UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (KLS, Collier, Boykin, Crystal-D, Irwin, AEH, Bent) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (KLS, Collier, Boykin, Crystal-D, Irwin, AEH, Bent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
PN's Keil Moore details the impact classes of 2015.

The Huskies wrapped up their 2015 class early with three quick commitments in the spring. No. 2 overall prospect Katie Lou Samuelson has the potential to be the next “it” kid in Storrs. More than anything she is a shotmaker and Geno Auriemma and his staff have had excellent success with shot makers in the past. Napheesa Collier has an abundance of potential and could develop into one of the most versatile and impactful players in the country during her time in college while Dejanae Boykin is the consummate glue player who will play her role at a high level.

http://www.prospectsnation.com/story/15-impact-classes-top-10

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
PN's Keil Moore details the impact classes of 2015.

The Huskies wrapped up their 2015 class early with three quick commitments in the spring. No. 2 overall prospect Katie Lou Samuelson has the potential to be the next “it” kid in Storrs. More than anything she is a shotmaker and Geno Auriemma and his staff have had excellent success with shot makers in the past. Napheesa Collier has an abundance of potential and could develop into one of the most versatile and impactful players in the country during her time in college while Dejanae Boykin is the consummate glue player who will play her role at a high level.

http://www.prospectsnation.com/story/15-impact-classes-top-10
Napheesa can be Morgan's understudy. What a great player to learn from!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Mater Dei will face Nebraska recruit Jessica Shepard next. Shepard had 38 points and 20 rebounds today.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Blackman wins their first game at the Nike TOC behind 21 points from Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
@klhoops: Final 67-34 Mater Dei over Skyline @33katielou ends up with 41, including 10 3's...

Ten 3's! Oh my, this is gonna be fun! As they like to say back at Mater Dei these days: Go LouConn!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
I'm hoping to watch DJB's game tonight. Oxon Hill, the opponent, is only 8 miles from my home. They will not be able to compete against Flowers and De'Janae, but I'll see what more I can discern about DJB's game. Recollections from last year's beat down of Oxon Hill: It was obvious when the team walked in as to which one was DJB--tall, lanky, fluid, athletic. Team player, not selfish. Good rebounder, threw long outlet passes--with either hand. Good ball rotation on her shot, though I couldn't tell if she was a good shooter or not. Reasonable effort for a game that was about 65-25 or so. I hope to see her against better competition, but tonight will not be the night. Flowers lost to National Cathedral by a few about a week ago. Cathedral is undefeated and features Marta Sniezek, a Stanford commit averaging 31 ppg. Sniezek is also an AA soccer player. Last year, Flowers lost only twice, both to undefeated powerhouse Eleanor Roosevelt. ER's games in the last week have had scores of 70-12 and 69-12. Guard Kaila Charles is very good for ER. She's only a junior.

Did you see DJB play this evening...?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good timing, Mike. I just got home from DJB's game. It was much like last year, though DJB shot the ball better last year. Flowers beat Oxon Hill by about 30. DJB and the other starters were removed with the score 58-18 and 5 minutes left. Oxon Hill went to the opening tap with 4 players in a zone on the defensive end. They knew they would not win the tap.

Approximate stats for DJB: 15 points on 7-22 shooting, 7 boards, 6 steals, 5 blocks, 3 assists, 4 TOs, 1 foul. She air-balled both 3-point attempts. She shot 1-6 on FTs. The 4th and 6th shots were left-handed for some unknown reason.

She shot 1-10 in the first quarter with about 6 missed layups, some left-handed, some scoop shots, one of which was blocked by a 5'5" player. At times, she looked raw. At other times, she looked very good. She had some nice assists and blocks. She would get a defensive rebound and take it the length of the court through traffic. On one, she had a nice dish. She made about 3 hoops that way, including with her left hand. She also missed a few.

I'm spoiled by watching UConn. No one tonight played as hard as the Huskies. DJB will learn that she has another gear or two. She will need to eliminate bad habits like putting the ball on the floor after an offensive rebound. She needs to improve her shooting and utilize the scoop shot more selectively. DJB has good length and athleticism. She also dribbles well, especially for her size. I was reminded of Geno's recent comments on Gabby Williams about how raw she is. But Gabby is improving rapidly now. I see De'Janae as someone who can clearly benefit from elite coaching. She has a lot of tools and, by all accounts, is a good kid and teammate. I'll go see her again. I hope to see Megan Walker this season as well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Boykin has been playing with a sprained wrist according to her father. Or at least she was. She had 30 pts and 15 rebs on Tuesday according to him too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Boykin has been playing with a sprained wrist according to her father. Or at least she was. She had 30 pts and 15 rebs on Tuesday according to him too.
She had a bandage on her wrist. That could explain the left-handed attempts and off-shooting night.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
do you think Geno will give her the green light for left handed 3s ?
Not likely. :) I saw KML shoot lefty treys in Mater Dei warm-ups. She had perfect ball rotation. K has the best hands I've seen.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dan Olsen recaps Day 1 of the TOC.
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/140689/katie-lou-samuelson
Katie Lou Samuelson, the No. 1 prospect in the country and a UConn signee, and her Mater Dei (Santa Ana, California) teammates tipped off the 85-team tournament by disposing of Skyline (Dallas) 67-34. Samuelson lived up to her hype and boosted her team to a big win. She poured in 41 points, including 10 3-pointers, going 10-for-17 from behind the arc. Samuelson hit her first four 3-point attempts, making it difficult for Skyline to sink its teeth into the game and make any sort of charge.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...muelson-jessica-shepard-set-nike-toc-showdown

HGN

Reaction Score
Boykin had a so-so game scoring only 15pts in a 64--35 blowout win of Oxon Hill HS last night....sitting out much of the 2nd half.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Boykin had a so-so game scoring only 15pts in a 64--35 blowout win of Oxon Hill HS last night....sitting out much of the 2nd half.
We think she played with a sprained wrist. I was there (see above).

She and the other starters were taken out with 5 mins left and the score 58-18.

HGN

Reaction Score
We think she played with a sprained wrist. I was there (see above).

She and the other starters were taken out with 5 mins left and the score 58-18.
Milford, a sprained wrist would explain it. Hopefully she doesn't do any further damage or get whacked on it too severely while continuing to play.

Reaction Score
Just watched KLS put up 36 against Freemont (Nebraska). Didn't seem like 36, she just took over the game in spurts when they needed it, and it all added up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just watched KLS put up 36 against Freemont (Nebraska). Didn't seem like 36, she just took over the game in spurts when they needed it, and it all added up.
Wow! How did Shepard the Cornhusker recruit look?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some great players turned into legends at the TOC: Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Elena Delle Donne, Kaleena Lewis. Lou is following in big footsteps. By the way, what's the TOC scoring record?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yes, 36 for KLS in Mater Dei's victory. And Crystal Dangerfield had 18 in Blackman's win today.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Prospect Nation's report on KLS's performance from Thursday:

Katie Lou Samuelson (Huntington Beach, Calif.), Mater Dei HS – 2015

A year ago, Samuelson made her mark here on day two of the event. This year, it only took her one game. The 6-foot-3 wing has become of one the country’s premier all-around prospects. A Connecticut signee, Samuelson went bananas in the opening round contest against Skyline High School out of Dallas, Texas, finishing with a Mater Dei record 41 points. In the process, the five-star senior also set another record with 10 3-point shots made. The scary part for whoever else stands in Samuelson’s way this weekend is that she could have easily finished with another two or three made after seeing a couple roll off the rim. Samuelson has long been considered by our staff as the nation’s No. 1 wing prospect in the senior class and this showing did nothing but show the basketball community why we hold Samuelson’s overall skill set in such high regard.

http://www.prospectsnation.com/node/19017

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou reminds me of a certain player from Delaware. Very tall and a world-class shooter. Definitely Olympic potential.

Reaction Score
Wow! How did Shepard the Cornhusker recruit look?
Shepard looked good. She is about Lou's height and looks about 50-75 lbs heavier. Lou couldn't budge her - but COULD go around her. Lou will need to bulk up a little, especially upper body. In the pic below Shepard is behind Lou, with hands on Lou's waist (bad pic, but it's the only one I got of Shepard).

KLS 121419.jpg

Reaction Score
Dangerfield's Blackman team played Desert Vista today, our local public high school in my neighborhood, and a perennial Phoenix sports powerhouse. Blackman beat them handily. The main thing that impressed me about Danger is her size. If MoJett is a 7th grader, then Crystal is a 4th grader. Seriously small. But fast, VERY fast!

Danger 121914.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member