UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I'm not focusing on that call, UConn played a hell of a game. Nika and KK were defensive menaces, Ice Brady all of a sudden made shot after shot and kept UConn in the game when it was close, she shocked me this tournament but her mid-range is lethal when she is confident. Paige had a good game but the difference down the stretch was too much Caitlin and not enough Paige.

Marshall was a pest and bother Bueckers all night. But Nika gave Clark fits and played the best defense on her she has ever seen.

All in all UConn did well this season and it was so weird hearing people cheer for Iowa while UConn was present. Typically UConn brings the crowd. Onward and Upward.

Reaction Score
I think that we should stop talking about how far we came with so many injuries. It seems like qualifying a great effort by the whole team this year and how far they went in the tournament, another Final Four. I hope that as many people greet this team when they return to Connecticut as they would have if they had won the national championship. They really deserve it for an outstanding season.

I'm sorry but for me I can't. When I make that comment it's one of pride and I feel a badge of honor the UCONN team deserves for what they accomplished.

sun

Reaction Score
As a wise person once said "Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder". Thought some might find the following video of interest (value). I took segments of the game illustrating Edwards foul in real time followed by slow motion. I've been watching UConn women's basketball forever. My wife huge fan. I'm a little less so. My take on the file call is ref was in a good position, Edwards made a significant step into the player. Also Edwards left arm/elbow gives the appearance of a shove. Marshall does a very good job of selling the foul. Ref is in a good position to see everything. Bang-bang play in the last seconds. Personally I don't fault the ref on this call there's enough there to consider of unfair advantage to UConn.

Thank you. Your video is well worth more than 10,000 words.
It's the only one that I've seen that shows what Edwards did that led to the foul call & without any bias.

Reaction Score
Tonight I went out to dinner. I overheard the conversation at the table next to mine. One person commented on the UCONN mens basketball team playing tonight. The woman at the table said,"the womens' team would have been playing for the championship tomorrow if it hadn't been for a bad ref call in the final seconds." A man at the table said that it's sad to see the refs insert themselves into the game in the final seconds. The other man said, "Yeh, I guess the fix was on. It's sad to think that womens college basketball is as susceptible to that sort of thing as some other sports." The woman said, "I expected the referees to be better than that, Its really disappointing for a sport where both teams tried so hard. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I don't want to talk about it anymore.

Reaction Score
You make note of an interesting point. We know Paige can be clutch and will take the money shot, but I am perplexed between Elite 8 Paige (28 vs Baylor, 27 vs NC St, and 28 against USC) and Final Four Paige.

Her freshman year Final Four game against Arizona, their defensive scheme was designed to limit her from beating them. Since she was a frosh and Arizona played above their norm and were on a run, I give Paige a pass. In the championship game against SC, I feel she ran out of gas (I also believe she came back too soon) & SC was simply better that season. Again, a pass.

I had high expectations for Paige last nite, thinking she had exercised any previous Final Four demons after the sensational tourney run that she was enjoying. Inexplicably, she allowed herself to be removed from the game, just at the very moment she needed to assert herself. I wouldn't have minded if she was 0 - 7 from the floor in the 4th, as long as she was aggressive and took matters in her hands. She doesn't have to shoot, she can facilitate, but she can't do that unless the ball is in her hands. Too many times, UConn came down in the 4th, and Paige was not involved in the half court offense. For a person of her stature and skill, that is inexcusable.

The worst part is that Paige is a baller, and already has a killer instinct. For some reason though, she's reluctant to let that aspect out. I thought this hesitation was behind her after the previous 7 games, where she asserted herself when needed. Last night, she picked a wrong time to revert to old ways.

In one of the pressers, Geno sent Paige a departing offseason message that I hope stays with her about not waiting for the right moment, and the need to be more selfish. Ironically, Paige's teammates, like Caitlin Clark's want to win and they want Paige to take over in those needed moments. Just look at Clark's teammates - they all seem to love her and they have her back. It would be the same way for Paige.

As she enters her final season in a UConn uniform, I hope she spends some time thinking about her legacy, and when the moment arises again (another Final Four), she leaves no doubt about her imprint on the game, win or lose. She is already an all-time great. Going out with a NC next year would only cement her place in the pantheon of UConn greats. Think about it Paige.
There is a lot for Paige to learn from this game.

Reaction Score
The men move on to the national championship game. It really hurts that we don’t have both teams playing for a championship again this year.

Reaction Score
After watching multiple replays of the final 10 seconds of the game and reading, all the comments about the game, I feel sad for Iowa and their players, because so many people are asking whether they legitimately won the game. Yes, they get to play in the final game, but would they have won? I think that must be hard and a disservice by the referees to both teams.

I think that we should stop talking about how far we came with so many injuries. It seems like qualifying a great effort by the whole team this year and how far they went in the tournament, another Final Four. I hope that as many people greet this team when they return to Connecticut as they would have if they had won the national championship. They really deserve it for an outstanding season.
I think the players on both teams feel a bit cheated, because of that call ( a call any decent ref simply doesn't make in those circumstances ). Iowa players will, of course, feel a bit less cheated....being handed the "W." But their fans were cheated, as well.

We had the moment for an unreal shot by Paige, or someone else. Alternatively, Iowa fans were cheated of a possible great defensive play by one of their favorite players. The last thing fans, in any sport, want to see is a close game decided by a marginal, and unnecessary foul ( or penalty ) call. The referees are not meant to perform that function. And the moment of excellence is gone, now, forever. That referee belongs in another profession.

Paige showed great class and honesty when she said that the final call was not the reason UCONN lost. We all saw multiple missed opportunities on the part of UCONN. We saw a significant early lead collapse. We saw unforced errors which resulted in turnovers and Iowa points. We saw shots that Paige and Edwards normally make, fall off. We saw the sharp shooting Shade go 0-6 down the stretch. A lot of our best game didn't happen, and yet we were within a basket at the very end.

Everyone played hard and gave 100% effort. We can only be proud, even while disappointed in the outcome.
A team to be remembered forever with love and awe.

Reaction Score
Enough said: "It is what it is, let's move on!"
Actually, let's not. This kind of call, love it or hate it, probably cost the Huskies a place in the championship game. You just don't get "over" it. I'd prefer to "go with the flow".

Reaction Score
I am referring to a screen set before she gets the ball, not as she is dribbling.
News to me and I've watched her a ton. She almost always has the ball in her hands and that would've been the case in a similar scenario for Iowa.
She ran off of a double screen to get her first three this game I think. No she’s not off ball a ton but if she’s got a slow start the team gives her opportunities to get open and get going. You think she wouldn’t run of a screen to get the inbounds pass?

Reaction Score
I think PB passes to a rolling AE and then maybe she makes the dribble and layup for the win. There is a chance that she misses and/or walks or fumbles the pass. Too bad we didn't get to see it play through - would have made an amazing finish that people would have talked about for years.....

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I was just reading the Iowa fan forum and they have a thread dedicated to Nika. The consensus is that Nika is a great defender and the job she did on Clark was by far the best this year. They were impressed that she did not beat Clark up as was done by West Virginia. Its always great when the opponent give compliments, even though we lost. Great job Nika, probably her best game all year. Gonna miss her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom