UConn @ Liberty University (3/4-3/6) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Liberty University (3/4-3/6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Survive the 10th inning and we have a good shot, Liberty's bullpen beyond Cole is atrocious. Unfortunately the top of the 10th has been bad.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Awesome win. Vs. their weakened bullpen and #3 starter tomorrow, we have a nice chance to take this series. Winning a series without winning the Kay game would mean a lot.

Reaction Score
This team is really showing some toughness this year. Daniello came up huge twice today and the bullpen was unbelievable. Great win.

Reaction Score
Bullpen was gritty as hell. Great job by them. That polonia kid is gonna make it tough on Penders when it comes to deciding on the closer when ratulo returns.

Reaction Score
Wow! We had a 4:30 restaurant dinner gathering with a portion of my wife's family, so I missed the end of the game. It was 5-1 when we left it, Tim Cate was pitching great, and the offense at the time was putting up some threats but not putting much on the scoreboard. Imagine my surprise two hours later when I checked my phone for the score. Big kudos not only to Tim Cate in his spectacular UConn debut, but also to Over, Darras, and Polonia in keeping the door shut on the Liberty offense and allowing UConn to come back. With the UConn starter Montgomerie driven from the game and the UConn offense not putting up runs early, this is the type of game that could have easily gotten away from the Huskies. But the bullpen brigade kept it within hailing distance, and the hitters took advantage of that by coming up big towards the end of the game. Good stuff!

Reaction Score
Bullpen was gritty as hell. Great job by them. That polonia kid is gonna make it tough on Penders when it comes to deciding on the closer when ratulo returns.

I suspect that the closer job will be primarily Ruotolo's, with Polonia getting some opportunities depending on the situation. Given the apparent depth of the UConn bullpen, I doubt Coach Penders will feel a need to overwork anyone on the staff, including Ruotolo.

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 11:19am via Twitter Web Client
Freshman RHP @RonnieRosso earns his first career start on the bump.#UConn's lineup for Sunday's rubber game:
Cc4LUdCWEAELghV.jpg

Reaction Score
UConn infield throwing error leads to an unearned run for Liberty in the bottom of the 2nd inning. Game tied at 1.

Reaction Score
Top of 3rd. LeFevre single, Hill bunts him to 2nd, and LeFevre scores on a single by Yahn. 2-1 UConn lead going into bottom of 3rd.

Reaction Score
Sundberg throws out a runner at the plate in the bottom of the 3rd to preserve the UConn lead.

Reaction Score
Rossomando tires in the 5th and allows two runs. John Russell comes out of the pen and gets two outs to get out of further trouble. 3-2 Liberty lead.

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 3:30pm via Twitter Web Client
T8: #UConn will bring the tying run to the plate. The "Cali Kids" DeRoche-Duffin and Gnesda coming up. Pitching change coming for Liberty.

UConnBaseball 3:35pm via Twitter Web Client
T8: DUFF... DOUBLE!
The Husky OF cuts the deficit to one with a clutch two-RBI double down the line. Gnesda digs in.
Liberty 5, #UConn 4

UConnBaseball 3:41pm via Twitter Web Client
MID 8: Liberty 5, #UConn 4
Huskies cut into the Flames' lead after DeRoche-Duffin's two-run double. 8-9-1 due up in the Liberty lineup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

One thing that is apparent is that the UConn bullpen is strong enough to keep them in games where the starter leaves fairly early in the game. It happened again after Rossomando left the game in the 5th, the Huskies got quality relief from Domnarski, Dandeneau, and Over. This time, while the offense came up with some late inning threats, it just wasn't enough to win the game.

UConn starting pitching hasn't done too well so far. Taking into account with what we have seen with the offense and the bullpen performances so far, if the starting pitchers ever get around to having consistent quality starts, this team could win a lot of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom