UConn Pres Herbst NOT attending BE meeting in NYC tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Pres Herbst NOT attending BE meeting in NYC tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes. Because most crisis can be solved if you just talk tough enough. Good luck with that.

Exactly how else would you propose Herbst handle this meeting? "Hello, President of Louisville. We have decided to seek other options in other conferences. Can you please place a letter of recommendation for us with their conference offices? Kthxbye"

Now, I can see some reason why you'd want her to go, completely lead on WVU and Rutgers, just so that they don't beat you to the ACC punch. But it's not particularly honorable, and apparently not the way we're gonna do it. I'm glad. Send someone - do just enough to not burn bridges, but don't go around lying to people, either.

Reaction Score
You guys are missing the point. UConn appears to be the one growing a pair. Herbst has superior information. Presumably based on that information she's sending her caretaker AD and her gatekeeper. Why? Is the trek to the city that hard to makr? You've got Presidents coming from Texas, Kentucky, WVa...yet the school with the second shortest trip isn't coming. Notice, too, that there isn't even the platitude of "previous commitment". Herbst' background is in this precise area. So I believe BL's statement isn't so much fear of the outcome, but rather (healthy) anxiety towards the import of Herbst' actions.

Reaction Score
Exactly how else would you propose Herbst handle this meeting? "Hello, President of Louisville. We have decided to seek other options in other conferences. Can you please place a letter of recommendation for us with their conference offices? Kthxbye"

Now, I can see some reason why you'd want her to go, completely lead on WVU and Rutgers, just so that they don't beat you to the ACC punch. But it's not particularly honorable, and apparently not the way we're gonna do it. I'm glad. Send someone - do just enough to not burn bridges, but don't go around lying to people, either.
good points. it's no secret we're pursuing the ACC option, it's been reported a hundred times over the last couple of days and we've done nothing to debunk those reports and rumors. what's she going to go there and say, yes, the reporting is right, but you already knew that? no, we're not ready to commit to you, which is an obvious inference from the previous statement?

Reaction Score
This is just a classis negotiating tactic. How do you avoid answering tough questions, or being pressed for a committment to the Big East? You send someone in your place that isnt authorized to answer questions or give a committment.
this is exactly what I thought after reading the courant article

Reaction Score
Holy crap. 100% of eggs -- meet solitary basket.

I hope she knows what she is doing.

I am getting really nervous here. If she pulls this off and gets an invite to the ACC, I don't think I will criticize her for anything.

Reaction Score
I am getting really nervous here. If she pulls this off and gets an invite to the ACC, I don't think I will criticize her for anything.

There's not much to criticize her about. This pile was dumped in her lap. Keeping abreast of things is important, but for whatever reason it's been decided that this particular meeting did not command the urgency that she attend. If there's a good plan on the table I'm sure we'll respond to it and participate to the extend we can. Being the suject of recriminations because 2 other schools are leaving, might not be the best use of time. I'm sure ND will solve the whole thing in everyone's best interest anyway.

Reaction Score
its not like were gonna get kicked out of the BE. If she misses the meeting, its not a huge deal...imo.

if we get into the ACC (or B1G for that matter), then she made a great move....but if we dont, maybe some people will be upset with her.....but we haven't lost anything.

Reaction Score
Confirmed that Louisville is sending its President and everyone's favorite gumsmacking AD.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Confirmed that Louisville is sending its President and everyone's favorite gumsmacking AD.

Now I kinda wish Mrs. Herbst sent that stadium DJ down as well.

Jurich + DJ = party-time...

Reaction Score
The BE is no longer viable, period. She knows it, you know it, everyone knows it. It may be a temporary home, but it is not our permanent home - at least if we want to be part of BCS. If there is a merger, the boys out west have made it clear who is driving the ship. Why attend? Or, why pretend? What could these geniuses determine tonight that they were unable to determine for the past decade? I applaud her for making it clear ot them that our affiliation with them is fleeting - at least it is more honest than that of her peers in Pitt or Cuse.

Reaction Score
So if RU's president is there they have nothing cooking?

I still say, at this point in her UConn career, what could be more important than this meeting?

A night of Seinfeld reruns and Yahtzee with Burton?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
She doesn't want to pull a Father Leahy and make any commitments . Plus, it sounds like a sausage-fest.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a smart move. You don't want to be there when your agenda has STAY in BigEast at Option 3.

Reaction Score
She doesn't need to be there. We are in the conference, she'll be informed about plans and get someone to take a tempature check. It's a meeting of Big East President's, they need to get together and figure it out. UCONN will pitch to another conference(s), and either get invited/accepted and calmly say "thanks for the memories" or get rebuffed by the other conferences and remain a part of the Big East and spin it like we believe after doing our due dilligence that we think the reshaped Big East is the best place for UCONN as cornerstone of the conference. We've already said we're going to do what's best for UCONN, that isn't a surprise to anyone, it's not very veiled language that says we're looking for someone to bring us home and if were not as pretty as we thought and nobody approaches us or we get no attractive suitors, we'll get back with you spineless pencil pushing putzes.

Reaction Score
if i am a university president and i don't see her in this meeting, i think i respect her more. she is pursuing what she thinks is a better option, and does not want to be a hypocrit. makes here words more trustworthy if she says that she is committed to making a future, merged league work - or better for us, the future ACC.

Reaction Score
Wonder if any ct reporters are at the meeting. Desmond? ostrout?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
if i am a university president and i don't see her in this meeting, i think i respect her more. she is pursuing what she thinks is a better option, and does not want to be a hypocrit. makes here words more trustworthy if she says that she is committed to making a future, merged league work - or better for us, the future ACC.

No, Jurich is thinking of calling up Texas and saying that WVU, Cincinnati, TCU and Louisville are happy to be UT's beatches if Bevo will let them in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
No, Jurich is thinking of calling up Texas and saying that WVU, Cincinnati, TCU and Louisville are happy to be UT's beatches if Bevo will let them in the Big 12.

I don't anticipate that, but I would be working with my partners as hard as I could until I know for a fact they are not my partners any more. I wouldn't be half turned off before I know I'm out the door.

Reaction Score

Sadly that could happen, but if it does it has nothing to do with her not being at this meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom