UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The very first thing she mentions when she talks basketball is team championships. Sounds like she'll fit perfectly into that "husky family."

But that Southern 2nd person plural pronoun Y'all...:eek:
Hey - at least she used "Y'all" as the plural, not the true Southern plural form, "All y'all." (Possibly when Andi gets here our 2016 Tennessee recruit will need to learn her how to talk)

Reaction Score
ANSWERS PLEASE. I understand we have not even had the first exhibition game of the 2015/16 season so the question is of course very premature. That said does UConn currently have signed letters of intent from Dangerfield, Irwin, and Bent? Are all three, as of now, coming for the 2016/17 season or am I getting one (Bent?) too early? If they are all supposed to be in the mix for November of 2016 then it would seem we have a pretty crowded bench with 13, a doen of whom would be recruited/scholarship athletes. That roster sie is so out of character for Geno and we're all still talking about the possible addition of Cox. Just wondering. Hope all are having a great day.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That said does UConn currently have signed letters of intent from Dangerfield, Irwin, and Bent? Are all three, as of now, coming for the 2016/17 season or am I getting one (Bent?) too early?

They sign their LOI in November and all will be freshmen next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ANSWERS PLEASE. I understand we have not even had the first exhibition game of the 2015/16 season so the question is of course very premature. That said does UConn currently have signed letters of intent from Dangerfield, Irwin, and Bent? Are all three, as of now, coming for the 2016/17 season or am I getting one (Bent?) too early? If they are all supposed to be in the mix for November of 2016 then it would seem we have a pretty crowded bench with 13, a doen of whom would be recruited/scholarship athletes. That roster sie is so out of character for Geno and we're all still talking about the possible addition of Cox. Just wondering. Hope all are having a great day.

Bill - every year there are two signing periods for current HS seniors - the 'early period' in November (which is now when most seniors sign their letters) and the 'standard period' in April (which is now just 'stragglers' who hadn't decided by Nov. but used to be when most letters were signed.)

A coach can 'offer' a scholarship really at any time of year at any age from birth, and a player can 'commit' to a school at any time from birth onward, but none of that is in anyway binding on either party until the LOI is executed, and that can only happen during the recruits senior year (or after they have graduated.)

On edit - So no junior or younger player who has 'committed' is actually signed and sealed - but yes Bent, Danger, and Irwin are all 2016. Geno has said his ideal roster size is 11, but control of who is willing to come each year and who they want to come is not up to him, but the vagaries of 16-18 year olds and the talent pool in any given recruiting class.

When he offered Bent, the writing was on the wall for the other guard/wing type players who had been on the recruiting radar - they were not coming. Uconn is still involved with Cox and obviously would gladly accept her commitment which would take the scholarship roster to 13 - a level it hasn't been at for quite some time, but not unheard of (if Morgan stays and I think she will.) And it would probably reduce the size of the recruiting classes in future years.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . comments I've seen on several other boards from people trying to denigrate the play of Crystal Dangerfield. Among other things being peddled is that Dangerfield is turnover prone and some sort of chucker.

A good example of a message board legend, gaining momentum among the gullible commentariat. We should not be surprised at this dissing of a player from Tennessee who has committed to UConn.

Reaction Score
Uconn is still involved with Cox and obviously would gladly accept her commitment which would take the scholarship roster to 13 - a level it hasn't been at for quite some time, but not unheard of (if Morgan stays and I think she will.) And it would probably reduce the size of the recruiting classes in future years.
Based on all I have read should Cox indicate a willingness to join the UConn program I would agree roster size is irrelevant. I totally agree that Tuck should and hopefully will stay. If for no other reason then she may be a one of a kind and will own five national championship rings. Now there is some circular reasoning.

Reaction Score
It's interesting to me just how excited we can become over recruits before they ever slide into our uniform. I share the board's enthusiasm for Dangerfield, and I hope that Irwin does become "a smaller Dolson", but it's a lot to ask of any point guard to think that she might start as a freshman for UCONN, especially knowing that Chong will be here and that Nurse can, and probably will, spend some time at point.

Irwin may develop into a "Dolson type" but that will also take work. I would be very happy to think that she might give us Crocket type minutes, spelling forwards and developing into a bruiser under the backboard. If we get more than that then she will hang like so many others have from the UCONN tree as another of the coaching staff's great accomplishments.

These kids are joining the best team in the country and the competition for playing time will be fierce. I hope they get here and set the world on fire, but they'll have to go through Chong and Boykin to find court time.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno has said his ideal roster size is 11, but control of who is willing to come each year and who they want to come is not up to him. . . . Uconn is still involved with Cox and obviously would gladly accept her commitment which would take the scholarship roster to 13 - a level it hasn't been at for quite some time, but not unheard of (if Morgan stays and I think she will.) And it would probably reduce the size of the recruiting classes in future years.

This post is helpful for us to us to understand Geno's apparent reticence in offering Daniel Patterson, among other quality HS players who have reportedly appeared on the UConn radar. Looking ahead, and with roster size in mind, Geno is faced with some decisions that are unique to UConn:

1. He simply doesn't have room on the roster for all of the blue-chippers who want to come to UConn;

2. He can and will continue to be highly selective;

3. He must also very carefully manage offers with team needs (e.g., posts/guards) in mind; and,

3. He must spread out his incoming classes so as to avoid those too large (>4) or too small (<2) so as to maintain a steady stream of incoming/graduating talent.​

In addition he must clear his crystal ball to identify possible future injuries (e.g., Nicole Wolff) or transfers (e.g., Elena).

I believe we can count on a couple things:

1. Geno knows how to count to 15. More seriously, there ain't no way that he either over-recruits (above allowable 15) or pulls schollies (if Morgan wants to stay 5 years, she stays).

2. Geno and his staff will remain faithful to the principles and standards they have so rigidly established about PT (no promises), code of conduct, and attitude.

3. UConn will continue to view competition in the rear view mirror.​

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kib - nice post, welcome back from 'vacation'! :rolleyes:

Along those lines and the Crystal Ball capabilities of the coaches - I believe the 'ideal size' of eleven that I mentioned dates back to a period before the last 5 years with a spate of transfers and injuries, and that he may have revised the number of scholarship players for his team upwards understanding that players are more likely to transfer today than they were 5 years ago, and that injuries just happen, and playing/practicing with a healthy roster of 7 which he has done, or advertising on campus for walk ons as was done two years ago is not an ideal way to run the program.

(The other number of course is three - the perfect repeating class size - but that is even harder to maintain year after year. In a perfect world for Geno, he gets three good recruits each year so he has a roster of 12, that does not change year after year after year. And of course the required balance within such an ideal recruiting scheme of one guard, one wing, and one 4/5 player in each of those three player classes, just doesn't happen! If only recruiting for his college team was as easy as recruiting for the National team!)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In a perfect world for Geno, he gets three good recruits each year. . . .And of course the required balance within such an ideal recruiting scheme of one guard, one wing, and one 4/5 player in each of those three player classes, just doesn't happen!

It nearly happened several years ago, when Sherwood (post), Wright (PG) and Robinson (shooting guard) all came together as freshmen. Apparently Geno's crystal ball got foggy cuz all three transferred before returning as sophomores. I also recall two solo classes (Ashley Valley and Kelly Faris).

Shows that recruiting is an art, not a science.

Plain dumb luck (e.g., Butler) helps.

Alas,

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes - as you point out he hit the trifecta once in the last 15 years, though you could really say the Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson class is even better since you have one guard and two players able to play 3,4, and 5. And the current class if you stretch Lou to 'guard' which some have (including USA basketball in their listing.) And 2010 started as five ended at two but did have a nice cross section Dolson as C, Hartley as PG, Engeln as SG, and two forwards in Walker and Johnson - ended as two, but a pretty nice two!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I also recall two solo classes (Ashley Valley and Kelly Faris).
Chong was also a solo "recruiting" class. Luckily thought, TLaw walked on.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It's interesting to me just how excited we can become over recruits before they ever slide into our uniform. I share the board's enthusiasm for Dangerfield, and I hope that Irwin does become "a smaller Dolson", but it's a lot to ask of any point guard to think that she might start as a freshman for UCONN, especially knowing that Chong will be here and that Nurse can, and probably will, spend some time at point.

Irwin may develop into a "Dolson type" but that will also take work. I would be very happy to think that she might give us Crocket type minutes, spelling forwards and developing into a bruiser under the backboard. If we get more than that then she will hang like so many others have from the UCONN tree as another of the coaching staff's great accomplishments.

These kids are joining the best team in the country and the competition for playing time will be fierce. I hope they get here and set the world on fire, but they'll have to go through Chong and Boykin to find court time.
My fervent hope for Irwin is that she become a Bascom type. That's not asking too much, is it? :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My fervent hope for Irwin is that she become a Bascom type. That's not asking too much, is it? :eek:

How about a clone of either Morgan Valley or Meghan Gardler? Some scoring (8-10 ppg) and rebounds (5-6 pg), plus smart, steady play at both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
...When he offered Bent, the writing was on the wall for the other guard/wing type players who had been on the recruiting radar - they were not coming. Uconn is still involved with Cox and obviously would gladly accept her commitment which would take the scholarship roster to 13 - a level it hasn't been at for quite some time, but not unheard of (if Morgan stays and I think she will.) And it would probably reduce the size of the recruiting classes in future years.
Morgan declared this past spring that she intends to stay at UConn for a fifth year to play basketball and obtain a masters degree. [BONEYARD LINK]

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Java - Jewel supposedly declared in Feb 2015 that she was returning for her senior year.
I have always thought that Morgan would be returning for her fifth year, but a lot can happen in twelve months and it is always possible she changes her mind. I sure hope she is back, but like to hedge my bet just a little.

Reaction Score
I think it's because he's been following her play since Chong's recruitment and knows what she can bring to the team.

Not much said about Chong, but she is arguably one of the team's most important assets. Coming off the bench to spell Kia and Mo, bringing speed and energy, dropping in the occasional three, and driving to the basket, are a few of her contributions.

Reaction Score
Java - Jewel supposedly declared in Feb 2015 that she was returning for her senior year.
I have always thought that Morgan would be returning for her fifth year, but a lot can happen in twelve months and it is always possible she changes her mind. I sure hope she is back, but like to hedge my bet just a little.
Fair enough. I was just letting you know that she had previously stated her intent.

Reaction Score
It nearly happened several years ago, when Sherwood (post), Wright (PG) and Robinson (shooting guard) all came together as freshmen. Apparently Geno's crystal ball got foggy cuz all three transferred before returning as sophomores. I also recall two solo classes (Ashley Valley and Kelly Faris).

Shows that recruiting is an art, not a science.

Plain dumb luck (e.g., Butler) helps.

Alas,
Might just be me getting old but I have no recollection at all of Sherwood, Wright, and Robinson. Do you recall where they transferred to and any clue how they performed? Thanks

Reaction Score
Might just be me getting old but I have no recollection at all of Sherwood, Wright, and Robinson. Do you recall where they transferred to and any clue how they performed? Thanks
Sherwood transferred to Vanderbilt, didn't set the world on fire

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Sherwood transferred to Vanderbilt. Geno uses a lot of space in his book to describe the difficult relationship with Liz's dad and her refusal to get in shape.

Wright was genuinely homesick so Geno gave her a waiver so that when she went to St. John's she could play right away. She played well for Kim Barnes-Arico, who thanked Geno later by spanking UConn in Gampel. (Helped get her HC psn at Michigan.)

Robinson disappeared at some D2 school.

Reaction Score
The very first thing she mentions when she talks basketball is team championships. Sounds like she'll fit perfectly into that "husky family."

But that Southern 2nd person plural pronoun Y'all...:eek:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sherwood transferred to Vanderbilt. Geno uses a lot of space in his book to describe the difficult relationship with Liz's dad and her refusal to get in shape.

Wright was genuinely homesick so Geno gave her a waiver so that when she went to St. John's she could play right away. She played well for Kim Barnes-Arico, who thanked Geno later by spanking UConn in Gampel. (Helped get her HC psn at Michigan.)

Robinson disappeared at some D2 school.
Who was the player that got suspended for not putting forth enough effort, and shortly thereafter transferred? Was that Robinson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom