UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My vote - BRING BACK THE SCRIPT!
88470510.gif
That's my favorite script as well...it has that snowy feel to it that goes with the Yukon Husky idea. It'll never happen but put that across all helmets and uniforms like the Ole Miss cursive.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Damn I only have 2003 logos. I think that's probably the year we changed. PDF too big to load but here are screenshots. Page 1
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363187460.610351.jpg

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Damn I only have 2003 logos. I think that's probably the year we changed. PDF too big to load but here are screenshots. Page 1]

Ya I'm pretty sure it was 2003. Honestly, I think before 2003 almost every team had their own set of secondary logos. They still do but at least they are somewhat cohesive (same font).

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Strongly disagree. Would look terrible for football. Maybe baseball but just... yeah. I much prefer the current lettering.

I wouldn't use it for any of the current uniforms, but I would like to see more vintage apparel that uses this logo. Maybe a retro Uni for bball using it would be cool.

EDIT: Also if you have ever read a Pitt message board this is like one of the only topics they talk about - bring back the script.

Reaction Score

Dear God. What a complete monstrosity. There are about 10 different logos on there that all look completely different. and the kids ones? seriously? I just find it hilarious that it was all officially documented and put in one place for someone to look at and sign off on. This is like a made up example of what not to do for a branding 101 class or something. Hard to believe it's real.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Dear God. What a complete monstrosity. There are about 10 different logos on there that all look completely different. and the kids ones? seriously? I just find it hilarious that it was all officially documented and put in one place for someone to look at and sign off on. This is like a made up example of what not to do for a branding 101 class or something. Hard to believe it's real.
I know right! I just went to the current logo sheet and its much improved. Only one husky logo and only UCONN bold type face with an alternate HUSKIES. A bunch of colors though.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's the 2003-ish rebrand. And yes, it is a mish-mash of a hodge-podge. But even that was more unified than what they had before (see: the script logo).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yes, you are right about that also. Anything using this font came out around the same time as the redesigned Jonathan head.
88470961996.gif

I am pretty sure the last rebranding effort coincided with the football team starting Big East play. The font matches the Block C on the football helmet. I am almost positive it was in the fall of 2003. I remember when the bball jerseys got redesigned Shamon Tooles got to show them off on media day because he was the only senior on the team.

That website doesnt show a lot of the logos they actually used in the 90's. It's hard to see in the picure but the lettering on the jerseys used to be more rounded.
HamiltonRichard_running.jpg
That bball jersey on Rip is my all time favorite. I like the type face and the red U

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think that website is wrong on the Jonathan redesign (not that it really matters). I remember the logo redesign occured during my first couple years at school. I would guess 2003 but it might have been 04 even. I remember a friend had been in Gampel and told us the logo changed so we all went down to see it. Here is a picture of the 1999 championship team where the old logo is still on the court.

1999mbb.jpg
I thought as much. Thanks for the confirmation.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't use it for any of the current uniforms, but I would like to see more vintage apparel that uses this logo. Maybe a retro Uni for bball using it would be cool.

EDIT: Also if you have ever read a Pitt message board this is like one of the only topics they talk about - bring back the script.

But that's because their new look is totally hideous.

Reaction Score

What is so bothersome about that? I see one UC that ends up on the V-neck of the uniform, a block C for the helmet, and the UConn's are all the same. What's so confusing?

Is it the gray vs. red of the UC? At most, that's the only thing they might iron out--but don't get rid of the red outline on the U of the bball unis. That's a distinctive UConn look that everyone is familiar with.

Reaction Score
I like the current uniforms best of all, as well as the 2009 unis with the piping.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I like the current uniforms best of all, as well as the 2009 unis with the piping.
2009s are my least favorite. I'm okay, but not in love with, the current ones.

Reaction Score
What is so bothersome about that? I see one UC that ends up on the V-neck of the uniform, a block C for the helmet, and the UConn's are all the same. What's so confusing?

Is it the gray vs. red of the UC? At most, that's the only thing they might iron out--but don't get rid of the red outline on the U of the bball unis. That's a distinctive UConn look that everyone is familiar with.

It's the 3 different ways to write Connecticut, the Connecticut vs UConn,, and the block C vs the UC vs the women's BB C vs the baseball C. We need 1 word mark, and one symbol for sports. Right now, when you think UConn football, you think of a completely different symbol than any other sport. Same for the 2 basketball teams. To have a unified brand, you need 1 logo that encompasses "UConn athletics". Nike and UConn both realize this now. The new word marks (posted on the football board) look awesome.

Reaction Score
It's the 3 different ways to write Connecticut, the Connecticut vs UConn,, and the block C vs the UC vs the women's BB C vs the baseball C. We need 1 word mark, and one symbol for sports. Right now, when you think UConn football, you think of a completely different symbol than any other sport. Same for the 2 basketball teams. To have a unified brand, you need 1 logo that encompasses "UConn athletics". Nike and UConn both realize this now. The new word marks (posted on the football board) look awesome.

Same font on the Connecticuts, but are you talking about the half-arc versus the straight? Only time I've ever seen the state's name is in small print on the football jerseys. I don't like UConn on those. They look natural on the bball jerseys. The block C and the UC are for totally different uses. C on the helmets because UC is too intricate and typical. UC on the v-neck--even on football jerseys you can do it. Don't know anything about baseball. I'm sure it's not a big deal.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Same font on the Connecticuts, but are you talking about the half-arc versus the straight? Only time I've ever seen the state's name is in small print on the football jerseys. I don't like UConn on those. They look natural on the bball jerseys. The block C and the UC are for totally different uses. C on the helmets because UC is too intricate and typical. UC on the v-neck--even on football jerseys you can do it. Don't know anything about baseball. I'm sure it's not a big deal.

They used to use the half-arc version on the Men's Away jerseys until they changed in 2008.

3213670_display_image.jpg

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
and I think they used it on the white ones, as well.

They changed the home jerseys to say UCONN in 98-99 I believe.

Before that they did say Connecticut across the front but the font was slightly different at the time.
img10344113.jpg

I think these were my favorite jerseys ever.

Reaction Score
They used to use the half-arc version on the Men's Away jerseys until they changed in 2008.

3213670_display_image.jpg

Gotcha. I don't even remember those. I can see your point here.

I am a bit ambivalent about their use on football Unis. The UConn may be too big and blocky on a football uni. It looks right on basketball.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Gotcha. I don't even remember those. I can see your point here.

I am a bit ambivalent about their use on football Unis. The UConn may be too big and blocky on a football uni. It looks right on basketball.

I think the Football Jerseys should not have UConn or Connecticut on the front. Most football jerseys in College or NFL just have the number on the front and maybe a small logo above that. I like the current jerseys w/ the big numbers and a small block C at the collar. If you need to put a logo I think it should go on the pant legs or maybe the sleeves. The old ones with the arching Connecticut looked kinda small time in my opinion.

image_466226584_Nike-Connecticut-Huskies-UConn-34-Navy-Blue-Juvenile-Replica-Football-Jersey.jpg

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Good memory. It was the episode where Sam was trying to find out about the secret that makes Rebecca's knees go week, I think. Her character was a uconn alumni.
Thats it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul