UConn In Discussions With ACC? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn In Discussions With ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
All kidding aside BL, in the intercollegiate landscape, moving forward, and as both an academic and athletic institution, the University of Connecticut has a hell of a lot more in common with our current partners, than we do with any of the ACC membership.

I'm sorry, but you could not be more wrong.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I honestly don't know what to think here. I suppose the ACC would be better for hoop and that's the backbone of UConn sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
if we end up in the acc, i hope to god they redo the divisions to big public and losers divisions. it would suck to get a couple private in the same division on the home schedule.

uconn/clem/fsu/unc/ncst/md/uva/?
pitt/cuse/bc/duke/wake/vt/gt/miami

You don't want private schools like Southern Cal, Stanford or Notre Dame clogging up the schedule that can be filled with Kent State or SUNY-Buffalo.

I know I'd hate to see Miami at Rentschler.

How are VPI or Georgia Tech not good enough public schools for your division?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I try not to make monetary decisions with my feelings, because they act as poor brain cells, but all I can think about while reading the latest discussion threads is, "A football championship in Charlotte and a basketball championship in Raleigh....(I throw up in my mouth)....a football championship in Charlotte and a basketball championship in Raleigh....(I throw up in my mouth)...."

If money played no part in all of this, I can tell you that I would rather stay in the Big East. It's where my heart is, and I hate the vast majority of teams in the ACC. But money certainly does play a part in this, and I will always go with what's best for my university (though that is still not yet clear to me as it pertains to this issue, mind you)...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm failing to see the downside of a basketball tournament that has UConn, Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Pittsburgh versus Notre Dame, Marquette, Georgetown, Memphis and Villanova. You can't recreate the magic of the Garden - but can you even compare the stature of the teams involved.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
if we end up in the acc, i hope to god they redo the divisions to big public and losers divisions. it would suck to get a couple private in the same division on the home schedule.

uconn/clem/fsu/unc/ncst/md/uva/?
pitt/cuse/bc/duke/wake/vt/gt/miami

Let's look at the another way, should each of these teams come to the Rent.

Clemson - sellout+
FSU - sellout+
UNC - near sellout
NC St. - near sellout
Md - near sellout
VA- 30k+
Pitt- night game sellout
Cuse- 30k, only because they stink
BC- are you kidding me?
duke- 30k for basketball
wake- 30k
vt- sellout+
gt- 30k
miami- sellout+

If your interested in expanding the Rent, this is the way to go, unless the B1G calls. In which case, we start backing up the concrete trucks right now.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Bub, I'd go even further - provided UConn is having an OK to decent season, I think all of your "near sellouts" would be actual sellouts, and the 30Ks would be near sellouts to sellouts. That might happen with Houston, SMU, and UCF if they can step up in the NNBE, but my hunch is tickets would sell faster with the ACC schools.

Reaction Score
Oh, ok....well you want to play angles...think about this..

You all think there's any way that UConn lands a 6'6" 215 QB with all-state recogniztion in class 5-A ball in Texas, if we've got duck, BC, Cuse, GT, and Wake on the football schedule and no SMU or Houston?

THe possibilities of recruiting that the new big east brings in football is amazing for ALL the programs, and that is something that is HUGE for Connecticut, and recruiting - is the lifeblood of a footbal program, not scheduling. Scheduling is the money maker. But without recruiting, there is no winning, and therefore there is no need to be worried about scheduling

As for rivalrly, the closest thing we've got to a long term rivalry in football, is happening in 48 hours from now, everything else is new.

I'd much rather be where we are, with the freedom we've got ocming to negotiate our rights on the market, and to be aligned with multiple schools with the same interests, in both football, and basketball.

But then again - I'm the crazy one around here.

Reaction Score
Oh, ok....well you want to play angles...think about this..

You all think there's any way that UConn lands a 6'6" 215 QB with all-state recogniztion in class 5-A ball in Texas, if we've got duck, BC, Cuse, GT, and Wake on the football schedule and no SMU or Houston?

THe possibilities of recruiting that the new big east brings in football is amazing for ALL the programs, and that is something that is HUGE for Connecticut, and recruiting - is the lifeblood of a footbal program, not scheduling. Scheduling is the money maker. But without recruiting, there is no winning, and therefore there is no need to be worried about scheduling

As for rivalrly, the closest thing we've got to a long term rivalry in football, is happening in 48 hours from now, everything else is new.

I'd much rather be where we are, with the freedom we've got ocming to negotiate our rights on the market, and to be aligned with multiple schools with the same interests, in both football, and basketball.

But then again - I'm the crazy one around here.

I'm sorry -- what Big XII schools did we beat out for out Texas QB that we couldn't have gotten him if our schedule was different but improved?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry -- what Big XII schools did we beat out for out Texas QB that we couldn't have gotten him if our schedule was different but improved?

I'll take this serious for a minute. Tom Jackson recruited like hell in the 1980s, and ended up with one of the most successful runs of UConn football to date, most of our all-americans all time - came from that time. Different era....different landscape, but he found the players, to compete at the level we were at, and he didn't have to go far to do it.

Skip Holtz came in, and started recruiting, and worked like hell, to start to try to recruit elsewhere, even though we were still 1-AA. THe seeds were being laid down in the early 90s for the upgrade, and skippy knew we needed to recruit beyond what the normal reach was, if we were going to compete. I think Jumpp, was our first real big get out of Florida, and way I say real big....well, anyone going back far enough, will get a kick out of that.....he's a guy that wuold be looking up at Lyle mccombs, but he could play...... Skippy did a good job picking out top notch local talent too. Edsalll came along, and well, he's a bull in a china shop. In however he managed to come to the conclusion that to build a full roster at UConn, he would need to go beyond the local region, quite a bit, he managed to piss off every local football factory that could help him....but he knew we had to expand, and he never really put together a full 1-A roster caibre roster vertically, horizontally yes - not vertically. Pasqualoni....well, will talk more about him in a few years, if this comes up again.

The bottom line is that it's extremely difficult, to go into a region, anywhere in the country, and recruit top notch talent, if we're not actually going to be playing there at any time, an have no other reason to be there. We have NOT won anything yet, to be able to do that, and coach P's rep and experience helps, but we are also doing things the rightway, and demanding academics, and no dirty business.

Skip Holtz being able to recruit players out of Florida,and Georgia, and such - was an incredible step for UConn football. We had no business pulling players out of there, even if they were 5'6" 160lb tailbacks.

With the new big east, we've got recruiting reach from the northeast, to florida, to the mid-west to ohio, to texas and california.

WIth the ACC? We're recruiting for the yankee conference, if it went division 1-A.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Yeah let's stay in the BE so we can keep SMU and Houston on the schedule because that's who recruits want to compete against, not Miami / FSU in football or UNC / Duke in bball. :rolleyes:

And let's take 5-10 years to nurture this UMass rivalry while they improve to MAC level football, instead of having an instant classic with BC who most of the fanbase already hates.

Reaction Score
Yeah let's stay in the BE so we can keep SMU and Houston on the schedule because that's who recruits want to compete against, not Miami / FSU in football or UNC / Duke in bball. :rolleyes:

And let's take 5-10 years to nurture this UMass rivalry while they improve to MAC level football, instead of having an instant classic with BC who most of the fanbase already hates.

You have any idea who turned around the Virginia Tech football program in a heartbeat about 15 years ago?

I didn't think so.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'll take this serious for a minute. Tom Jackson recruited like hell in the 1980s, and ended up with one of the most successful runs of UConn football to date, most of our all-americans all time - came from that time. Different era....different landscape, but he found the players, to compete at the level we were at, and he didn't have to go far to do it.

Skip Holtz came in, and started recruiting, and worked like hell, to start to try to recruit elsewhere, even though we were still 1-AA. THe seeds were being laid down in the early 90s for the upgrade, and skippy knew we needed to recruit beyond what the normal reach was, if we were going to compete. I think Jumpp, was our first real big get out of Florida, and way I say real big....well, anyone going back far enough, will get a kick out of that.....he's a guy that wuold be looking up at Lyle mccombs, but he could play...... Skippy did a good job picking out top notch local talent too. Edsalll came along, and well, he's a bull in a china shop. In however he managed to come to the conclusion that to build a full roster at UConn, he would need to go beyond the local region, quite a bit, he managed to piss off every local football factory that could help him....but he knew we had to expand, and he never really put together a full 1-A roster caibre roster vertically, horizontally yes - not vertically. Pasqualoni....well, will talk more about him in a few years, if this comes up again.

The bottom line is that it's extremely difficult, to go into a region, anywhere in the country, and recruit top notch talent, if we're not actually going to be playing there at any time, an have no other reason to be there. We have NOT won anything yet, to be able to do that, and coach P's rep and experience helps, but we are also doing things the rightway, and demanding academics, and no dirty business.

Skip Holtz being able to recruit players out of Florida,and Georgia, and such - was an incredible step for UConn football. We had no business pulling players out of there, even if they were 5'6" 160lb tailbacks.

With the new big east, we've got recruiting reach from the northeast, to florida, to the mid-west to ohio, to texas and california.

WIth the ACC? We're recruiting for the yankee conference, if it went division 1-A.
The answer was "none".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I understand you played for him and can't be thoughtful about this. Tom Jackson was not a good head coach. He had almost no success and Holtz and Edsall were both so much better it isn't even up for discussion.

We get it. Edsall didn't kiss the alumni player's asses. Randy Edsall may go 0-12 at Maryland this year. Tom Jackson couldn't carry his jock.

Tom Jackson stayed employed because the University did not care about the football program. It's that simple.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This all goes back to the Supreme Court, the Anti-Trust decision, the captain of the Navy, the USS Hartford, Joe McCormick, our loss to Norwich Acadamy in 1896, and the ghosts of the Yankee Conference. Ignore at your own peril.

You left out the civil war era decision establishing land grant universities.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
You have any idea who turned around the Virginia Tech football program in a heartbeat about 15 years ago?

I didn't think so.
Do casual UConn fans care who is on UMass's coaching staff, or are they more interested in pounding BC because they're BC?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This all goes back to the Supreme Court, the Anti-Trust decision, the captain of the Navy, the USS Hartford, Joe McCormick, our loss to Norwich Acadamy in 1896, and the ghosts of the Yankee Conference. Ignore at your own peril.

That loss to Norwich Academy still burns my to this day!!

junglehusky

Reaction Score
You left out the civil war era decision establishing land grant universities.
And how intelligence agencies feed different stories to their assets when they need to flush a mole.

(seriously though, don't ever change Carl.)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You don't want private schools like Southern Cal, Stanford or Notre Dame clogging up the schedule that can be filled with Kent State or SUNY-Buffalo.

I know I'd hate to see Miami at Rentschler.

How are VPI or Georgia Tech not good enough public schools for your division?

vt left us and gt runs a spread. they are not my favorites i guess u could say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom