UConn parts ways with Zach Brown | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn parts ways with Zach Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I said weeks ago it wasn't playing out well. No news here today - the cards had already been dealt.

This is about the only thing you got right!

Well kinda, there is no news today because it happen yesterday. :)

Reaction Score
HAHAHAHA! Have you ever actually expressed a thought of your own? Your 15 minutes of fame here came and went when you got thrown out of that Maryland game, that was your highlight buddy. I welcome you to point out some of my thoughts that you found so stupid Big, please go ahead.

Actually the problem is that there is a dynamic on this board where there's a select group who feel the need to police opinions and thus create an air of hostility where frank discussion about things like ZB cannot occur. This thread is proof of that, so many people saying they saw this coming but when you go back to the original Brown thread no one said anything about it for obvious reasons.
Don't waste your breath. They don't get it. They will never get it.

Reaction Score
Like yours on Calipari?
No, mccrackhead has a mancrush on calipari. I have an unhealthy hatred of him. Get it straight. Now, what would be funny is if the squid had a mancrush on you. Then you would have yourselves a little love triangle.

Reaction Score
We lose a top 30 kid and that is no big deal here but signing a kid who's barely top 250 is a huge get?

Correct that. He is now top 25. I could be remembering wrong but wasn't he 30th the day he decommited? And isn't Diallo's ranking of 14 about 4 or 5 spots lower that it was? He must be close to commiting for his ranking to already be dropping. Nothing to see here folks. Don't be a crazy UConn conspiracy theorist.....

Reaction Score
Correct that. He is now top 25. I could be remembering wrong but wasn't he 30th the day he decommited? And isn't Diallo's ranking of 14 about 4 or 5 spots lower that it was? He must be close to commiting for his ranking to already be dropping. Nothing to see here folks. Don't be a crazy UConn conspiracy theorist.....
Hamidou is 8th in the 247 Composite rankings. Zach is 29th. Nothing much has changed, including you being delusional.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've just come to the conclusion that people hate Brimah because he a) looks aesthetically unappealing and b) is a foreigner who was ahead of a CT native on the depth chart. It explains a lot actually.

Please stop.

This s--- is as idiotic as JSM's tortured ramblings.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Eh, the writing has been on the wall for a little while now. To be honest, as time has gone on, his ranking has dropped, and we've heard words like "raw" and "project" associated with him, this is looking like less and less of a loss.

It's less the words 'raw' and 'project' and more the word 'punched' that are causing his issues.

The adults around him are problematic in an Ater Majok sort of way and then you have the kid hitting everything within an arm's reach of him.

Unfortunately, I don't see Brown ending up the level of program equivalent to his on-court talent - I think one of the SEC holding tanks for problem children will eventually get him.

Reaction Score
It's less the words 'raw' and 'project' and more the word 'punched' that are causing his issues.

The adults around him are problematic in an Ater Majok sort of way and then you have the kid hitting everything within an arm's reach of him.

Unfortunately, I don't see Brown ending up the level of program equivalent to his on-court talent - I think one of the SEC holding tanks for problem children will eventually get him.

Oh I agree the off-court shenanigans are why we're cutting ties with him.

I was simply trying to rationalize, in a pure basketball sense, not being heartbroken that we're losing him.

C

Chief00

Parting ways with Brown was probably wise - I don't mind taking guys with issues but a decision has to be made if you can coach him up on and off the court. I think the evidence was piling up the answer to that question was unfortunately no.
As for Fishy's comment that SEC schools can be holding tanks for problem children athletes. I think that is very accurate but I also think there is a lot we can learn from them if you agree with me that the APR is mostly BS -so you set up a track in college for football players to stay eligible and give them a piece of paper after 5 years and call it a diploma.
You know they have really perfected that when a few years ago the Alabama Football team had a higher APR than the Harvard basketball team, who had to take real classes taugh by professors who could care less about sports.

Reaction Score
I've just come to the conclusion that people hate Brimah because he a) looks aesthetically unappealing and b) is a foreigner who was ahead of a CT native on the depth chart. It explains a lot actually.

What is wrong with Brimah's looks? Nothing at all in my book. Shame on you.

Reaction Score

What's sad about this situation is Zach seems like a good kid who has talent that can be developed, but is immature and hasn't learned to control his anger.

I hope someone can get through to him and help him realize his potential on and off the court.

Reaction Score

Yes, that makes sense. Because this fan base has been awfully reluctant to embrace Thabeet, Giffey, Okwandu, Wane, Sheffer, and Henefeld.

The issue people have with Brimah isn't that he's built like a twig, it's that he doesn't embody the toughness that we've come to identify with UConn players and that this fan base takes pride in.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes, that makes sense. Because this fan base has been awfully reluctant to embrace Thabeet, Giffey, Okwandu, Wane, Sheffer, and Henefeld.

The issue people have with Brimah isn't that he's built like a twig, it's that he doesn't embody the toughness that we've come to identify with UConn players and that this fan base takes pride in.

I'm not going to address your first point because Fishy has been itching to ban me for months and I'd rather not give him the satisfaction of doing so. But I fail to see how Brimah doesn't have "toughness". If you're going to say he's not at physically strong (dammit Chief, you are right about core strength in this case) or has BBIQ issues, more than fair. If we're talking toughness in terms of effort though, I'd have to disagree.

Reaction Score
Awwww, that's cute. You've got a mancrush...

How did I miss my number one fan weighing in here? Tell you what, come find me at a game some time and I'll take a picture with you.

Some friendly advice: I'd say, conservatively, that 90% of your posts involve some concept of man on man action. It's 2016. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You'd be a lot happier if you worked on whatever latent issues are driving this obsession.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In a large fan base can there be individuals who belong to these categories. Certainly. But it's probably so minuscule bringing it up is ridiculous. This is so beneath you.

And I've yet to see anyone in this forum demonstrate anything close to hatred of Brimah. One of the most consistent critics of AB has been @mauconnfan and yet nothing he has written has given me the impression he hates AB. His posts present weaknesses in AB's basketball playing. He doesn't always mention his strengths because most people acknowledge them. That's extremely different than dumping on a player. Any other criticism I've read regarding AB appears to be the same. (Except the chatroom, of course, where the immaturity of posters is constantly displayed. But it's not just towards AB. Every player making a mistake or not doing well gets attacked and not in a good way.)

Reaction Score
Hamidou is 8th in the 247 Composite rankings. Zach is 29th. Nothing much has changed, including you being delusional.
Check the ESPN site genius. 247 hasn't updated in over a week. Your hard on to get into a pissing contest with me has you acting like a total moron. ESPN dropped Diallo to 14 and jumped Brown up to 25. If you have proof these rankings ON ESPN (Syracuse's propaganda arm) were the same a few days ago, great, I will admit my memory was wrong. Otherwise, smarten up and shut your pie hole.

Reaction Score
You know they have really perfected that when a few years ago the Alabama Football team had a higher APR than the Harvard basketball team, who had to take real classes taugh by professors who could care less about sports.

It is as easy to stay eligible at Harvard as it is at any other school. Some of the guts taken by athletes would blow your mind. In my experience, the better the school, the less they give a flying duck about grades.

Reaction Score
But I fail to see how Brimah doesn't have "toughness". If you're going to say he's not at physically strong (dammit Chief, you are right about core strength in this case) or has BBIQ issues, more than fair. If we're talking toughness in terms of effort though, I'd have to disagree.

Brimah gives effort, yes, and he's a positive influence on the bench and in the locker room (some pejoratively call him a cheerleader), but that doesn't equate to toughness.

Toughness, as I view it, means you make your opponent work, you're not easily pushed around, you make effort/intelligence plays that deflate your opponent and provide a lift to your guys. It boils down to a combination of physical toughness, BBIQ, and mental toughness.

Brimah may give good effort, but his poor BBIQ and physical limitations means he's more often on the wrong side of those big momentum-swinging plays.

Reaction Score
Check the ESPN site geniu""s. 247 hasn't updated in over a week. Your hard on to get into a pissing contest with me has you acting like a total moron. ESPN dropped Diallo to 14 and jumped Brown up to 25. If you have proof these rankings ON ESPN (Syracuse's propaganda arm) were the same a few days ago, great, I will admit my memory was wrong. Otherwise, smarten up and shut your pie hole.
Damn, I forgot who I was dealing with for a minute. Obviously the average idiot would be able to figure out that if the composite rankings didn't change, the individual rankings that make up the composite probably didn't change either. Clearly there was no way you were ever going to be able to connect those dots, and for that I'm the idiot.

Here's a link to the wayback machine where you can see snapshots of ESPN's 2017 top 60 throughout time. You can see that their rankings haven't changed in months. Sorry for providing my information that "hasn't been updated in over a week".

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Reaction Score
First, if a component of an average is changed, and the average hasn't been updated since the change, then they are not correlated until the update is made. Pointing to an average that is not constantly updated is not proof that its components haven't changed.

But, yes, it does seem that my recollection of their ratings was wrong. I was probably remembering a different website and erroneously comparing it to ESPN. So, yep, you got me. Data is data. Maybe I should have been clear that I was looking at ESPN so you could have used this data from the get go instead of 247.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom