UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She just seems to be a fundamentally solid player. Good footwork, soft shot with range, good passer, accurate free throw shooter. Almost like she is a coaches daughter! :rolleyes:
Is Kayla a potential starter next year?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Between losing Cox, Morgan's knee, and Boykin's transfer, Kyla has become a much more important cog than she otherwise would have been.

Cox was a pipe dream, but dead on with the rest. Kyla has lots to like... get over freshman shock and awe and she'll do good things. A pretty complete skills package.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/2

Kyla Irwin exploded for a career high 43 points on Tuesday in a 67-59 win for State College.

Crystal Dangerfield had a big second half on her way to 26 points putting her over 2,000 for her high school career.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
2/2

Kyla Irwin exploded for a career high 43 points on Tuesday in a 67-59 win for State College.

Crystal Dangerfield had a big second half on her way to 26 points putting her over 2,000 for her high school career.
In the immortal words of Andrew H. Brown; "Holy Mackerel, Kingfish"!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think I can offer a safe prediction about Kyla and Molly even though I have never seen them play other than short highlight clips:

• They will be intelligent and highly motivated, and will not make mental errors with any frequency.
  • They will be in great physical shape and have a lot of endurance.
  • There will be certain things, such as jump shooting and especially free throw shooting, that they do exceptionally well -- far better than most of their teammates.
  • Their overall technique on both offense and defense will be excellent.
  • They will quickly learn the offense and will be very good passers.
  • BUT, they will be slower and have less leaping ability than most of their teammates, which will be a problem for them on defense. If that were not the case, they would be ranked higher by the rating services.
In other words, they will in all of these respects be quite similar to Courtney Ekmark (and perhaps also Natalie Butler, although she seems to make a lot more mental errors than I would have expected).

Does that mean that they will be as far towards the end of the bench as Courtney has been thus far? Not necessarily, but that is certainly a possible outcome. If it is true for Molly, that will be tolerable because UConn will have plenty of backcourt depth next year. But if it is true for Kyla, it will be a problem for the team's front court depth, one that could actually cost a few losses that might not otherwise occur.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think I can offer a safe prediction about Kyla and Molly even though I have never seen them play other than short highlight clips:

• They will be intelligent and highly motivated, and will not make mental errors with any frequency.
  • They will be in great physical shape and have a lot of endurance.
  • There will be certain things, such as jump shooting and especially free throw shooting, that they do exceptionally well -- far better than most of their teammates.
  • Their overall technique on both offense and defense will be excellent.
  • They will quickly learn the offense and will be very good passers.
  • BUT, they will be slower and have less leaping ability than most of their teammates, which will be a problem for them on defense. If that were not the case, they would be ranked higher by the rating services.
In other words, they will in all of these respects be quite similar to Courtney Ekmark (and perhaps also Natalie Butler, although she seems to make a lot more mental errors than I would have expected).

Does that mean that they will be as far towards the end of the bench as Courtney has been thus far? Not necessarily, but that is certainly a possible outcome. If it is true for Molly, that will be tolerable because UConn will have plenty of backcourt depth next year. But if it is true for Kyla, it will be a problem for the team's front court depth, one that could actually cost a few losses that might not otherwise occur.
I think it is always problematic to rely too much on rating services, especially for players who do not play on big traveling teams or in large cities - they just don't get seen as often by those doing ratings. With Bent, I suspect her two sport status has seriously impeded her AAU play as well. I suspect Irwin will remind people of Stef in terms of speed and leaping ability, as well as in court awareness footwork and passing - whether she progresses as well as Stef did at Uconn - who knows. With Bent maybe a Mel Thomas or a more athletic Maria?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Haven't seen anything resembling slow from Bent yet. Think she's got a chance to be a really good defensive player.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Sorry Joe, but you lost me right there. :)

Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/4

Kyla Irwin scored 29 points on Thursday to becoming State College's all-time leader scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom