UConn is academically superior to most of the B10 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn is academically superior to most of the B10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't let the Rutrolls take your eyes off the prize. These are sports conferences and sports are about winning. UConn won more NCAA titles in the last week than Rutgers have in their entire history.
Interestingly, UConn also won more last weekend than the entire Big 10 has won in a decade.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, UConn also won more last weekend than the entire Big 10 has won in a decade.

In the BIG two sports, hell yeah. But the BIG crowns an average of 5-6 NCAA champions a year. I know most of us don't give much credit to these less popular Olympic Sports, me included. But I care at the end of the day & this is part of why I like UConn to the BIG: you've got a nice Men's Soccer Program - Field Hockey as well.

This year, the BIG is having a slower year, but PSU and Meechigan have combined to win 4 NCAA titles. I think the conference will see at least one more title by year's end. My alma mater was in two NCAA CG's - hockey - we lost :(. And what about the ever, universally popular bowling? Neb was in the finals ;)

Reaction Score
This makes a lot of sense. Research heavy institutions will have a lot of top grad school programs because opportunities for grant money attracts top professors and top professors + a lot of research opportunity attracts top grad students. UConn has done a tremendous job of positioning itself to significantly improve on a lot of their stem grad programs over the next 10 years. I'm sure you are aware of the $1.5 billion planned investment into STEM over the next 10-15 years in addition to the other investments and commitments already made to things like the UConn health center. The rise in research and many grad school programs should be pretty incredible.

Man, if I had to do it all over again - I'd frankly bypass most, if not all big public schools & go the Liberal Arts college route for undergraduate school. I would also include avoiding bigger private schools for as well. But I'm absolutely happy I went to graduate school at a BIG institution - Wisky. Graduate schools, as already said, are "the bread and butter" of most public-research institutions.

The BIG is filled with outstanding graduate schools, and frankly the climate, colder months, helped me stay focused - nothing but research and classroom application during these months.

UConn has nothing but upside when it comes to academics - I've got nothing but nice things to say about you all. Hope you get into the BIG soon.

Reaction Score
Was talking at a conference with a bunch of Big 10 alums last week..........they were all very happy about UCONN's win, even though we trashed the much admired Izzo. They all were commenting about how UCONN would have made sense over Rutgers, but their big problem was sending big 10 schools to the RENT with a 40k capacity.......they all were curious about whether the stadium could up to 55 k which they thought was the number that rang bells with the Big 10. Other than scheduling some games in NYC or Foxboro, they seemed to think that without a commitment to expand the RENT, that it could be a major drawback. I really didn't have an answer for them, but felt that the vibe about UCONN, especially after the NC for men/women was a big deal - and one Female Northwestern alum commented that the Women's field hockey championship was noticed in Evanston because of that schools traditional rep. In field hockey......so you never know where the good vibes are going to come from. No negatives about the academic thing at all. They love Coach O !

Reaction Score
Was talking at a conference with a bunch of Big 10 alums last week.....they were all very happy about UCONN's win, even though we trashed the much admired Izzo. They all were commenting about how UCONN would have made sense over Rutgers, but their big problem was sending big 10 schools to the RENT with a 40k capacity..they all were curious about whether the stadium could up to 55 k which they thought was the number that rang bells with the Big 10. Other than scheduling some games in NYC or Foxboro, they seemed to think that without a commitment to expand the RENT, that it could be a major drawback. I really didn't have an answer for them, but felt that the vibe about UCONN, especially after the NC for men/women was a big deal - and one Female Northwestern alum commented that the Women's field hockey championship was noticed in Evanston because of that schools traditional rep. In field hockey.so you never know where the good vibes are going to come from. No negatives about the academic thing at all. They love Coach O !
Next time tell them the Rent was designed to be easily expanded, and the foundation is there. Tell them it goes up to 100k if that matters. ;^)

Reaction Score
In the BIG two sports, hell yeah. But the BIG crowns an average of 5-6 NCAA champions a year. I know most of us don't give much credit to these less popular Olympic Sports, me included. But I care at the end of the day & this is part of why I like UConn to the BIG: you've got a nice Men's Soccer Program - Field Hockey as well.

This year, the BIG is having a slower year, but PSU and Meechigan have combined to win 4 NCAA titles. I think the conference will see at least one more title by year's end. My alma mater was in two NCAA CG's - hockey - we lost :(. And what about the ever, universally popular bowling? Neb was in the finals ;)

We have 3 this year, so your 5-6 have already been attained. It's time for the other 12 member to step up to the plate and chip in with a few. We're getting tired of carrying the load for everybody else here in little old State College. :p

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
you do the difference between #57 and #69 is a couple of points right? For US News there isn't much difference in academic quality between #75 and #50 but there is a big difference between $25 and #50. What really matters is what you do with that education. Everything else is pretty frivolous.

The other rankings buggsy sites are researched based. Research isn't given much weight in us news. All of these rankings are subjective and should really only be taken as a quantitative measurement of where that university is with their desired peers. If they are in the same ballpark then that's all that should matter. THese pissing contests over academic rank, which are highly subjective, are just ridiculous. We're both tier 2 schools (as are all schools in the big ten not named Michigan or Northwestern), deal with it.

pj

Reaction Score
THese pissing contests over academic rank, which are highly subjective, are just ridiculous. We're both tier 2 schools (as are all schools in the big ten not named Michigan or Northwestern), deal with it.

True. Rutgers is a fine school academically. I was at Harvard and knew a number of people who left Harvard for Rutgers. By the standards the B1G uses, focused on research, UConn wishes it were Rutgers' equal. UConn is trying to get there, and may in 20-30 years or so. It is just a legacy of underinvestment, research in Connecticut was left to Yale, UConn was the cow college.

But the schools are comparable in terms of undergraduate education, and athletically, UConn is superior. One would hope athletics conferences would value athletics.

Reaction Score
God these threads are tedious. If conference realignment had anything at all to do with athletic and academic excellence UCONN would now be in either the B1G or the ACC. It doesn't, so we're not.

Reaction Score
In some departments Rutgers outranks UConn by a very wide margin. I believe its just only the sciences. In other departments UConn does the same to Rutgers. These publications should be taken with a grain of salt. Both schools are very good when it comes to servicing the students particular needs. Although I think you guys get the better overall state support.

Reaction Score
We have 3 this year, so your 5-6 have already been attained. It's time for the other 12 member to step up to the plate and chip in with a few. We're getting tired of carrying the load for everybody else here in little old State College. :p

Yeah you and Michigan have been on a run lately. Most of Minnesota's 17 NCAA titles have been earned since 2000: 2 (Men's Hockey), 4 (Women's Hockey), 3 (Wrestling), & 1 (Men's Golf) - yes we won the M. Golf title.

PSU, man you guys are in the mid-40s now (strictly NCAA). You might catch OkSt. soon, but best of luck closing the gap with UCLA, USC or Stanford :p

Look out for Md when they join - they always contend in both Lacrosses, Field Hockey and M. Soccer. They've had a nice year in athletics, runners up in Soccer, the last 4 in Field Hockey, last four in W. Basketball.

I'm ultimately happy if you all stay ahead of Michigan, sorry Sea Blue.

Btw, you're welcome for the wrestling title. I still can't believe our two best wrestlers choked that one away. But man, with the dual format coming, watch out. This is Minnesota's specialty under Robinson. We've been runners up to y'all 2 of the past 3 years. Ouch on our runners up - 6 total since 1998,

PS God Bless PSU W. Volleyball, and the BIG in general - we're quietly stealing that sport away from the Pac12. There have been so many BIG teams in the CG, but only you guys have won it - Neb as well, but all three of their titles won during their Big12 days. But, we do have better hs recruits in our footprint than the West Coast now - so this success is somewhat expected. I love watching this sport live - it's so underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom