1. The cesspool is now available to unregistered users. If you enjoy politics, feel free to read posts, or register to participate. Scroll down. You'll find the cesspool under "Off Topic Boards."
    Dismiss Notice

UConn parts ways with Zach Brown

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by kylemac, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Viking

The Viking

You knew he wasn't coming here once his country band started getting huge.

Huskyforlife and mauconnfan like this.
  2. Edward Sargent

Edward Sargent Sargelak

Watch the name calling internet tough guy

3. Candyman34

Candyman34

Its actually the kids temper that seems to be the main issue.
    • The rumor that he punched a ref 2 years ago.
    • In December he got suspended by the Florida High School basketball committee people for fighting.
    • He transfers to Putnam in Jan. and then right away he gets kicked out of Putnam for fighting.
    The pattern is clear.

UconnFanNVa and fleudslipcon like this.
  4. Danzz

Danzz

Brown will find another place to play basketball and UConn will sign more players. Brown's future is a much more important issue and I hope things go well for him moving forward. He has already been through a lot.

5. Excalibur

Excalibur

He gets overzealous sometimes and needs to be smacked down from time to time, but I do like him. And any of the "I'm not allowed to say anything negative" complaints deserve what they get . . .

6. HooperScooper

HooperScooper

This from the recruiting analyst from TOS who handles Florida:

According to multiple sources, unfortunately for Zach, very few positive things happened after his guardian transferred him from Miami Beach High School to Miami High School.

That's not an indictment of MHS per se, more about poor decisions by one adult.

I am actually very concerned about Zach.

I also have to give Coach Ollie a lot of credit for hanging in there with the young man for so long. Several big programs started backing off him around April 2015, and not because of poor play.

7. krinklecut

krinklecut Class of '11

I honestly got worried after this tweet. After watching the Vice doc it was clear that his mother was not looking out for his best interests. You can't blame a kid for wanting to stay close to family, but that family seemed toxic.

8. UconnFanNVa

UconnFanNVa

When I saw that video documentary with him in it, i was concerned about him. But he said all the right things and at the end of the day I thought hey if Ollie wants him, there must be something there that I cant see. Looks like Ollie is saying, i thought there was something there to work with, but this kid isnt meeting me half way. Sounds like Zach throw away a great opportunity. hopefully for him, in spite of his home life drama he can do something positive with his life.

9. uconnell

uconnell

Well stated Danzz.

10. Chief00

Chief00

I said weeks ago it wasn't playing out well. No news here today - the cards had already been dealt.

11. uchusky32

uchusky32

This is about the only thing you got right!

Well kinda, there is no news today because it happen yesterday. :)

12. Paesano

Paesano

Did Zach's ranking go back up yet?

Huskies4ever and huskiesnyc like this.
  13. Paesano

Paesano

Awwww, that's cute. You've got a mancrush...

14. Paesano

Paesano

Don't waste your breath. They don't get it. They will never get it.

15. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

Like yours on Calipari?

Huskies4ever, UConNick and tzznandrew like this.
  16. Rocktheworld

Rocktheworld

Not until Duke, UK or KU offer

17. Paesano

Paesano

No, mccrackhead has a mancrush on calipari. I have an unhealthy hatred of him. Get it straight. Now, what would be funny is if the squid had a mancrush on you. Then you would have yourselves a little love triangle.

BearJWS likes this.
  18. Paesano

Paesano

Nice job!

19. Paesano

Paesano

Correct that. He is now top 25. I could be remembering wrong but wasn't he 30th the day he decommited? And isn't Diallo's ranking of 14 about 4 or 5 spots lower that it was? He must be close to commiting for his ranking to already be dropping. Nothing to see here folks. Don't be a crazy UConn conspiracy theorist.....

20. 7774

Hamidou is 8th in the 247 Composite rankings. Zach is 29th. Nothing much has changed, including you being delusional.

21. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

Please stop.

This s--- is as idiotic as JSM's tortured ramblings.

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

It's less the words 'raw' and 'project' and more the word 'punched' that are causing his issues.

The adults around him are problematic in an Ater Majok sort of way and then you have the kid hitting everything within an arm's reach of him.

Unfortunately, I don't see Brown ending up the level of program equivalent to his on-court talent - I think one of the SEC holding tanks for problem children will eventually get him.

BUConn10 and CAHUSKY like this.
  23. Tenspro2002

Tenspro2002

Oh I agree the off-court shenanigans are why we're cutting ties with him.

I was simply trying to rationalize, in a pure basketball sense, not being heartbroken that we're losing him.

24. Chief00

Chief00

Parting ways with Brown was probably wise - I don't mind taking guys with issues but a decision has to be made if you can coach him up on and off the court. I think the evidence was piling up the answer to that question was unfortunately no.
    As for Fishy's comment that SEC schools can be holding tanks for problem children athletes. I think that is very accurate but I also think there is a lot we can learn from them if you agree with me that the APR is mostly BS -so you set up a track in college for football players to stay eligible and give them a piece of paper after 5 years and call it a diploma.
    You know they have really perfected that when a few years ago the Alabama Football team had a higher APR than the Harvard basketball team, who had to take real classes taugh by professors who could care less about sports.

uconnell likes this.
  25. uconnell

uconnell

What is wrong with Brimah's looks? Nothing at all in my book. Shame on you.

fleudslipcon likes this.
  26. DogMania

DogMania

What's sad about this situation is Zach seems like a good kid who has talent that can be developed, but is immature and hasn't learned to control his anger.

I hope someone can get through to him and help him realize his potential on and off the court.

huskyharry likes this.
  27. Tenspro2002

Tenspro2002

Yes, that makes sense. Because this fan base has been awfully reluctant to embrace Thabeet, Giffey, Okwandu, Wane, Sheffer, and Henefeld.

The issue people have with Brimah isn't that he's built like a twig, it's that he doesn't embody the toughness that we've come to identify with UConn players and that this fan base takes pride in.

28. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

I'm not going to address your first point because Fishy has been itching to ban me for months and I'd rather not give him the satisfaction of doing so. But I fail to see how Brimah doesn't have "toughness". If you're going to say he's not at physically strong (dammit Chief, you are right about core strength in this case) or has BBIQ issues, more than fair. If we're talking toughness in terms of effort though, I'd have to disagree.

David 76 and Huskies4ever like this.
  29. BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

How did I miss my number one fan weighing in here? Tell you what, come find me at a game some time and I'll take a picture with you.

Some friendly advice: I'd say, conservatively, that 90% of your posts involve some concept of man on man action. It's 2016. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You'd be a lot happier if you worked on whatever latent issues are driving this obsession.

30. fleudslipcon

fleudslipcon We are still UConn!!

In a large fan base can there be individuals who belong to these categories. Certainly. But it's probably so minuscule bringing it up is ridiculous. This is so beneath you.

And I've yet to see anyone in this forum demonstrate anything close to hatred of Brimah. One of the most consistent critics of AB has been @mauconnfan and yet nothing he has written has given me the impression he hates AB. His posts present weaknesses in AB's basketball playing. He doesn't always mention his strengths because most people acknowledge them. That's extremely different than dumping on a player. Any other criticism I've read regarding AB appears to be the same. (Except the chatroom, of course, where the immaturity of posters is constantly displayed. But it's not just towards AB. Every player making a mistake or not doing well gets attacked and not in a good way.)

David 76 and Huskies4ever like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.