UConn Home & Home w/ Northeastern ~ Feb 13/14 | The Boneyard

UConn Home & Home w/ Northeastern ~ Feb 13/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HUGE series this weekend...UCONN needs a split at worst.

Reaction Score
Biggest thing to keep in my mind coming down the stretch is UConn will have played one more conference game compared with all their nearest competitors in the standings until the last Saturday of the season.

Reaction Score
I'm going to the game on Saturday but it'll be my first hockey game at the XL center. Just wondering how crowded the UCONN games usually are? Is parking as bad as it is for basketball games?

Reaction Score
NU is playing excellent hockey right now, one loss since early December. There's a chance you might get their backup goalie one night as they try and space out Clay Witt's minutes down the stretch. He's vulnerable to a couple of derp games here and there, so get a couple of pucks by him early and you might be able to icebus the rest of the game and win.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn Boston Alumni pregame tonight is at the 5 Horses South, which is around the corner from Matthews. Hope to see some of you there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
KingOPancakes said:
I'm going to the game on Saturday but it'll be my first hockey game at the XL center. Just wondering how crowded the UCONN games usually are? Is parking as bad as it is for basketball games?

XL only uses the lower bowl for hockey. No issues with parking or anything else.

Reaction Score
Do not have a good feeling about this weekend. Feel as though UConn will need to score goals this weekend in order to have a chance.

Reaction Score
Lineup for tonight

Jesse Schwartz returns from shoulder injury. Replaces Evan Richardson.
B9woIHgIIAAapZH.png:large

Reaction Score
3-0. Another long night ahead. The different levels in talent is glaring. UConn is in desperate need of skilled offensive players.

Reaction Score
7-0, Northeastern winning, end of the second. Our team looks humiliated.

Reaction Score
Hey, there doing better than the baseball team who is losing 10-0.

Reaction Score
9-0 now, 7:44 left in the third. They are catching up to the baseball team.

Reaction Score
19-1 last two road games. Will not be bouncing back after this. Expect more of the same tomorrow.

Cavanaugh has to do something roster wise to bring in offensive talent for next year. I do not know what he can do but something has to done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
19-1 last two road games. Will not be bouncing back after this. Expect more of the same tomorrow.

Cavanaugh has to do something roster wise to bring in offensive talent for next year. I do not know what he can do but something has to done.
After a couple tough road games, what if a young, inexperienced team with minimal depth actually does bounce back? They've only outperformed all season, bounced back often, gained great experience, and positioned a very young roster for greater success as they mature in future seasons. Cavanaugh will work with the current and new players, but realistically what were you expecting?

Reaction Score

19-1

I was there. It was ugly.
HELLO, HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!You can't sit the whole team right but the coach has to do something? He should have the equipment manager immediately strip Tyson, Gerling and Kirtland letters off their UCONN jerseys. Its obvious by the performance of this team they are not getting the job done probably for many reasons which are obvious. Will this solve all the problems of course not but it will send a message to the team. Then when the season ends Cavanaugh is going to have to make decisions to take the hockey sticks away from Pauly,Kirtland,Huson,Ferris because by virtue of graduation hockey sticks of Tyson, Gerling, Sharib, Poe will definitely be taken away. Then hopefully the coaching staff will bring in another starting goalie who will compete with Nichols on a weekly basis for game time or at least spell him a few games during the year. Im confident this coaching staff will continue to bring in legit D1 players like they did this year who can compete in HE on a nightly basis during the whole season.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Naas and Gerling are our two most skilled, creative offensive playmakers. Gendron next year should help, but I agree that the difference between UCONN and most HE schools (right now) is a couple of offensive playmakers. But c'mon guys, if you told me before the season that the icebus would have a shot at a 1st round home game in our first season, I'd sign up for that immediately.

For the record, I think the team rallies tonight and gets the W. Will be a tough game and probably a small crowd because of the snow, but I think the guys respond. They followed the Providence debacle with one of their strongest efforts on the season against Merrimack this past Tuesday. Cavanaugh will make the proper repairs on the icebus and the guys will be ready to go.

Reaction Score

While they struggle to score goals, to my eye, the D players are not up to the caliber of other hockey east teams. You may say I'm crazy given relatively low scoring games (other than Providence and Northeastern away games) but that is more about Nichols being phenomenal. Some of The blueline players may be big but they are not aggressive and have problems clearing people and the puck in front of the cage after Nichols' saves. They gave up 2 goals in each of the Maine and Providence games on third shot rebounds after Nichols saves that resulted in wins turning into ties. They are not aggressive along the wall deep in their defensive zone and generally seem to be slow to react. I don't know if it is a confidence issue or not, but as the season has progressed offensive flow seems to have gotten better but defense in our defensive zone has not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom