UConn Home & Home w/ Northeastern ~ Feb 13/14 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Home & Home w/ Northeastern ~ Feb 13/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nass is not a playmaker he is a finisher. Ronan is a playmaker. When Naas scores goals its because of the effort/hustle of his linemates. If he doesnt score ( and luckily he has scored some pretty clutch goals) then he is just a typical Uconn forward. Gerling is definitely not a playmaker. He doesnt move the puck.

Reaction Score
I have been a little bit worried that eventually this team would hit a wall. I wonder if it has happened. They don't have Hockey East depth, they have to play at the very top of their game every single night just to compete, and for the most part they have, but they look like they are running on fumes sometimes lately. I thought they looked that way at Notre Dame, and again against Providence even in the game they tied. Cavanaugh has done a remarkable job getting every bit of game out of these guys, but the guys like Pauly, Kirkland, they weren't recruited for Hockey East and I sort of think that the physical and mental toll of being the underdog virtually every single night is finally beginning to catch up with this team. It happens in sports. Sometimes teams bounce back and eventually get a second wind, and that's what I hope happens to UCONN and they finish the season strong. FWIW, I also think the scheduling has been a problem late. They played virtually the whole season with 2-3 days off between games largely due to the XL. Now they are in a stretch where they are travelling and playing home-home series back to back, or nearly back to back. That can be draining too when you haven't been doing it.

Reaction Score
UConn is 54th out of 59 teams with 1.90 goals/game and 56th out of 59 teams with a power play percentage of 11.11. Their leading scorer, Pauly, is tied for 55th in points in Hockey East and outside of the top 100 nationally. It has to be mentally draining on the players to go into these games knowing they have to hold the opposition to no more than 2 goals. Night in and night out that is a lot of pressure to be under, especially for Nichols. It is actually being unfair to Nichols to rely upon him as much as they do.

Reaction Score
Wight and Ferriss replaced with Brad Smith and Will Golonka. Smith's first game since November. Ojantakanen off the freshman line and Drake and Segalla switch partners.

B90_uK4IUAAs4t_.png:large

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The performance of this team in it's first HE season is nothing short of incredible with huge home wins against far superior teams and some very credible performances on the road where they were overmatched. The team and Nichols in particular have played much better than we could have expected. In many games where we were totally outshot Nichols kept us in it and allowed us the chance to win. He didn't have a great game last night or at providence but the team didn't give him the help he needed either. Once we have the type of roster that is competitive with the other teams in the league we can expect to not have that type of result. Until then, we have to expect that to happen when we play a team that is hot offensively, plays solid defense AND gets great goaltending so we can't get on the board. We still have a great shot at keeping playoff home ice. Hopefully the home ice magic continues... GO Huskies!!

Reaction Score
2-0 Northeastern early in the second. UConn doing nothing offensively.

Reaction Score
4-1 after 2. UConn had some life after their goal but Northeastern eventually took charge again.

Reaction Score
6-1 Final

Unbelievable that Northeastern was 0-9-1 to start the season. 14-2-3 since.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
All the signs of a squad running out of gas. Half the team was never intended to compete at this level for an entire season. When Cav was talking about competing every night in HE with no breaks as opposed to last season, this is exactly what he meant. A late season series against a mid-table team was going to be a much bigger challenge than playing Sacred Heart and Niagara.

I hope the team can step up and hold on to a top 8 spot. To me this season has been a huge success, but it would be a real shame if the kids weren't rewarded for all their work by collapsing late.

Reaction Score
UConnMHOC 6:45pm via Twitter Web Client
Final Wrap from Hartford - UConn Drops Hockey East Series to Northeastern, Falling 6-1

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/021415aaa.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/stats/2014-2015/1415gm31.html

The Huskies will be back on the ice when they face New Hampshire in a home-and-home series next weekend. UConn will host UNH at the XL Center on Friday night at 7:05 pm and travel to Durham, N.H. on Saturday for a 7:00 pm start. Saturday's game will be televised live on NESN.

Reaction Score
Looks like they are headed for a 10th place finish the way things are shaping up.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that yet. They need minimum 2 points next week maybe 3. Maine still has to play NU and Prov

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Looks like they are headed for a 10th place finish the way things are shaping up.

Have tiebreakers on Maine and MC...Maine's remaining schedule is much tougher than UConn's.

Don't give up the fort yet.

Reaction Score

UConn has a favorable schedule remaining. UNH is struggling this year, and UMass-Amherst is...UMass-Amherst. Win two of three, and we are in a good place to get a first-round home series (not bad at all for our first year).

Seriously, UConn is four points (i.e. two wins) out of fourth place, and wins the tiebreaker with Maine for 8th currently (though the Black Bears have a game in hand. Fourth is unreachable due to circumstances, but finishing between 5-8 is not unreasonable.

22 points is the potential ceiling for UConn. Fifth place is also the potential ceiling, but winning all their remaining games could still leave them in ninth.

They can't beat Boston U or Boston College on points. Third place is ALSO unreachable, for two reasons:
1) UConn loses the current tiebreaker to UMass-Lowell, due to an 0-1-1 head to head record.
2) In order for UML to finish with 22 points, UML cannot win any more games. That means surrendering four points to UVM, giving the Catamounts 23, one ahead of UConn.

Fourth place is not possible because:
1) UConn must win all remaining games.
2a) Providence cannot win or tie any games.
2b) Because that would surrender four points to Maine, Maine cannot get any more than two points against BU (UConn wins the tiebreaker).
3a) Northeastern can only take one point in their remaining four games (i.e must be three losses and one tie, or four losses).
3b) That would ALSO surrender at least three points to Maine, who would have either 23 or 24.

Fifth place is possible, but not likely; UConn can get some help here from fourth-place Providence if they beat Maine at least once.
1) UConn must win all remaining games.
2) Northeastern cannot gain any more than one point.
3) Notre Dame cannot gain any more than one point.
4) Maine can gain, at most, six points out of their remaining eight (they have to beat Northeastern twice, and can either tie twice or win once against Providence, to help UConn).
5) UVM cannot gain more than two points out of their remaining eight (against Merrimack and UML; Merrimack winning here doesn't hurt because as long as UConn sweeps their remainder, the Warriors cannot catch them).

If only one of 2-5 above is false, UConn can take sixth (they'll either lose on a tiebreaker, or simply fall one or two points shy). Northeastern doing so is the best case for us, because as long as they beat Maine once, UConn will always finish higher than UMO.

The worst case scenario for UConn winning all their remaining games is this:
1) Northeastern wins one game against BU, and loses both matches to Maine.
2) Notre Dame wins at least one game against BC or BU.
3) UVM gets three points against Merrimack and/or UVM.
4) Maine beats Providence twice.

This leaves UConn ninth, with 22 points, and facing any of Northeastern, UVM, or Notre Dame on the road in the first round.

Reaction Score
Friday is a must win if they want to finish ahead of UNH. If they lose Friday, home ice is gone. Will not win Saturday night.

Reaction Score
kingdobbs said:
UConn has a favorable schedule remaining. UNH is struggling this year, and UMass-Amherst is...UMass-Amherst. Win two of three, and we are in a good place to get a first-round home series (not bad at all for our first year). Seriously, UConn is four points (i.e. two wins) out of fourth place, and wins the tiebreaker with Maine for 8th currently (though the Black Bears have a game in hand. Fourth is unreachable due to circumstances, but finishing between 5-8 is not unreasonable. 22 points is the potential ceiling for UConn. Fifth place is also the potential ceiling, but winning all their remaining games could still leave them in ninth. They can't beat Boston U or Boston College on points. Third place is ALSO unreachable, for two reasons: 1) UConn loses the current tiebreaker to UMass-Lowell, due to an 0-1-1 head to head record. 2) In order for UML to finish with 22 points, UML cannot win any more games. That means surrendering four points to UVM, giving the Catamounts 23, one ahead of UConn. Fourth place is not possible because: 1) UConn must win all remaining games. 2a) Providence cannot win or tie any games. 2b) Because that would surrender four points to Maine, Maine cannot get any more than two points against BU (UConn wins the tiebreaker). 3a) Northeastern can only take one point in their remaining four games (i.e must be three losses and one tie, or four losses). 3b) That would ALSO surrender at least three points to Maine, who would have either 23 or 24. Fifth place is possible, but not likely; UConn can get some help here from fourth-place Providence if they beat Maine at least once. 1) UConn must win all remaining games. 2) Northeastern cannot gain any more than one point. 3) Notre Dame cannot gain any more than one point. 4) Maine can gain, at most, six points out of their remaining eight (they have to beat Northeastern twice, and can either tie twice or win once against Providence, to help UConn). 5) UVM cannot gain more than two points out of their remaining eight (against Merrimack and UML; Merrimack winning here doesn't hurt because as long as UConn sweeps their remainder, the Warriors cannot catch them). If only one of 2-5 above is false, UConn can take sixth (they'll either lose on a tiebreaker, or simply fall one or two points shy). Northeastern doing so is the best case for us, because as long as they beat Maine once, UConn will always finish higher than UMO. The worst case scenario for UConn winning all their remaining games is this: 1) Northeastern wins one game against BU, and loses both matches to Maine. 2) Notre Dame wins at least one game against BC or BU. 3) UVM gets three points against Merrimack and/or UVM. 4) Maine beats Providence twice. This leaves UConn ninth, with 22 points, and facing any of Northeastern, UVM, or Notre Dame on the road in the first round.

Strong work!

Reaction Score
Strong work!

Well except I made a goofup that's in the end irrelevant.

UConn does not lose a tiebreak with UML on head to head; the two teams are tied 1-1. They would lose the tiebreak on total conference wins; UML has ten and the most UConn can get is nine.

Reaction Score
While they struggle to score goals, to my eye, the D players are not up to the caliber of other hockey east teams. You may say I'm crazy given relatively low scoring games (other than Providence and Northeastern away games) but that is more about Nichols being phenomenal. Some of The blueline players may be big but they are not aggressive and have problems clearing people and the puck in front of the cage after Nichols' saves. They gave up 2 goals in each of the Maine and Providence games on third shot rebounds after Nichols saves that resulted in wins turning into ties. They are not aggressive along the wall deep in their defensive zone and generally seem to be slow to react. I don't know if it is a confidence issue or not, but as the season has progressed offensive flow seems to have gotten better but defense in our defensive zone has not.
You are dead on i just checked Huson was -12 for the weekend and Drake
While they struggle to score goals, to my eye, the D players are not up to the caliber of other hockey east teams. You may say I'm crazy given relatively low scoring games (other than Providence and Northeastern away games) but that is more about Nichols being phenomenal. Some of The blueline players may be big but they are not aggressive and have problems clearing people and the puck in front of the cage after Nichols' saves. They gave up 2 goals in each of the Maine and Providence games on third shot rebounds after Nichols saves that resulted in wins turning into ties. They are not aggressive along the wall deep in their defensive zone and generally seem to be slow to react. I don't know if it is a confidence issue or not, but as the season has progressed offensive flow seems to have gotten better but defense in our defensive zone has not.
UConn Nation cannot argue with your statement. This weekend against NU 6'5" Huson and 6'4" Drake were horrendous. Hopefully Uconn can get a few D1 defensemen in for next season ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom