UConn Hockey Update... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey Update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
But you aren't addressing my point. I agree, in an ideal world we have two new arenas. But, I don't see the support to get two done. Then what? A new 5,000 seat hockey arena at the expense of an upgraded on-campus arena, or a 12,500 seat arena on campus and we take a "rap" on hockey and thrive in bball.

Reaction Score
I guess I have a couple of thoughts. First, I think if we're goin got do this thing we can't cut corners. If we don't intend to do it right we should just have said, thanks but we're happy in the AHA. Second, I know Gampel needs some updating but totally replaced? It needs maintenance more than anything in my opinion. And really it is pretty much the right size at 10,100 seats more or less. That was just about our average home attendance last year including Civic Center games. In 2012 we averaged just over 12,000 including a few XL sellouts (ND, Marquette, Seton hall St Johns) and we were coming off a national championship. In 2011 we averaged 11,569 but that included a couple of XL sellouts, Syracuse, Georgetown and Tennessee, and a near sellout against Marquette. 2010 we averaged 11685. So it isn't like we "need" lots more seats. If we have a really great year, a 1999 type year where we are ranked #1 or two and lose 1-2 games, sure maybe. But I really think Gampel is quite sufficient. Really the same principal applies. 10000 in a 12500 seat arena or 10,000 in a 10000 seat arena? If the XL wasn't an option, where at least 50% of the "big games" get moved, maybe you go with 12500. But it is and UConn for political reasons as well as financial ones will continue to play there. If people aren't going to drive to Hartford to watch UConn-Vermont or something, and those kin doof games get 9-11000, will they drive to Storrs to see them? I'm not so sure they will.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If you could show me that Gampel could be modernized and a few seats added plus luxury suites that is fine. From my understanding though that is just not an option and a new building would be cheaper.

Reaction Score
If you could show me that Gampel could be modernized and a few seats added plus luxury suites that is fine. From my understanding though that is just not an option and a new building would be cheaper.
Would knocking down the cement walls and extending seats upward from there be an option? Perhaps find a way to connect the lower bowl seating over the tunnels? Also replacing the current seats and bleachers with new ones. Making Gampel into a dual BB/hockey facility would require knocking it down and starting over, the current footprint of the exterior structure is not big enough to accommodate a 200 foot long rink as well as seating.

Reaction Score
I would just build a new Hockey only facility adjacent to the existing Freitas, and renovate Gampel. As i said, it is about the right size. If you need more seats, play in Hartford, since we'll have to do that anyway. Remember. we're going to have a few more questionable opponents over the next few years. if things go as we hope they will, the Tulanes and Houstons and such of the world will be blow outs. And you don't build a facility for the 3 games a year that will be attractive. As far as luxury boxes, I've been sold all kinds of arguments about how all sorts of things help recuriting, gangsta uniforms, new logos, new practice facilities, but I refuse to believe that luxury boxes will result in one extra McDonalds AA arriving in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I hope they take a hard look at Rob Gagnon up at Cushing. He played at UNH and knows the Hockey East landscape. He has won 2 NE Prep School titles at 2 different schools (including beating his old AOF coach this season). He is very young and would lock down any and every CT recruit, of which there are surprisingly many more than the average fan realizes.

Reaction Score
I have heard, but not from anyone official that the finalist are Berard and Gwozdecky. Issues with Gwoz are money and long term commitment. I don't know if this is accurate or not. there is also a rumor that they have had discussions with another current head coach but again, I don't know who. UConn is in an interesting position in this coaching search. 2 years ago, when they looked to be in the AHA for the long term, it almost wouldn't have mattered who they hired. Berard would have been almost a shoe in even if he had flopped, which he clearly did not. But with Hockey East on the horizon, there is other interest. But unlike say BU or Ohio State, UConn has little hockey history on which to draw. I guess there are some, but not a huge number of alumni as top assistants or in the NHL. And even if there was a succession plan, and I have a sense there might have been had Bruce stayed a few more years, when HEA was announced, that went out the window. But my sense is that in a perfect world, they are looking for a younger guy with Hockey East experience and recruiting experience. Gwoz sort of is a wild card. If he wants the job, how do you say no to a 2 time national title coach with a string of winning seasons, and post season appearances? It would be like having Calhoun apply for your basketball job.

Reaction Score
I have heard, but not from anyone official that the finalist are Berard and Gwozdecky. Issues with Gwoz are money and long term commitment. I don't know if this is accurate or not. there is also a rumor that they have had discussions with another current head coach but again, I don't know who. UConn is in an interesting position in this coaching search. 2 years ago, when they looked to be in the AHA for the long term, it almost wouldn't have mattered who they hired. Berard would have been almost a shoe in even if he had flopped, which he clearly did not. But with Hockey East on the horizon, there is other interest. But unlike say BU or Ohio State, UConn has little hockey history on which to draw. I guess there are some, but not a huge number of alumni as top assistants or in the NHL. And even if there was a succession plan, and I have a sense there might have been had Bruce stayed a few more years, when HEA was announced, that went out the window. But my sense is that in a perfect world, they are looking for a younger guy with Hockey East experience and recruiting experience. Gwoz sort of is a wild card. If he wants the job, how do you say no to a 2 time national title coach with a string of winning seasons, and post season appearances? It would be like having Calhoun apply for your basketball job.

If accurate:

If it was only the money - pay Gwoz the money. I do get the long term commitment issue in a way - do you want to change over a coach after your first year (or two) in HE? Berard has some nice recruits on the hook and the team sounds like it would go through a wall for him. He meets the criteria (Hockey East exp and top recruiting exp as well as CCHA/USA Hockey experiance). Tough call.

Reaction Score
Unless Gwoz is really asking for too much, like $1 million a year, and/or he's only willing to commit to a short contract of 2-3 years, you have to pay him and hire him immediately. He is in his late 50's, so the long term deal may not be viable, but even if he gives the program 5-6 years, gets it on its feet in a big time league, adds immediate credibility, brings in solid assistants, they learn from him, and is able to get the program competitive by the time he decides to retire, that's a HUGE win for the program. Especially over a guy who has little head coaching experience, has no experience coaching or recruiting in a top league, nowhere near as many NHL contacts, nowhere near as many USA Hockey (recruiting side) contacts, there's simply no reason to hire Berard over Gwoz. Berard may be a good guy and liked by people in the program, but Gwoz is a can't-miss hire unless he's making ridiculous requests for his contract.

Reaction Score
Unless Gwoz is really asking for too much, like $1 million a year, and/or he's only willing to commit to a short contract of 2-3 years, you have to pay him and hire him immediately. He is in his late 50's, so the long term deal may not be viable, but even if he gives the program 5-6 years, gets it on its feet in a big time league, adds immediate credibility, brings in solid assistants, they learn from him, and is able to get the program competitive by the time he decides to retire, that's a HUGE win for the program. Especially over a guy who has little head coaching experience, has no experience coaching or recruiting in a top league, nowhere near as many NHL contacts, nowhere near as many USA Hockey (recruiting side) contacts, there's simply no reason to hire Berard over Gwoz. Berard may be a good guy and liked by people in the program, but Gwoz is a can't-miss hire unless he's making ridiculous requests for his contract.

You confused me - I agree that Berard has no head coaching but he does have significant experience coaching and recruiting experiance in a top league. Maybe not as much as Gwoz but not a noob either.

I'd be happy with 5-6 years. I think 2-3 is problematic.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I forgot about his time at PC, though that was also during a period where the PC program almost completely fell off the map. But, he still does not have any head coaching experience at the top league level, which when you put him up against a candidate like Gwoz, you have to consider.

I agree, if Gwoz is only committing to a 2-3 year deal, that's a question mark, and reason to look elsewhere, but if he's saying he'll sign a five year deal, and the price is reasonable, you have to sign him immediately.

Reaction Score
You confused me - I agree that Berard has no head coaching but he does have significant experience coaching and recruiting experiance in a top league. Maybe not as much as Gwoz but not a noob either.

I'd be happy with 5-6 years. I think 2-3 is problematic.
I agree. And I think Gwozdecky is 61, not late 50s but I'm not sure. to me a 5 year deal would be necessary if only because years 1 and 2 are almost irrelevant. next year UConn remains in the Atlantic. the following year they are in Hockey East but without a full complement of scholarships. So it really is year 3 before there is any kind of test. On the other hand, if you can go to 5 it is a very different set of conditions.

Reaction Score
I agree. And I think Gwozdecky is 61, not late 50s but I'm not sure. to me a 5 year deal would be necessary if only because years 1 and 2 are almost irrelevant. next year UConn remains in the Atlantic. the following year they are in Hockey East but without a full complement of scholarships. So it really is year 3 before there is any kind of test. On the other hand, if you can go to 5 it is a very different set of conditions.
I thought they had to be at 18 scholarships the first year of HE competition?

Reaction Score
I thought they had to be at 18 scholarships the first year of HE competition?
That is what I originally thought too but I've read several things that say they are phasing them in over 3 years beginning with 2013-14. That would bring them to 18 in 2015-16.

Reaction Score
This would be the single best decision Warde has made during his time here. Perhaps aside of Ollie's extension, but a blind fool could've figured that one out. Gwoz immediately makes UConn a serious player in the college hockey world and would shine a big spotlight on the program that is currently moving towards New Haven. I'd feel bad for Berard since he seemed to be the frontrunner, but this is a can't-miss option that fell into their lap, especially with Maine fumbling around their coaching search, and Ohio State hiring elsewhere.

Reaction Score
goalmouthradio 12:13pm via Web
UConn's Season Recap updated with quotes from UConn Athletic Director Warde Manuel. goalmouthradio.com/?p=203

"Manuel expects a four to five year commitment on the contract of the next head coach in order to build a winning program at UConn. . “In my mind you need, as we move forward, is somebody to come in with a commitment from us of about 4-5 years. It’s not something where I expect us to win the conference tournament the first year in hockey east. When you are building a program I need to know and whoever is selected as the coach needs to know that there is a long term commitment to them to build a program the right way,” Manuel explained."

Reaction Score
Noise is getting louder (but it may be just be the parrots in the jungle).

http://www.newenglandsportsjournal.com/2013/05/the-latest/gwozdecky-headed-to-uconn/

MikeMcMahonCHN 12:32pm via TweetDeck
Hiring Gwozdecky would bring instant credibility, which is something I've been told by several folks the AD wanted. "He wants a name."

ManthonyCourant 1:42pm via Web
David Berard and BC asst Mike Cavanaugh have interviewed for UConn hockey job. Other finalist is George Gwozdecky, who interviews today.

Reaction Score
Before BCU assistant Mike Cavanaugh potentially takes over for Jerry York, isn't Cavanaugh just looking for a transitional head coaching role. What's the likelihood of Cavanaugh fully committing to UConn for 4-5 years? Or, does Greg Brown, who failed in his pursuit of the Denver job, hold the lead in BCU's internal competition to eventually take the reins for York?

Beyond UConn, how likely is it for Berard to have many other head or assistant coaching opportunities at this point? Go 2 for 3. Hire Gwozdecky, and potentially keep Berard in his assistant role for continuity, more experience, and his own enhanced chances at another head or assistant coaching role after next season. Yes, Gwozdecky may prefer to hire his own man and Berard may not want to stick around. Just tossing it out there ...

Reaction Score
Before BCU assistant Mike Cavanaugh potentially takes over for Jerry York, isn't Cavanaugh just looking for a transitional head coaching role. What's the likelihood of Cavanaugh fully committing to UConn for 4-5 years? Or, does Greg Brown, who failed in his pursuit of the Denver job, hold the lead in BCU's internal competition to eventually take the reins for York?

Beyond UConn, how likely is it for Berard to have many other head or assistant coaching opportunities at this point? Go 2 for 3. Hire Gwozdecky, and potentially keep Berard in his assistant role for continuity, more experience, and his own enhanced chances at another head or assistant coaching role after next season. Yes, Gwozdecky may prefer to hire his own man and Berard may not want to stick around. Just tossing it out there ...
If Gwoz comes in, I seriously doubt any current coaches would stay on, he'd want his guys in there.

Some say Greg Brown is apparently the frontrunner for York's position after he leaves, but who knows. If Cav was going to go on to get a head coaching job in a transitional role before coming back to helm BC, chances are, he'd do that at the professional level in the AHL - more games to coach, better pro ties for future recruiting, overall better experience. That's what David Quinn did before coming back to BU this past year. Not saying Cav would do the same, but it makes more sense to get the head coaching experience at the pro level.

Reaction Score
Will Moran (@goalmouthradio)
6/2/13, 11:36 AM
Forward Joe Budnick has transferred from UConn to Western New England.Decision was made at the end of the season not due to coaching change.

WNEU plays in ECAC Northeast Conference --D3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69