UConn Hosts Duke Wbb on 12/30 | The Boneyard

UConn Hosts Duke Wbb on 12/30

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Via Rich...Doesn't say which venue though. #CanTheSeasonStartAlready?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
UConn Fans will get to see the most overrated HC in WCBB, Joanne P. McCallie, her teams consistently underperform, fold in big games and disappear in the NCAA Tournament. Yet we constantly hear how great Coach P. is, what metric are we using to measure greatness?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
UConn Fans will get to see the most overrated HC in WCBB, Joanne P. McCallie, her teams consistently underperform, fold in big games and disappear in the NCAA Tournament. Yet we constantly hear how great Coach P. is, what metric are we using to measure greatness?
Recruiting success, I would guess. She is clearly top 3 there, along with Geno and Holly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
"Consistently underperform"

In the 7 years that McCallie has been at Duke, they have lived up to their NCAA seed 5 times. Their 2 early exists were in 2009, when they played on Michigan St's home floor, and in 2014 when they were injury decimated. I wouldn't classify that as consistent underperformance.

She also took a completely unheralded bunch of players at Michigan St to a NC game (including a trouncing of UConn at the Civic Center).

What she hasn't done is get her team over the hump -- lots of #2 and #3 seeds, but no breakthru to the final 4. For that reason, wouldn't say she's a great coach, but definitely a pretty good one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
#ButYesIWantToSeeThisGame

I don't.
With 5 graduates and Jones' transfer, this could be Duke's weakest team in years. Add to that the fact Geno clearly has McCallie figured out, and I think we're looking at bloodbath. In a year or two, when the Frosh/Sophs have more experience, this could be more interesting.

Last edited:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I am thinking it may be at the XL as school will be on winter break then....

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Recruiting success, I would guess. She is clearly top 3 there, along with Geno and Holly.
In the 2012 book, THE STORY OF THE NCAA BASKETBALL DANCE, by Barry Wilner, coach McCallie has high praise for the UCONN HUSKIES. I have the greatest respect for her, as a person and as a coach.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good OOC schedule for Duke.

@TexasA&M
@Nebraska
South Carolina
Oklahoma
Kentucky
@Uconn

https://www.dukechronicle.com/blogs...tball-releases-2014-15-nonconference-schedule

Duke's toughest test will come Dec. 30 when they travel to take on Connecticut. The Blue Devils have faced the Huskies in each of the past five seasons and have yet to register a win or come within 15 points. In that time, Duke is 0-6 against Connecticut, losing by an average of 28.67 points per game.

This is the last game between the two teams under the current contract. I do not expect Duke to renew.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This might be the ugliest Duke-UCONN game ever...talent wise, UCONN should have a significant advantage at every position besides center.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I don't.
With 4 graduates and Wells' transfer, this could be Duke's weakest team in years. Add to that the fact Geno clearly has McCallie figured out, and I think we're looking at bloodbath. In a year or two, when the Frosh/Sophs have more experience, this could be more interesting.

When and where did Wells transfer? I never read about it.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
When and where did Wells transfer? I never read about it.
Clearly vowelguy had a mental lapse. He meant to write Alexis Jones, who transferred to Baylor. Chloe Wells left the team near the end of last season, which was her senior season, so her eligibility has been exhausted regardless. Duke also lost starters Chelsea Gray, Tricia Liston, Haley Peters and sub Richa Jackson to graduation. The only returning starter is center Elizabeth Williams. Thus for the first time in many seasons, Duke comes in to this season with low expectations.

Reaction Score
Clearly vowelguy had a mental lapse. He meant to write Alexis Jones, who transferred to Baylor. Chloe Wells left the team near the end of last season, which was her senior season, so her eligibility has been exhausted regardless. Duke also lost starters Chelsea Gray, Tricia Liston, Haley Peters and sub Richa Jackson to graduation. The only returning starter is center Elizabeth Williams. Thus for the first time in many seasons, Duke comes in to this season with low expectations.

Yes, thank you FC! I meant Jones.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Recruiting success doesn't mean much unless it translates to on-court success, which it hasn't for Coach P. and the Dukies.

Reaction Score

Wrong Duke women's coach. Gail G. beats her by a long shot for underperformance.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't.
With 5 graduates and Jones' transfer, this could be Duke's weakest team in years. Add to that the fact Geno clearly has McCallie figured out, and I think we're looking at bloodbath. In a year or two, when the Frosh/Sophs have more experience, this could be more interesting.

I enjoyed the bloodbath in January 2011 and the monster Kelly Faris performance in January 2013. Both wins were by 30+, actually. So yes, I will happily see it.

Reaction Score
Recruiting success doesn't mean much unless it translates to on-court success, which it hasn't for Coach P. and the Dukies.
Depends on your definition of success. I doubt anyone can come up with 10 teams who have been more successful than Duke in the last 7 years.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Depends on your definition of success. I doubt anyone can come up with 10 teams who have been more successful than Duke in the last 7 years.
I would guess that depends on YOUR definition of success, no FF appearances and no NC's would qualify in my estimation.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
CamrnCrz1974 said:
This could not be more incorrect. A true fallacy.

Agreed. I was very surprised by that comment.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
Duke's toughest test will come Dec. 30 when they travel to take on Connecticut. The Blue Devils have faced the Huskies in each of the past five seasons and have yet to register a win or come within 15 points. In that time, Duke is 0-6 against Connecticut, losing by an average of 28.67 points per game.

This is the last game between the two teams under the current contract. I do not expect Duke to renew.

Just curious to ask why you think that Duke will not renew? I can speculate that with the ACC so strong they don't really need UConn, yet UConn has easily beaten all of the ACC against whom they have played. I would surmise that UConn is a true litmus test for teams to see just how they stack up against such competition...

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69