UConn Pro-Day/NFL Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Pro-Day/NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How do you separate 1 guy from another when you have dozens on the board, schemes to consider, health and personality issues, etc.? The moving around the draft board is more for Mel Kiper; the scouts are trying to help sort out their boards for fit. You don't recruit kids without looking at them, measuring them (otherwise, you believe Boat is 6' tall), and figuring out how they'd fit on your team both from a scheme perspective and in locker room. Besides, few kids play NFL ready talent, so the fact that a CB shut down a WR who cant make a practice squad is not entirely helpful. No team is evaluating players purely on film - this ain't 1954

Reaction Score
This may not be a popular opinion, but the 40 times for both Byron and Geremy probably didn't hurt or help either of them. They seem to be pretty much in line with what expectations were heading in. Not to say that's a bad thing but I was hoping Geremy especially could drop into the 4.4s to really help his draft stock.

Edit: NVM, looks like Geremy did get into the 4.4s

Reaction Score
JohnFSilver 1:51pm via Twitter Web Client
Have to sort through a lot of stuff. But back from UConn pro day. 29 teams,2 head coaches, and it seems like half the Eagles' staff.

JohnFSilver 1:52pm via Twitter Web Client
Obviously, Byron Jones' 40 time and bench press just solidified his athletic credentials, and Geremy Davis' ran a 4.47 40 time. Very good.

JohnFSilver 1:53pm via Twitter Web Client
, 6-5, 310 DT, also generated a lot of interest. Ran a sub 5.0 40, which for a guy his size is excellent...

JohnFSilver 1:54pm via Twitter Web Client
McBryde said that scouts were given him business cards, phone numbers, and asking him to do drills twice.

JohnFSilver 1:54pm via Twitter Web Client
One scout, stuck around and wanted to do something with McBryde 1-on-1 after the pro day ended. Massive player and a good story

JohnFSilver 2:05pm via Twitter Web Client
Geremy Davis' stock hinged on 40. When he ran, said he heard oos. He has size and hands/blocking. Speed was the question.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Jones may be the most underrated Husky football player ever. I know BD talked about his Pro ability before last season...but I don't remember anyone else saying he could be a first 3 rounds pick...let alone first round pick. Also...without looking it up, it feels like UConn's season really plummeted after he went down with his season ending shoulder injury. That was an example where lack of depth killed any chance of having a respectable year last year. And to me....that lack of depth gets BD off the hook for last year's debacle.

Great to see the Huskies do well today!

Reaction Score
This may not be a popular opinion, but the 40 times for both Byron and Geremy probably didn't hurt or help either of them. They seem to be pretty much in line with what expectations were heading in. Not to say that's a bad thing but I was hoping Geremy especially could drop into the 4.4s to really help his draft stock.

Edit: NVM, looks like Geremy did get into the 4.4s

They both had great 40s. Jones 4.4 is an excellent time. Davis running sub 4.5 helped him a lot.

Reaction Score
VeteranScout 11:49am via Twitter Web Client
Despite many thinking a player won the day today, I'd say this is the man who really earned the most:http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/matt_balis_881423.html

VeteranScout 12:03pm via Twitter Web Client
If I'm a premier university in terms of football who's on a downswing or in a lull (Virginia Tech maybe?) I'd be on the phone with Balis now

VeteranScout 12:04pm via Twitter Web Client
Very few things are more important to a football coach than his strength & conditioning coach. They need to be tight & have mutual respect.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If I'm a premier university in terms of football who's on a downswing or in a lull (Virginia Tech maybe?) I'd be on the phone with Balis now

VeteranScout is an . Keep your hands off our coaching staff! If he was able to accomplish so much in just a year, we need Balis here for the long haul.

Reaction Score
VeteranScout is an . Keep your hands off our coaching staff! If he was able to accomplish so much in just a year, we need Balis here for the long haul.

I was a little peeved by that comment as well. It's basically saying that since we're not in a P5 conference we don't deserve someone that good. I hope some deflates his balls, sends too many texts and pipes crowd noise into his POS basement office.

Reaction Score
VeteranScout 11:49am via Twitter Web Client
Despite many thinking a player won the day today, I'd say this is the man who really earned the most:http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/matt_balis_881423.html

VeteranScout 12:04pm via Twitter Web Client
Very few things are more important to a football coach than his strength & conditioning coach. They need to be tight & have mutual respect.

A Fishy throat punch is in order here.

Reaction Score
A Fishy throat punch is in order here.

Other than the "premier university in terms of football" jab - he's basically saying he's one of the best in the business (plus I think he's got a previous relationship/exposure to Balis - knows quite a bit about him and former players who trained under him).

Reaction Score
Other than the "premier university in terms of football" jab - he's basically saying he's one of the best in the business (plus I think he's got a previous relationship/exposure to Balis - knows quite a bit about him and former players who trained under him).

I figured as much. I was just not happy he is spilling the beans on our guy. Can't lose him now. (Don't think he would leave so quick...but...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom