UCONN/SC: WHICH TEAM BENEFITS MORE? | The Boneyard

UCONN/SC: WHICH TEAM BENEFITS MORE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By meeting in a mid season game, does UCONN or South Carolina (or neither) gain an advantage should the two meet again at the Final Four?

One could argue that South Carolina stands to gain more, primarily because this team has never competed against a team of UCONN's calibre nor on such a national stage. Win or lose (and I predict the latter), they will gain invaluable experience which will only serve them well in a future showdown. And even a close loss would bolster the confidence of this young team.

On the other hand, should South Carolina upset the Huskies, or the game even be close, no coach can make adjustments like Geno. Plus no one can motivate like Geno and the team would be even better prepared a second time around. Furthermore, a blowout by UCONN could irreparably damage the psyche of a young SC team.

Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
I don't think it matters that much,except for the fans,who wins the game. remember, I think we lost 3 times during the regular season to ND , but won the CH. All it did was give ND bragging rights and a sense of ,temporarily, invulnerability . GENO is a genius at game planning, even tho in that case it took him awhile to convince the players .

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I hope it's an outstanding game for the good of the sport. Obviously, I want to win, but conference games are more important. I want to run Tennessee out of the CLAW on February 23rd.

Back to the OP's question, a win benefits USC more in terms of the belief they can win a national championship. The Huskies already know they can.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
By meeting in a mid season game, does UCONN or South Carolina (or neither) gain an advantage should the two meet again at the Final Four?

One could argue that South Carolina stands to gain more, primarily because this team has never competed against a team of UCONN's calibre nor on such a national stage. Win or lose (and I predict the latter), they will gain invaluable experience which will only serve them well in a future showdown. And even a close loss would bolster the confidence of this young team.

On the other hand, should South Carolina upset the Huskies, or the game even be close, no coach can make adjustments like Geno. Plus no one can motivate like Geno and the team would be even better prepared a second time around. Furthermore, a blowout by UCONN could irreparably damage the psyche of a young SC team.

Any thoughts?

Depends on the outcome. If South Carolina pulls off the upset, advantage Connecticut, as they'll play for revenge should they meet in the NCAAs. Think Notre Dame-UConn 2013.

If South Carolina hangs tough and loses late or in a close one, advantage USC, as they'll have the revenge factor and confidence that they can hang with/beat Connecticut. Think Notre Dame/UConn 2011

If South Carolina gets romped (which is what I'm guessing will happen), advantage Huskies because getting slaughtered by a team this late in the season is a pretty good indication of what will happen in a rematch. Think UCONN-Louisville matchups in 2009 and 2013.

Reaction Score
Depends on the outcome. If South Carolina pulls off the upset, advantage Connecticut, as they'll play for revenge should they meet in the NCAAs. Think Notre Dame-UConn 2013.

If South Carolina hangs tough and loses late or in a close one, advantage USC, as they'll have the revenge factor and confidence that they can hang with/beat Connecticut. Think Notre Dame/UConn 2011

If South Carolina gets romped (which is what I'm guessing will happen), advantage Huskies because getting slaughtered by a team this late in the season is a pretty good indication of what will happen in a rematch. Think UCONN-Louisville matchups in 2009 and 2013.
SCU for the reasons you articulated.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I interpreted the original question differently -- asking who would gain a greater advantage at the X's-and-O's level (seeing each other's game strategy) rather than at the psychology-team confidence level. The significance of the question is how this regular season meeting will affect the outcome of a probable future meeting of these same teams in the NCAA Tournament.

I think Dawn's role as an assistant to Geno on the USA team probably gave her a chance to see most of his playbook and most of his thinking about how to run a game. As the assistant, she wouldn't necessarily have divulged as much about her own basketball strategies, since she was there to support him. So on Monday night, she should have more of an insight into his thinking than he will have into hers. So the Gamecocks will have that edge in the upcoming game.

If they meet again in the Final Four, as seems likely, that advantage will be gone, and then Geno should have the advantage of having seen how Dawn uses her roster. She will have to come up with a surprise for that game, because Geno certainly will.

Reaction Score

The loser will win.

Reaction Score
Geno has won 901 games because he know s what he is doing...apparently , according to the halftime interview, this was the third straight game his leading players did not meet expectations...playing time is the biggest card a coach has to get his point across and he played it today....I suspect a positive response from our leading players and hence, advantage UCONN

Reaction Score
USC seats it top post player, Geno says I'll sit mine and raise you two. Poker at it's finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom