UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What about football helmets? Keeping the Block C?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I hope not. I hope the uniforms have red in them, and the new helmets have whatever the new husky is.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
images

Go with a simpler version of this logo, avoid red, get rid of UConn in favor of Connecticut, and call it day.

Reaction Score
As long as they avoid something like the hugely unpopular new U. California logo (old on the left, new one on the right):

6a00d8341c630a53ef017d3e9c4a3e970c-640wi

They are getting slaughtered over this logo in the local media here. Just about the UC people who got interviewed said they hate the new logo.

Schools should just put out 5 designs and let students vote for it.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
this is why u can't brand he block c then "uconn" it needs to be connecticut and we needd to make "uconn" our cool nickname and 3rd uni name. thats how we should be doing ****. rep the state and the nickname is fun stuff.

This is 100% correct. UConn ONLY as an alt.

Reaction Score
Personally, I am fine with going full UCONN. Connecticut is a long and awkward word for outsiders.

Reaction Score
Personally, I am fine with going full UCONN. Connecticut is a long and awkward word for outsiders.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Secondary color - go with red as a secondary color. I love National Flag Blue & White - but the grey or silver does not pop.

Husky - I like the previous '80-'90's version less cartoonish. If Jonathan looks a little agressive that is fine ---- Connecticut UConn Husky - Symbol of Might to the foe.

UCONN, UConn, Connecticut - Go with UCONN

Helmet - Block C - red outline

Reaction Score
For what it's worth:

Ole Miss, Penn State, Penn, UMass and Cal usually shorten their long names - all of which have one word of 10+ letters and 4+ syllables, like Connecticut.

Penn also will rarely, but sometimes, go by UPenn. In some cases, they'll just say 'Wharton' and figure that if you don't know what that means, you don't belong in their company anyway.

Louisiana has 9 letters and 5 syllables, but there is no UL (just LSU and Louisiana-Lafayette). ULL keeps trying to change to just Louisiana, but nobody will let them - the theory being you can't expect to go from Southwestern Louisiana State to the entire state university in just a 10-year span. You have to finish off the first batch of letterhead and business cards from the initial name change before doing it again.

Washington has 10 letters and 3 syllables and doesn't formally shorten at all (very, very informally called U-Dub). Tennessee takes up a lot of space with its three syllables, but doesn't shorten at all, either. They do shorten their nickname to Vols, instead, which you can clearly understand - Tennessee Vols sounds better than Tenn Volunteers.

Arizona (Zona), Alabama (Bama) informally shorten their names which are only seven letters long and don't take up much space, but they do chop off two syllables with those three letters, which is a very efficient letter-to-syllable ratio. Oklahoma and Indiana leave their short four-syllable names alone, other than to call themselves OU and IU. Oklahoma actually doesn't even do it right - they are called the University of Oklahoma and should really be UO (Kansas is also guilty of this, but they have the excuse that they would have to change their rock chalk chant, and they'd be confused with Kentucky, which nobody wants).

Missouri shortens to Mizzou sometimes, for really no good reason. They chop off two whole letters, one of which takes up less space than any other letter in our language so it is really more like a small punctuation mark. But they do pick up 16 points in Scrabble -- if they were to allow both proper names and a second Z when they play Scrabble in Missouri.

Meanwhile, Virginia calls itself Virginia, UVA, the Cavaliers, the Cavs and the Wahoos. Their plan is to convince the B1G that they can bring them to 18 teams all by themselves.

Delaware doesn't shorten anything and is basically irrelevant here, except as an important trivia question - they have the only female mascot in Division I. And the state charges $4 for 20 miles of I-95, making that stretch of road practically as expensive as the Golden Gate Bridge, which at least allows you to drive on an historical landmark, whereas all Delaware gives you is four exits, which all unfortunately take you into Delaware. And a Sbarros (actually they renovated their rest stop recently and it is quite nice - it's probably the Burton Complex of I-95 rest stops these days).

I hope this should clear everything up.

Reaction Score
Not a bad logo for NIU. Also kinda liked UDub's logo before they went back to the block W.

220px-NIU_Huskies.svg.png

If you Google "huskies logo" there are some decent concepts out there.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think we have a winner.

huskies_logo_with_maroon.JPG

make the pants blue so it looks like blue balls and the eyes with some red and foam out the mouth. winner!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It would be a mistake to do a a complete rebrand while the university is trying to push it's tradition, stability. Look for any change to be incremental, below the JND (just noticeable difference) - see I remember my marketing.

