UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with an expansion of Freitas, as long as they do it right. Give the hockey/soccer team a nice training facility that intersects the stadium/rink. Plus, put a big garage on top of the parking lot that currently sits there. It makes a lot of sense.

I love Warde supporting the students and advocating games at Freitas and Gampel.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-jacobs-column-0101-20151231-column.html

Mentions they're going to renovate Frietas instead of building a new arena. Damn shame IMO

>>Manuel: "We're going to look at what it takes to renovate Freitas [Ice Forum] and bring it up to Hockey East standards. I wouldn't say any projects have stalled. They are sort of in their natural phase of being developed. What's the cost? What are we going to do? By April, we should have a good sense of what it will take to renovate Freitas.<<

All depends on how they design it, what capacity they expand it to and what amenities are included... they just can't do it on the cheap.

Clearly fundraising is becoming a challenge across the board...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
>>Manuel: "We're going to look at what it takes to renovate Freitas [Ice Forum] and bring it up to Hockey East standards. I wouldn't say any projects have stalled. They are sort of in their natural phase of being developed. What's the cost? What are we going to do? By April, we should have a good sense of what it will take to renovate Freitas.<<

All depends on how they design it, what capacity they expand it to and what amenities are included... they just can't do it on the cheap.

It has to seat 4500 minimum...and they need to give both teams what they need facility wise (locker rooms, team lounges, workout area, sport medicine facilities..etc....) to be able to compete with HE schools.

Reaction Score

Two gifts totaling $10 million are scheduled to be announced soon per recent BOT minutes. Hopefully some $$ will be for athletics.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It has to seat 4500 minimum...and they need to give both teams what they need facility wise (locker rooms, team lounges, workout area, sport medicine facilities..etc....) to be able to compete with HE schools.
I know I could be wrong but considering where Frietas sits and what surrounds it, how will they be able to more than double its current capacity?

Reaction Score
I know I could be wrong but considering where Frietas sits and what surrounds it, how will they be able to more than double its current capacity?
That will be the million $ question....I still can't figure out how renovating Freitas and moving the football practice field off the top of the hill down next to Burton/Schenkman fits with the soccer stadium upgrade...unless the practice field goes on that tract of land that starts to the left of Burton Schenkman and runs south to South Eagleville Rd. To make things fit that's what's gonna have to happen.

Reaction Score
That will be the million $ question....I still can't figure out how renovating Freitas and moving the football practice field off the top of the hill down next to Burton/Schenkman fits with the soccer stadium upgrade...unless the practice field goes on that tract of land that starts to the left of Burton Schenkman and runs south to South Eagleville Rd. To make things fit that's what's gonna have to happen.

I was under the impression that the football practice field is going to stay on top of that hill.

Reaction Score
With final location, requirements, and design all seemingly in process, which specific facts support a perspective fundraising is becoming a challenge for UCONN's new arena let alone clearly becoming an across the board challenge? Noting UCONN raised the biggest $ in the school's history during the last few years, built a $40 million hoops facility, generated an $8 million soccer facility donation, reportedly recently obtained a couple pledges for about $10 million, etc., how has fundraising evolved or become a different or bigger challenge? Being stuck on the AAC island doesn't help for sports fundraising, but in general UCONN appears to finally be more proactive and consequently successful in raising funds for the university.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the football practice field is going to stay on top of that hill.
Last I heard they wanted it next to Burton/Schenkman so if it opened up they could move right inside without any issues...maybe things have changed since then.

Reaction Score
With final location, requirements, and design all seemingly in process, which specific facts support a perspective fundraising is becoming a challenge for UCONN's new arena let alone clearly becoming an across the board challenge?

I wasn't attempting to be critical about what they are doing in the grand scheme of things - just looking at my perceived reality.

I was referencing fundraising for current and future athletic projects - not specifically the arena and this statement by Warde in the same article points to the need to continue to raise funds in order to move things forward: "I'll lump soccer, baseball, softball together. We have designs and cost estimates on what those facilities will cost individually, and development of fundraising plans. Baseball has $1.5 million in commitment. That project has been on the books for a while. We're looking at how we'll develop that side of the campus. Soccer is longer down the road with the [$8 million] gift from Tony Rizza. So if anything breaks out first in terms of phases of the project it would be soccer."

They've been talking about baseball facilities improvements for years (have floated plans/designs) and have just come up w/ an interim plan to make the change to field turf after this season, nothing about the stands, or other needed enhancements for a program w/ the success they have had and need to have to compete. If the $$ were already raised/committed it would be moving faster or done already. They have been talking about the challenges to raise funds for a number of years.

I do imagine (but could be off base) that once the design and final cost for the renovation of Freitas come in there will be a need to develop plans to raise additional funds.

Noting UCONN raised the biggest $ in the school's history during the last few years, built a $40 million hoops facility, generated an $8 million soccer facility donation, reportedly recently obtained a couple pledges for about $10 million, etc., how has fundraising evolved or become a different or bigger challenge? Being stuck on the AAC island doesn't help for sports fundraising, but in general UCONN appears to finally be more proactive and consequently successful in raising funds for the university.

I agree that in general they have improved fundraising by leaps and bounds. They did a great job w/ raising the money for the Werth Family Basketball Champions Center - but there is also a larger source/base of potential donors/supporters for MBB/WBB than for MHOC/WHOC, baseball, softball, etc... Manuel has mentioned previously that these need to be 100% privately funded and that's where I specifically see athletic facility fundraising becoming a challenge moving forward. Even the significant Rizzo donation/pledge is only half of what they need for the soccer facility. As you point out, it has to be harder based on conference affiliation to generate new sources of private donations earmarked specifically for athletics (outside of scholarships).

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Just looking at it on Google maps it looks like you could build a new soccer stadium at the football practice fields and have room for soccer facilities there. Football could have the old Marrone Stadium space and the field next to it as their outdoor practice fields. Expanding Freitas doesn't look at that efficient to me, as you'd have to take out the walls and raise the roof, plus add improvements to bring it up to HE standards, but it's doable.

Reaction Score
Just looking at it on Google maps it looks like you could build a new soccer stadium at the football practice fields and have room for soccer facilities there. Football could have the old Marrone Stadium space and the field next to it as their outdoor practice fields. Expanding Freitas doesn't look at that efficient to me, as you'd have to take out the walls and raise the roof, plus add improvements to bring it up to HE standards, but it's doable.

When the big Tony Rizza soccer donation came through, I believe it was announced that the new soccer facility would stay where it is, where Morrone Stadium is. However, it seems to me that if Freitas is indeed upgraded, the area taken up by that facility will most certainly expand. Where to? Out into the current parking lot?

Reaction Score
When the big Tony Rizza soccer donation came through, I believe it was announced that the new soccer facility would stay where it is, where Morrone Stadium is. However, it seems to me that if Freitas is indeed upgraded, the area taken up by that facility will most certainly expand. Where to? Out into the current parking lot?
It can go to the right (if you are facing Freitas from the parking lot). The tract of land I mentioned earlier runs from the parking garage/Burton-Schenkman out to North Eagleville Rd widening as it goes. All things considered it may not be such a bad idea to move the football practice field into that area and leave the spot on top of the hill for a future dorm location...it's a natural expansion spot for Hillside complex. As for "expanding Freitas...almost has to be a complete rebuild....to fit the 4500 seats and team facilities they are either going to have to go up and out or do what they did at Yale and put the team facilities underneath the ice surface. It's safe to say that they will share weight room and sports medicine facilities like the basketball teams do at their facility.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-jacobs-column-0101-20151231-column.html

Mentions they're going to renovate Frietas instead of building a new arena. Damn shame IMO

Argh. This smells like the football stadium debate from the 1990's. Mansield locals who don't want the arena at the corner of Rte 195 and S Eagleville are working with Hartford politicians who need UConn's support to get the money and support for a renovated/replacement XL. I just can't see how Freitas can be expanded where it is today to +4,500 economically because the north side of the arena is up against Morrone Stadium and there does not seem to be space there to build stands and/or support facilities. Unless the updated arena would be very odd shaped with everything on the south side, the actual rink and refrigeration equipment would have to be moved. Can't picture how that would be cheaper than starting from scratch at a different location.

Does Rizza's donation require the soccer stadium to be re-built where it is today? I hope not. It just makes to much sense for the football practice facilities to be moved next to Burton. Build the new soccer stadium (hopefully soccer/lacrosse stadium) where D lot is today (the hillside there may make it cheaper to build stands, too) with lockers and facilities right next to Alumni drive and then have two full practice facilities on top where the football fields are today. Expand I parking lot to make-up for the loss of D. That just leaves the need to find space for new Rec turf field that is currently tagged to to into D lot.

Reaction Score
Argh. This smells like the football stadium debate from the 1990's. Mansield locals who don't want the arena at the corner of Rte 195 and S Eagleville are working with Hartford politicians who need UConn's support to get the money and support for a renovated/replacement XL. I just can't see how Freitas can be expanded where it is today to +4,500 economically because the north side of the arena is up against Morrone Stadium and there does not seem to be space there to build stands and/or support facilities. Unless the updated arena would be very odd shaped with everything on the south side, the actual rink and refrigeration equipment would have to be moved. Can't picture how that would be cheaper than starting from scratch at a different location.

Does Rizza's donation require the soccer stadium to be re-built where it is today? I hope not. It just makes to much sense for the football practice facilities to be moved next to Burton. Build the new soccer stadium (hopefully soccer/lacrosse stadium) where D lot is today (the hillside there may make it cheaper to build stands, too) with lockers and facilities right next to Alumni drive and then have two full practice facilities on top where the football fields are today. Expand I parking lot to make-up for the loss of D. That just leaves the need to find space for new Rec turf field that is currently tagged to to into D lot.
IMHO you will see some maneuvering with the tract of land I mentioned earlier. Supposedly that was meant to be a buffer from campus to South Eagleville Rd..but UCONN can really build what it wants there without having to get any approvals from the town..similar to what they did dorm wise during UCONN 2000. So that leaves some flexibility where Freitas, Morrone Stadium, and Burton/Schenkman are. As far as I know Rizza made the donation with the terms that the soccer facility is kept where it is. The football practice field would also make a GREAT site for a lacrosse facility.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Bumping this. I have not heard a thing on this in months. Aren't we almost at our 3 year period where there needs to be an on-campus option.

Cannot see how they'd dance around this?

Reaction Score
Bumping this. I have not heard a thing on this in months. Aren't we almost at our 3 year period where there needs to be an on-campus option.

There is no dancing. The simple fact is that there is no money available to build a new hockey arena at this time.

Reaction Score

They have to start project by 2019...have to have plans by the spring semester of this school year. There is still time to decide...IMHO you will somehow see a Freitas upgrade with capacity of 4500-5000.

Reaction Score
They have to start project by 2019...have to have plans by the spring semester of this school year. There is still time to decide...IMHO you will somehow see a Freitas upgrade with capacity of 4500-5000.

With the success of the XL Center I don't see this project being a priority in a state budget crunch. There are no deadlines. Hockey East is content with the XL Center. Freitas is great as a practice rink. Hopefully someday it's improved and looks less cheap.

Reaction Score
With the success of the XL Center I don't see this project being a priority in a state budget crunch. There are no deadlines. Hockey East is content with the XL Center. Freitas is great as a practice rink. Hopefully someday it's improved and looks less cheap.
Click on this link Nos put up on the football board and fast forward to 36:02....That will give you an idea on where HE stands about playing on-campus.
Go here and fast forward to 36:02:
http://download.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/dC/d8/dU/dO/1C8UO_3.MP3?show=Joe+D+and+Gresh&category=Sports+&+Recreation&callsign=WTICAM&market=Connecticut&awCollectionId=1294&awEpisodeId=657998
and listen VERY closely to what Benedict says about HE and having a on-campus arena to play hockey in...if you still think that HE is happy with the XL situation and will allow UConn to not have to play on campus then you need to re-listen to whats he says again. The new facility will be paid for with donations...just like soccer, softball and baseball.

Reaction Score
Go here and listen VERY closely to what Benedict says about HE and having a on-campus arena to play hockey in...if you still think that HE is happy with the XL situation and will allow UConn to not have to play on campus then you need to re-listen to whats he says again. The new facility will be paid for with donations...just like soccer, softball and baseball.

I think you're just hearing what you want to hear. All parties are extremely content with the XL Center. If the Wolf Pack leave, they'll be even happier. The success of UConn hockey at the XL Center is too big to throw away at this point and UConn and Hockey East both recognize that.

Reaction Score
I think you're just hearing what you want to hear. All parties are extremely content with the XL Center. If the Wolf Pack leave, they'll be even happier. The success of UConn hockey at the XL Center is too big to throw away at this point and UConn and Hockey East both recognize that.
You know what you can think what you want...Benedict made it VERY clear in that piece how much playing on campus is important. I see your new here so enjoy the forum...and have a nice day. Another post from a drum beating "UConn Sports need to save Hartford" fan.

Reaction Score
It's important is a way to say it's something we want but it's not something we're actually doing. In a perfect world there would be a beautiful hockey arena in Storrs but there is no impetus for it at the moment and everyone else recognizes that but you. Stop being irate about reality.

Reaction Score
It's important is a way to say it's something we want but it's not something we're actually doing. In a perfect world there would be a beautiful hockey arena in Storrs but there is no impetus for it at the moment and everyone else recognizes that but you. Stop being irate about reality.
I'm not irate about reality...I get irate when UConn fans like yourself think that because it's UConn that ANY terms of joining a conference can be violated at any time because what is temporary works. Since you may live in a bubble here in CT I will clue you in...go over to the USCHO forum and chime in about your views on Conn's on-campus situation and see where you get. UConn agreed to a deal when they accepted entrance into HE. That deal is to have a on-campus arena of a minimum size of 4500 by the start of the 2019 season. Besides I'm sure you will be one of the first off the bandwagon when Cav can't recruit the kids he needs to compete for a HE championship and the program ends up being like UMass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom