UConn mentioned as possible ACC expansion candidate | The Boneyard

UConn mentioned as possible ACC expansion candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice to have our name out there if nothing else. The ACC does seem to make more sense for UConn but it doesn't seem like the ACC would be expanding in time to add us if things work out with the Big12.
Also nice to have this narrative restated. It is often forgotten, even by our own fans:

The UConn Huskies were strongly considered a favorite to join the ACC when the Big East imploded. The ACC had planned to add Syracuse and UConn, originally wanting the Huskies over Pittsburgh and Louisville. Instead, Boston College blocked the addition of Connecticut due to a dormant grudge originating from BC’s departure from the Big East.

“We didn’t want them in,” former Eagles AD Gene DeFilippo said to the Boston Globe. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.”

Connecticut would bring a powerful basketball program on both the men’s and women’s side in addition to improving the ACC’s presence on television sets in New York City.

ncaa-basketball-columbia-connecticut-420x260.jpg

We have seen how a New York presence has helped the Big Ten. USA Today reports revenues jumped 33% since adding Rutgers and Maryland.

UConn’s football program is nothing to write home about, but the Huskies have proven in their short history they can compete with major football program
s.​

Reaction Score
I am surprised that Carducci has a career this many years after leaving SNL.

Reaction Score
Also nice to have this narrative restated. It is often forgotten, even by our own fans:

The UConn Huskies were strongly considered a favorite to join the ACC when the Big East imploded. The ACC had planned to add Syracuse and UConn, originally wanting the Huskies over Pittsburgh and Louisville. Instead, Boston College blocked the addition of Connecticut due to a dormant grudge originating from BC’s departure from the Big East.

“We didn’t want them in,” former Eagles AD Gene DeFilippo said to the Boston Globe. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.”

Connecticut would bring a powerful basketball program on both the men’s and women’s side in addition to improving the ACC’s presence on television sets in New York City.

ncaa-basketball-columbia-connecticut-420x260.jpg

We have seen how a New York presence has helped the Big Ten. USA Today reports revenues jumped 33% since adding Rutgers and Maryland.

UConn’s football program is nothing to write home about, but the Huskies have proven in their short history they can compete with major football program
s.​
I know this is pointless, but...

Why do you assume people have forgotten this? Is it because you choose not to dig deeper into the quote? You're educated. Dig deeper.

Why did the Presidents of the ACC allow BC to block us not once but twice? Is it because they thought we were replaceable? Or do you really think BCU holds that much power in the ACC that the other presidents wouldn't feel compelled to convince BCU to get in line and take the obvious and clear superior choice, UConn?

I know the most logical answer to that question hurts your pride, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us are ignorant or forgetful.

Reaction Score
Well one reason they might ignore BC this time is the 0-ACC year the Boston Birdies just turned in. And Gene is gone too. The ACC is the natural logical spot for UConn. Academically athletically geographically in terms of natural rivals. It makes no sense for us and them we aren't there but Warde preferred to monitor rather than fight. So BC. How's that New England's team thing working for you?

Reaction Score
We won 2 men's basketball titles (and more women's basketball titles to solidify the program as historic) while in the Big East/AAC after the first wave of defections. Why complain?

If the ACC is going to add us, they better move very quick...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Why do you assume people have forgotten this? Is it because you choose not to dig deeper into the quote? You're educated. Dig deeper.

Why did the Presidents of the ACC allow BC to block us not once but twice? Is it because they thought we were replaceable? Or do you really think BCU holds that much power in the ACC that the other presidents wouldn't feel compelled to convince BCU to get in line and take the obvious and clear superior choice, UConn?

I know the most logical answer to that question hurts your pride, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us are ignorant or forgetful.

I believe that In both cases of ACC expansion or Maryland back-fill, UConn was viewed as a school with no other home. I think Louisville would easily be at the Top of the Big XII list right now, and if Pitt were available, they'd be right there with them. The ACC has assumed it could save UConn for later (e.g. if ND ever joins). It knew it couldn't stash the others away from the Big XII. Plus, JC was close to retiring, so they could assume our BB status would fall.

Rutgers going B1G must have raised a few eyebrows on Tobacco Road. Then Ollie won a NC. Now with UConn being seriously considered for the Big XII and perhaps closing in on AAU status that, along with our improving hockey team, would make the B1G look at us more closely, the ACC knows it was wrong. The question is whether they do anything about it.

Reaction Score
We all know that ACC is a better fit for us and the BIG would be amazing to be in, but the invitation is not there. If B12 say come on down UCONN we are going to say oh yeah!!!!! here we go. It would be stupid to say no and wait for a invite from ACC or B1G.

You need to be in a P5 conference to be able to be poached out of, being in the AAC is not something your being poached out of (is a thank you for saving us)

Reaction Score
I believe that In both cases of ACC expansion or Maryland back-fill, UConn was viewed as a school with no other home. I think Louisville would easily be at the Top of the Big XII list right now, and if Pitt were available, they'd be right there with them. The ACC has assumed it could save UConn for later (e.g. if ND ever joins). It knew it couldn't stash the others away from the Big XII. Plus, JC was close to retiring, so they could assume our BB status would fall.

Rutgers going B1G must have raised a few eyebrows on Tobacco Road. Then Ollie won a NC. Now with UConn being seriously considered for the Big XII and perhaps closing in on AAU status that, along with our improving hockey team, would make the B1G look at us more closely, the ACC knows it was wrong. The question is whether they do anything about it.

Sure you can argue that the ACC has buyer's remorse. But they passed on us not once, but twice, and then signed what is rumored to be an incredibly lucrative deal that gives them stability for the next 20 years. So yeah, you can argue that, but...I'm not sure what proof you have.

UConn to the ACC makes sense. It's what would be best for both parties (except BCU), but it hinges on ND, and that's extremely unlikely to happen in the near future. Unfortunately for us, they were able to get where they wanted to go without us. So, we need them more than they need us. Same with the Big 12. But let's just blame flipper and talk about how valuable Geno's program is to SNY.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sure you can argue that the ACC has buyer's remorse. But they passed on us not once, but twice, and then signed what is rumored to be an incredibly lucrative deal that gives them stability for the next 20 years. So yeah, you can argue that, but...I'm not sure what proof you have.

UConn to the ACC makes sense. It's what would be best for both parties (except BCU), but it hinges on ND, and that's extremely unlikely to happen in the near future. Unfortunately for us, they were able to get where they wanted to go without us. So, we need them more than they need us. Same with the Big 12. But let's just blame flipper and talk about how valuable Geno's program is to SNY.

You misunderstand me. I don't think they have buyer's remorse. But I think they did want to buy us eventually, and assumed we'd always be on the shelf. It looks like they may have been wrong about us. So before we are bought by another, they could swoop in.

Reaction Score
You misunderstand me. I don't think they have buyer's remorse. But I think they did want to buy us eventually, and assumed we'd always be on the shelf. It looks like they may have been wrong about us. So before we are bought by another, they could swoop in.
Wouldn't they have done that BEFORE they just signed a new network deal and GOR? Why would they do it now? There's only one thing that would bring us to the ACC, and it's a catholic school in Indiana who has no desire or need to join any conference in the near future.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wouldn't they have done that BEFORE they just signed a new network deal and GOR? Why would they do it now? There's only one thing that would bring us to the ACC, and it's a catholic school in Indiana who has no desire or need to join any conference in the near future.

Before they signed it, it didn't look like the Big XII was expanding

Reaction Score
Before they signed it, it didn't look like the Big XII was expanding
You don't think they considered the consequences of signing it? Why have a 20 year GOR if they aren't considering how the other conferences will react? Why require ND to join the ACC if they join a conference?

They had to have known that the B12 would react. These are not unintelligent people making uninformed decisions.

They actually have access to more data than we have, yet some continue to act as if they are a bunch of fools just randomly deciding who gets in the club.

Reaction Score

I agree it's a possible scenario for both ACC and Big 10 before UCONN gets hitched with the Big 12, if that's really how it's going to go down. Anything is possible, how do we know what's not a possibility.

Reaction Score
It would be a dream to get into the ACC. I've always said it's where we belong. But I don't see it happening. The ACC don't want us, let's move on.

Reaction Score

You forgot the role of Dick Blumenthal in the whole ACC fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom