UConn roster - 2024 and beyond ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn roster - 2024 and beyond ...

Reaction Score
I can’t believe how little love Ash is getting on this thread. She will be a part of the rotation for sure.
I too love Ash’s game but I can see why she’s not an automatic starter next year. The talent on this team is almost unprecedented! Everything except for Paige is probably up in the air. I think Jana, Strong, and
Azzi, if 100% are very likely but even they are not set in stone!

Reaction Score
I’m surprised how many people see Jana as a starter. We’ve never seen her play and, as a foreigner, she wasn’t ranked. Yes she’s tall, but so is Amari. I. Sure hope she’s good enough to start, but to me a more likely scenario is that Ice and another of our “bigs” (Sarah?) start in the frontcourt. Or maybe a 1 year portal transfer?
There is plenty of video of Jana playing basketball. Sure, the quality of opponents is not super high but believe me, she has shown enough to warrant the optimism being shown on this thread!

Reaction Score
These Highlights really show off Jana's full capability. Her shot is beautiful and can be expected to be a high percentage free throw shooter on top of having post skills.
I also love the way she runs the court. She is a very athletic 6’5”. There’s a couple of good transition plays on that video

Reaction Score
These Highlights really show off Jana's full capability. Her shot is beautiful and can be expected to be a high percentage free throw shooter on top of having post skills.
Look at the rotation on her shot!:) I believe she’s going to be a big star for us! I think there’s plenty of videos on her that justify some pretty high expectations on our part!

Reaction Score
There is plenty of video of Jana playing basketball. Sure, the quality of opponents is not super high but believe me, she has shown enough to warrant the optimism being shown on this thread!
I think the reason so many have Jana starting even though she hasn't proven anything yet, is partly our optimism over her future, and partly because her likely competition if anything has under-performed expectations. Ice, Ayanna, and Jana probably came in with roughly similar expectations IMO. Two of those have a one year track record that doesn't rule out achieving at a high level, but has dampened expectations somewhat. Jana hasn't so much jumped ahead of them, as they fell behind.

Of the smalls, we have a couple of players who have proven something, being pretty good in their freshmen season. But KK and Ash have tons of very high level competition this year, including two players who were better than them in their freshmen season (Azzi and Caroline), and two incoming frosh with similar HS rankings (Allie and Morgan).

So do I think Jana has as good a chance to start as KK or Ash? Yes, and I think she will be very good, but frankly as the only player over 6-3 her path to starting is much easier. For positions 1-3, I see Paige and Azzi (if healthy) as locks and as many as 7 good candidates (including Q) for that third perimeter spot. Being as good as KK and Ash were last year, even with some significant improvement, may not be good enough to be at the top of that very good list of competitors.

In the backcourt we can be near certain that whoever starts will have to be very good, but at the 5 we are far more dependent on Jana being the real deal, unless we pull in a top portal transfer.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Saw the news of Amari & Ines while enjoying a girls' day at Busch Gardens and thought, darn it, there goes the roster grid. So, I'm going to wait just a little bit longer before posting an update, because, well, you know. ;)
Still gonna wait ... unless ... reverse mojo where I post an update with Chen and then we get another? Hmmmm ...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Now it's time :):(
One more roster spot. Beers to Oklahoma, but Geno May not be done yet.
Let's be heroes - Jonathan Moxon, Varsity Blues
1714418645930.jpeg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
eligibility wise, aren't Ice and Ayanna Sophomores and Jana a Freshman (I know-she's been here going on 3 years, but hasn't played a game yet) in 24/25?
I'm keeping them marked by academic class and if they stay for a 5th year, then will code them as super seniors. It's been challenging enough keeping the redshirt & covid years straight.

Reaction Score
eligibility wise, aren't Ice and Ayanna Sophomores and Jana a Freshman (I know-she's been here going on 3 years, but hasn't played a game yet) in 24/25?
The bottom chart has it correct, four years for Jana and three more for Ayanna and Ice. All extra eligibility accounted for. The main immediate point is one extra spot for 25/26 if everyone that could returned did (Paige, Azzi, Caroline), possibly for Somfai for example, but that's it. Any portal pickup with more than one year left could take away that extra 2025 recruit like Somfai if everyone returned and no departures.

Now the odds are pretty good another spot will open up for a variety of reasons, but it is not assured, so any multiple year portal addition has to be weighed against that potential downside, making a one year rental preferable unless you are getting a big game changer IMO.

Reaction Score
With Paige being held back till early fall last year to give her 13 months between surgery and full contact I think Geno will be extra careful with Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, & Ayanna, giving them more time to make sure they're healed!
Jana started full practice at the end of last season so she'll be good to go in October!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom