gotten one. (Maybe Stanford with Nneka?) And they surround those players with other #1 rated players or equivalents in Tina, KML, Moriah (technical #2 but behind Breanna so sort of a standard quality #1) and Lou, and filled in the blanks with high quality complementary players Rene, Morgan, Napheesa, Gabby, etc.
Almost all the players Uconn gets match or exceed the expectations placed on them by the rating services, and that as you note is what is truly special, and still others completely blow lesser expectations out of the water

Reaction Score
Allure Of Huskies Too Much For Recruit Collier To Pass Up

Like every elite recruit who walks into UConn's sparkling basketball practice facility, Charli Collier was drawn to the decor inside the gymnasium.

"That's something that struck me," said Collier, who made an oral commitment to UConn last weekend. "Just seeing [the banners]. You hear about it. But once you've seen it in person, you think about all that hard work that they've put in. You see the All-Americans, like Breanna Stewart, Maya Moore, you see all those names on the wall, being coached by Geno Auriemma. When you see those names up there, it's kind of a way to motivate yourself. That's what I want to be. That's what my goal is. That's what I want to do."

So when Charli Collier arrives in 2018, she'll join a roster that will be include seniors Samuelson, Stevens and Napheesa Collier (no relation), juniors Dangerfield and Camara, and sophomores Walker, Coombs, Gordon and Espinoza-Hunter.

"I can't wait," Charli Collier said.

[FULL ARTICLE]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom