UConn in the NFL | Page 19 | The Boneyard

UConn in the NFL

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Jim Nance mentioned Nick Williams by name as a, "2nd year player out of Uconn."

I know nobody will agree with this - but I feel like announcers seem to go out of their way to mention UConn when talking about our players. I mean, not far out of their way, but more often than not its mentioned.

Reaction Score
Lots of the announcers live in and around CT, as does Nance. They follow UConn and like to recognize those Huskies who make the NFL grade. Part of it is the "wow that's surprising" factor for the audience. What I don't like is the fact that the starting lineup visuals no longer have the college listed. You would think that would be of interest to the many fans who are proud to see their alums have made the team, and want the world to know it.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Lots of the announcers live in and around CT, as does Nance. They follow UConn and like to recognize those Huskies who make the NFL grade. Part of it is the "wow that's surprising" factor for the audience. What I don't like is the fact that the starting lineup visuals no longer have the college listed. You would think that would be of interest to the many fans who are proud to see their alums have made the team, and want the world to know it.
I think the Sunday night games are the only one left that have the starting players say their name and school.....although some go the high school route.

Reaction Score
I think the Sunday night games are the only one left that have the starting players say their name and school.....although some go the high school route.
That's right. And don't you love it when the player says "UConn"? I wrote CBS Sports and asked them why doesn't the name of the college appear below the position and player name. They said it clutters the graphic. I'm going to keep trying.

Reaction Score
J187Money said:
Going to try and connect with Sio in Indy this week.

My wife and I with Sio. He is really happy in Indy!

Attachments

• image-3517305606.jpg
    image-3517305606.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 94
Reaction Score
NHRJimFullerOct 20, 9:18pm via Twitter for iPhone
Former #UConn DL Shamar Stephen placed on injured reserve by Vikings

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_28997437/vikings-place-stephen-season-ending-ir

>>The Vikings on Tuesday placed defensive tackle Shamar Stephen on season-ending injured reserve and signed defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis.

Stephen suffered what the team called a toe injury in the second quarter of Sunday's 16-10 win over Kansas City at TCF Bank Stadium and was taken off the field on a cart. He had his left foot in a walking boot Monday but declined comment on his injury.<<

Reaction Score
Interesting, according to Pro Football Focus, Will Beatty has the 3rd longest active sackless streak amongst O-Lineman (my man Andrew Whitworth is 1st :cool:)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/21/10-best-sack-less-streaks-among-left-tackles/

Rank Left tackle Team Snaps without allowing sack
1. Andrew Whitworth CIN 819
2. D’Brickashaw Ferguson NYJ 563
3. William Beatty NYG 362
4. Tyron Smith DAL 352
5. Matt Kalil MIN 313
6. Sebastian Vollmer NE 262
7. Rodger Saffold STL 259
8. Trent Williams WAS 237
9. Jason Peters PHI 232
10. Terron Armstead NO 229

Reaction Score
Nick Williams getting some good chances today. 3 catches for 43 yards so far. Career day so far.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Byron Jones just made one of the most crazy INT I have ever seen.

Reaction Score
Atlanta Falcons Verified account‏@AtlantaFalcons
WR Nick Williams is carving out a place in the Falcons' offense.
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/...-Atlanta/c914a217-c8e0-4b90-8372-9402e4bd17fd

>>And, though the Falcons entered camp deep at receiver, Williams' strong work ethic and reliable hands earned him a spot on the 53-man roster.

“I think it’s just the work and mindset that he has. He’s one of the best competitors we have,” Quinn said. “And that’s really how he played his way on to the team, in terms of, ‘OK, you’re here because of the way you battle and compete.’”

Williams has made the most of his opportunities in 2015 and has developed a reputation as someone who can move the chains. So far he’s averaging 10.9 yards per catch, and seven of his nine receptions have gone for first downs.

“The times that we target him, he just seems to come up with first down catch after first down catch,” said Quinn. “I think it’s that ability to know that when you go over in his direction, he’s coming down with it. He is a great competitor.”<<

Reaction Score
Rod Marinelli can't remember a rookie DB that played as well as Byron Jones
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...kie-db-that-played-as-well-as-byron-jones.ece

>>IRVING -- Rod Marinelli had to pause for a few seconds before answering a question after Thursday's practice. The Cowboys defensive coordinator was thinking about other rookie defensive backs he's coached and if any compared to the Cowboys' Byron Jones.

"I can't remember one as a rookie," said Marinelli, who has been coaching in the NFL since 1996.

Who has done what he's done?

"Yeah, as a rookie coming out playing as well as he has," Marinelli said, "I can't remember."

Jones' workload has steadily increased during his first season in Dallas. The first-round pick has played corner, nickel and free safety. He started at free safety against Seattle last week and is expected to do the same Sunday night against the Eagles.

"It's amazing that he's been able to do this as a rookie," Marinelli said. "That's asking a lot of a veteran to do that. But he has handled everything well. He's so conscientious. But not just the assignment, the attention to detail and the skill development, that's what I'm really impressed with.

"I don't know all the rookies. I don't keep track. But I can't believe anyone is playing as well."<<

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Did anyone catch them do the Talking Heads with the Dallas D? I realized I missed it when Collinsworth was gushing over Jones. Wanted to see if he was in it and hear him say UConn. Rewound the game but couldn't find it.

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch them do the Talking Heads with the Dallas D? I realized I missed it when Collinsworth was gushing over Jones. Wanted to see if he was in it and hear him say UConn. Rewound the game but couldn't find it.
They've been drooling over BJ. Unfortunately for my fantasy team he's really taken Matthews behind the woodshed

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Ouch, Matthews just schooled Jones on the Eagles' second TD drive drive - a couple plays after he made a great play to break up a screen.

I'm conflicted tonight: diehard Eagles fan, but wanna see Byron Jones do well...

Reaction Score
Ouch, Matthews just schooled Jones on the Eagles' second TD drive drive - a couple plays after he made a great play to break up a screen.

I'm conflicted tonight: diehard Eagles fan, but wanna see Byron Jones do well...

As a Giants fan... I feel the same way every time we place Dallas now.

Reaction Score
Castrol EDGE Clutch Performer of Week 9
http://www.nfl.com/voting/clutch-performer/2015/REG/9?campaign=tw-nf-sf15114096-sf15114096

Darius Butler, Indianapolis Colts
Shortly after kicker Adam Vinatieri gave the Colts a 27-24 lead, Butler picked off Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning at midfield. The Colts used up the rest of the six minutes left on the game clock to give Denver its first loss of the season.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...arius-Butler-picks-off-Broncos-Peyton-Manning

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom