UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
uploadfromtaptalk1355024475869.jpg

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
to be honest right now i could go on for days with the mascot vs brand vs logo stuff. but in the end, i have 0% in any 1 not named susan in storrs doing this half way or better correct. sucks to have that type of faith, but look at eveything else ppl have touched lately. un real...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I posted a few interesting Husky logos in earlier posts. If you just search 'Husky Mascot' images in Google there are a ton of crazy ones. Some look vicious.

I find this one interesting. With some of the previous talk about UCONN wanting the New Hampshire school to stop using a version of a Husky logo, what about this school? They basically ripped off the Husky logo with the only difference being that they changed the tongue from red to yellow and made the noce and eyes yellow.....
images

Reaction Score
Malemutes are bigger and more bitey than huskies, which my hand can testify to. I look forward to an Elvis-like husky head, along the lines of what the Patriots did.

Judging by the classic logo, we've been the UCONN Samoyeds for as long as I've been alive, at least.

Come on, that's basically a dead ringer right there:

chief-web.jpg

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I'm sure many will disagree, but I think this just looks bad, like it was drawn by a seventh grader:

7066.gif

Looks like that dog's taking a leak on the Zakim Bridge.

FAIL...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember our god awful inflatable mascot in the late 1990's? It was cartoonish and its big move was for the guy inside to flip it upside down and dance on its head. That thing was so ugly and I'm glad we quickly got rid of it. Can't find a picture anywhere. I'm sure all records have been destroyed.
He found work:
th

Reaction Score
The new Husky logo should continue to be significantly different looking from the Northeastern, Washington and Northern Illinois ones. Those all have black and look somewhat similar to each other. Stick to the white and grey, no black please.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No logo will please everyone. Art is subjective.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The new Husky logo should continue to be significantly different looking from the Northeastern, Washington and Northern Illinois ones. Those all have black and look somewhat similar to each other. Stick to the white and grey, no black please.
YES. No grey even. When the student body voted to adopt the Husky as the school mascot, the standard was that it had to be all-white with at least one blue eye. This applies to the mascot and it should apply to the logo and all Husky images as well. I'm not usually the one to get hung up on tradition but this should be non-negotiable.

Judging by the classic logo, we've been the UCONN Samoyeds for as long as I've been alive, at least.

Come on, that's basically a dead ringer right there:

View attachment 1922

All-white huskies look like Sammys, but are obviously huskies. Though Huskies, Malamutes and Sammys are derived from the same ancestor breed. At the 2011 MBB victory parade there was a local AKC husky chapter, and some of the dogs had black and/or grey but there were a couple white ones there too. I'm guessing it's a genetic thing where you might see different patterns (or the lack of a pattern for white) in the same litter of puppies.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
True... no matter what they come up with, at least half of the boneyard will be pi$$ed!
Not only pi$$ed by having to look at something they don't like, but that someone had the audacity to ignore their ideas.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In any case, there will be a bump in merchandise when the new logo comes out. Plus there might be UConn fans like me, after seeing this thread I went to Bob's to buy a T-shirt with the Husky logo on it, red tongue and all, in case the new logo sucks. They also had some of the classic 80's / early 90's logo too... I have an old window sticker with this one:

uconn-huskies.gif

Reaction Score
Been having mixed feeling about this. Sure it's just a logo (and could stand to have a tougher look, especially for football marketing purposes), but the current Husky dog logo has become synonymous with our basketball success the last 2 decades. It's part of our current sales brand. Just worried that a departure to a completely new look would make UConn all the more anonymous to the casual sports fan in marketing circles.

Then again, I'm probably overthinking it. Hope the new look will be a pleasant surprise.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It always comes down to tradition vs. contemporary. I like both. I'm a traditionalist with my wife, but I enjoy a lot of the pictures in these forums.

I remember when gals went from dresses to pants. Big fuss about it. They both have advantages.

Reaction Score
I cannot stress enough how generic the block C looks. You might like the look, but if it's not going to bring nationwide recognition (I really don't think it will) then its useless.

Logos are about branding.
I agree with everything you said. I know im in the minority but i hate the block C. Its too plain and i dont think It could be pulled off. The reason why i feel that way is because everyone knows this University as UConn. If it was referred to as Connecticut by everyone then i think the block C would be appropriate

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is why u can't brand he block c then "uconn" it needs to be connecticut and we needd to make "uconn" our cool nickname and 3rd uni name. thats how we should be doing . rep the state and the nickname is fun stuff.

Reaction Score
The UConn logo with the red around the U is odd, but memorable.

I hope the change doesn't come off as making UConn look like just another Arizona or something.

On the other hand, it's a great decision to have them present the school as UConn to the nation. Good decision. Much better than Connecticut. Easier to say, easier to remember. Those of you outside the state would be surprised by how many people can't pronounce the state's name.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
That looks like one of my Microsoft Paint creations, only crappier.

Reaction Score
you would think that a decision on branding would be held off until the new vp of communications starts in mid-january? they supposedly hired this guy because of his knowledge of merging branding and social media. this is truly an area that goes beyond marketing of athletics, so i hope they don't screw it up.

red outlining like this or something different? is uconn going to be in all caps? you wrote "UConn" what about football and the block C?

Camo-UConn-Basketball-Jersey-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69