Reaction Score
If they get rid of the Block C and put the Husky on the helmet, this is the same mistake Pitt made many years ago.

Pitt should have stuck with the paw.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If they get rid of the Block C and put the Husky on the helmet, this is the same mistake Pitt made many years ago.

Pitt should have stuck with the paw.

Agreed. Keep the block C or go with our own paw, but do not put a dog on a football helmet under any circusmstances.

Reaction Score
Any new info on this? Reading the new football unis thread in the football forum reminded me of it.

Reaction Score
1) Ditch the red
2) Ditch all the 'UC' logos
3) Goes with 2, but the men's and women's basketball logos are different. Use the football block C on their uniforms
4) I think a 'mean' looking Husky would be tacky. I would like a modernized version of this - not the cartoonish looking one we have now.

UConn%2BLogo%2B2.GIF
Let's go back to this Husky, he was the top dog. I'm tired of all these so called marketing experts coming up with new ideas that don't work. We have a tradition here that we should continue to foster instead of alienating alumni and fans with idiotic changes. It reminds me about 10 years ago when The Hartfords ad agency decided it needed a sleeker corporate symbol. So what did they do, they air-brushed the penus off of the Stag. How can a Stag be a Stag without it's businees attached?

Reaction Score
For what it's worth:

Ole Miss, Penn State, Penn, UMass and Cal usually shorten their long names - all of which have one word of 10+ letters and 4+ syllables, like Connecticut.

Penn also will rarely, but sometimes, go by UPenn. In some cases, they'll just say 'Wharton' and figure that if you don't know what that means, you don't belong in their company anyway.

Louisiana has 9 letters and 5 syllables, but there is no UL (just LSU and Louisiana-Lafayette). ULL keeps trying to change to just Louisiana, but nobody will let them - the theory being you can't expect to go from Southwestern Louisiana State to the entire state university in just a 10-year span. You have to finish off the first batch of letterhead and business cards from the initial name change before doing it again.

Washington has 10 letters and 3 syllables and doesn't formally shorten at all (very, very informally called U-Dub). Tennessee takes up a lot of space with its three syllables, but doesn't shorten at all, either. They do shorten their nickname to Vols, instead, which you can clearly understand - Tennessee Vols sounds better than Tenn Volunteers.

Arizona (Zona), Alabama (Bama) informally shorten their names which are only seven letters long and don't take up much space, but they do chop off two syllables with those three letters, which is a very efficient letter-to-syllable ratio. Oklahoma and Indiana leave their short four-syllable names alone, other than to call themselves OU and IU. Oklahoma actually doesn't even do it right - they are called the University of Oklahoma and should really be UO (Kansas is also guilty of this, but they have the excuse that they would have to change their rock chalk chant, and they'd be confused with Kentucky, which nobody wants).

Missouri shortens to Mizzou sometimes, for really no good reason. They chop off two whole letters, one of which takes up less space than any other letter in our language so it is really more like a small punctuation mark. But they do pick up 16 points in Scrabble -- if they were to allow both proper names and a second Z when they play Scrabble in Missouri.

Meanwhile, Virginia calls itself Virginia, UVA, the Cavaliers, the Cavs and the Wahoos. Their plan is to convince the B1G that they can bring them to 18 teams all by themselves.

Delaware doesn't shorten anything and is basically irrelevant here, except as an important trivia question - they have the only female mascot in Division I. And the state charges $4 for 20 miles of I-95, making that stretch of road practically as expensive as the Golden Gate Bridge, which at least allows you to drive on an historical landmark, whereas all Delaware gives you is four exits, which all unfortunately take you into Delaware. And a Sbarros (actually they renovated their rest stop recently and it is quite nice - it's probably the Burton Complex of I-95 rest stops these days).

I hope this should clear everything up.

Great post. I think as a state school only a few can pull of using their full name and having it still be meaningful as a brand (i.e. Texas, Florida, Michigan). When you get out of the elite tier of brands, using a full state name is not unique (i.e. Washington, Nevada, Ohio). We have unique national name recognition with "UConn". How often on ESPN do they refer to us as "Connecticut"?....rarely. We definitely need to stick with the "UConn" branding since it is unique and easy to identify.

Also I think those folks that run the Delaware turnpike define the term "highway robbery"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom