UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to agree with those wanting a first class on campus facility. I don't agree with a schedule exclusively at Storrs, especially if the success the team is having in Hartford continues and even improves in terms of attendance. My reasons are as follows:
  1. Even if we stay in this conference AAC, our situation in HE for hockey is an unbelievably great situation. Proximity to our opponents, superior competition to any other league, great local and regional talent pool and ability to recruit out of area nationally and internationally due to the prestige of the league. We can't let this gem we've been given not be developed properly and displayed as a crown jewel. I know hockey is not basketball or football in terms of importance, but in terms of a program that can succeed on it's own merits here in New England it is perfect for us. The HE invite is similar to the Big East invite for basketball years ago.
  2. I can't see us succeeding in HE if we only build a suitable practice facility in Storrs. It might work for awhile but if Cav has to try to make this work without any guarantees he probably won't stick around as others have indicated. After the dramatic progress he has fostered, I can't think of how horrible it would be for him to be looking to get out. It should be a situation where he consciously wants to stay and wants to build this team into a powerhouse. With the assurances he had before of proper support and facilities, he was sure he could do that job.
  3. Whatever else happens, we need to build a proper facility on campus. Then work out the schedule and games split with Hartford if the financial pieces work. If it doesn't, play on campus if attendance is good.
This is an excellent post, spot on.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the property lines around Freitas? Maybe build a hockey complex to the East or to the South of the existing rink and expand the parking lot?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the property lines around Freitas? Maybe build a hockey complex to the East or to the South of the existing rink and expand the parking lot?

Not 100% sure, but if they're replacing morrone and building a new morrone in the same location, they should just re-do Freitas at the same time. Have it both be done by the same crew. You could save money on engineering costs, prep costs, construction costs etc. have them share the ticket office or concessions, etc.

There's no point in paying an entire engineering, construction, site prep, possible demolition, remediation crews twice. I know parking garages are expensive, but maybe build one on or near X lot so it can be shared for hockey, soccer, baseball, and softball once their new stadia are built. It could also be used if they expand gampel etc.

Get the hockey and soccer both done at the same time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you look at the boundary map they have show on the master plan the wooded tract that runs from Burton/Schenkman and the parking garage due south behind McMahon Hall all the way to South Eagleville Rd is school property.

Reaction Score
If you look at the boundary map they have show on the master plan the wooded tract that runs from Burton/Schenkman and the parking garage due south behind McMahon Hall all the way to South Eagleville Rd is school property.
Not 100% sure, but if they're replacing morrone and building a new morrone in the same location, they should just re-do Freitas at the same time. Have it both be done by the same crew. You could save money on engineering costs, prep costs, construction costs etc. have them share the ticket office or concessions, etc.

There's no point in paying an entire engineering, construction, site prep, possible demolition, remediation crews twice. I know parking garages are expensive, but maybe build one on or near X lot so it can be shared for hockey, soccer, baseball, and softball once their new stadia are built. It could also be used if they expand gampel etc.

Get the hockey and soccer both done at the same time.

I found an assessors map for Mansfield, I agree with trying to save money by a joint project (for lack of a better term) between the soccer stadium and hockey arena projects. I was thinking that there appears to be plenty of room for a Husky Hockey Complex in the wooded area by the parking lot. I don't believe there are any wetland concerns and you wouldn't be cramming the soccer stadium renovations next to an expanded Freitas. Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
The devil inside says there is a nice piece of land at the NW corner of South Eagleville and Route 195 that would be perfect for the new arena, all UConn has to do is to tear down Mansfield Town Hall, which is not being used anyway :cool:

Reaction Score
There's so much room back there, and I can't imagine Freitas and Morrone, as they stand now, go right up to UConn's property lines. There's MORE than enough room back there to rebuild the soccer complex, put a hockey arena and practice facility in, and replace the existing parking lot back there with a multi-level garage. I can't see space being a hurdle to this, it's 99% politics.

Reaction Score
The devil inside says there is a nice piece of land at the NW corner of South Eagleville and Route 195 that would be perfect for the new arena, all UConn has to do is to tear down Mansfield Town Hall, which is not being used anyway :cool:

Across the street would be a great spot too!

Reaction Score
There's so much room back there, and I can't imagine Freitas and Morrone, as they stand now, go right up to UConn's property lines. There's MORE than enough room back there to rebuild the soccer complex, put a hockey arena and practice facility in, and replace the existing parking lot back there with a multi-level garage. I can't see space being a hurdle to this, it's 99% politics.

There's a multi-story parking garage next to Ingalls Arena.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

I believe wetlands are in play. It's not all politics, but it's a lot of politics.

Reaction Score
I believe wetlands are in play. It's not all politics, but it's a lot of politics.

With the road changes around campus, primarily Hillside, the primary way visitors will take to a new ice rink should it be where Freitas is the back way from Sepratist Road. That road can't handle 4,000 fans driving in and I am sure Mansfield will bring that up. Mansfield should have agreed to the original site at the SW corner of S Eagleville & Route 195 or right behind Storrs Center across the street from the new parking garage built there.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
And they also state that they have until 2019 to expand to 4,000. So we may not see work started for a few years while they confirm that the XL Center attendance maintains its high mark.

Yup. I read something somewhere that they might combine the soccer and hockey expansion into one combined project to cut down on costs. That would be beneficial to save some money for upcoming Gampel and Renschler Field expansions and allow the state to thoroughly renovate XL (or build something new).

Reaction Score
Looks more and more like a Freitas expansion will be the route taken...

http://dailycampus.com/stories/2015/11/11/uconn-athletics-pushes-expansion-of-on-campus-hockey-rink

Looking at things comprehensively, is a good. But, I don’t know how Freitas can be expanded and for the soccer stadium to be expanded in the same place that they are today as its about 7 feet (Google maps) between the two.

Also, not thrilled with this comment from Mansfield. With S Eagleville Road and Rte 195, that intersection is perfect for a ‘major’ development to complement the Storrs Commons across the street.

“Mansfield’s Director of Planning and Zoning Linda Painter said the Freitas Ice Forum was one of the locations put forward in the town’s plan of conservation and development as an alternative location for the rink. Painter said residents were concerned about the impact of construction on the Albert E. Moss Sanctuary behind Mansfield Apartments as well traffic from increased game attendance.

“I think all of those things have to be weighed and balanced,” Painter said. “There are definitely some that would prefer not to see that traffic out there.”

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Definitely going to need a parking garage back there then. This is good because the parking garage can also be used for baseball/softball/soccer in addition to hockey. Sell the current Frietas lot as a "blue lot" type pass and make $$ off of it. Make legit concessions in a new Frietas (Gampel's "concessions" are a joke) and maybe even consider widening Jim Calhoun way OR making it one way only on game day's to use both lanes for better traffic flow. Instead of making everyone drive through the center of campus to get to the games, encourage people to enter from the back on Separatist Road. There's actually a lot of potential to have a great barn back there but the plan must be executed correctly.

Also for the sake of continuity the outside of the building should reflect what the renovated baseball stadium will look like.

Reaction Score
A clearer picture of what's necessary to build a HE facility? How do they not know this already? It's not hard to find out.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Looking at things comprehensively, is a good. But, I don’t know how Freitas can be expanded and for the soccer stadium to be expanded in the same place that they are today as its about 7 feet (Google maps) between the two.

Also, not thrilled with this comment from Mansfield. With S Eagleville Road and Rte 195, that intersection is perfect for a ‘major’ development to complement the Storrs Commons across the street.

“Mansfield’s Director of Planning and Zoning Linda Painter said the Freitas Ice Forum was one of the locations put forward in the town’s plan of conservation and development as an alternative location for the rink. Painter said residents were concerned about the impact of construction on the Albert E. Moss Sanctuary behind Mansfield Apartments as well traffic from increased game attendance.

“I think all of those things have to be weighed and balanced,” Painter said. “There are definitely some that would prefer not to see that traffic out there.”

The people's republic of Mansfield strikes again. You would think the benefits of keeping most traffic to 195, 275, and 32 would outweigh concern about anything else. But no.

Reaction Score
http://www.crdact.net/data/Unsorted/11-6-2015-DRAFT_VenueCmte-Minutes-73286-1.pdf

1. "UConn: The XL Center short term lease has been signed and is now awaiting approval from the Attorney General’s office. One issue remains on the letter of intent for a long-term deal in the building -- CRDA and UConn are still working to resolve the question of how the direct sale of premium seating by the XL Center will affect the University’s donor points system. Stafford Sports is assisting CRDA with those discussions. Per the Governor’s request, the LOI should be wrapped up by the start of the 2016 legislative session.
  2. SCI and Northland – CRDA staff are reviewing SCI Architects’ cost estimates for transforming the XL Center. Hard construction costs are estimated at $230 million, but this does not include soft costs or acquisition of additional space needed for the renovation.

The additional space has been identified and an appraiser is currently working to estimate its value in anticipation of discussions with Northland. Mr. Freimuth indicated that he has shared the taking plans with Northland and is awaiting a response.

The Committee anticipates approaching the General Assembly in early 2016 in order to request the funds necessary for space acquisition, as well as for development of construction design documents".
    1. "UConn Hockey and Wolfpack Updates – Mr. Lawrence reported that after three games, UConn hockey attendance is down about 750 people per game. He noted, however, that it is still early in season and one of the three games conflicted with a UConn basketball event in Storrs.

Mr. Freimuth reported that he is expecting a letter from MSG any day now confirming the Wolfpack’s intention to remain at XL for Year 4 and possibly Year 5 of their contract. The team seems happy with the venue and its management, as well as with Hartford in general".

1. "UConn Football Update – Mr. Lawrence reported that with one game left in the season, attendance numbers remain a serious concern and are expected to hurt the Stadium financially. A discussion followed as to whether UConn was doing all it could to promote the games and what steps Board members might take to help.
    2. Minor League Football Update - Mr. Freimuth reported that Chairman Bessette, Mr. Jorgensen, Mr. Lawrence and CRDA staff met with officials from the MLF to discuss the possibility of bringing a team to Pratt & Whitney Stadium in the Spring. The League seems very interested in this market and Spectra has provided them with expense estimates for playing in the building".

Reaction Score
Thankfully that wasn't a direct quote.
No, a paraphrase, but that's the thrust of the comment that Warde made - which is ridiculous. If they haven't done their due diligence and research since announcing the move to HE more than three years ago, it's plainly obvious they have no serious intentions of playing on campus.

Reaction Score
No, a paraphrase, but that's the thrust of the comment that Warde made - which is ridiculous. If they haven't done their due diligence and research since announcing the move to HE more than three years ago, it's plainly obvious they have no serious intentions of playing on campus.

How do you know that's the trust of the comment he made? Is there another media source that reports it that way? I haven't seen it. I read it more as a development/site location issue more than a "we don't know what is acceptable to HE" issue.

He (they) know damn well what is required and what makes a quality facility. He was involved in Yost renovations @ UM.

Weak reporting and I could be wrong ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
http://www.crdact.net/data/Unsorted/11-6-2015-DRAFT_VenueCmte-Minutes-73286-1.pdf

1. "UConn: The XL Center short term lease has been signed and is now awaiting approval from the Attorney General’s office. One issue remains on the letter of intent for a long-term deal in the building -- CRDA and UConn are still working to resolve the question of how the direct sale of premium seating by the XL Center will affect the University’s donor points system. Stafford Sports is assisting CRDA with those discussions. Per the Governor’s request, the LOI should be wrapped up by the start of the 2016 legislative session.
  2. SCI and Northland – CRDA staff are reviewing SCI Architects’ cost estimates for transforming the XL Center. Hard construction costs are estimated at $230 million, but this does not include soft costs or acquisition of additional space needed for the renovation.

The additional space has been identified and an appraiser is currently working to estimate its value in anticipation of discussions with Northland. Mr. Freimuth indicated that he has shared the taking plans with Northland and is awaiting a response.

The Committee anticipates approaching the General Assembly in early 2016 in order to request the funds necessary for space acquisition, as well as for development of construction design documents".
    1. "UConn Hockey and Wolfpack Updates – Mr. Lawrence reported that after three games, UConn hockey attendance is down about 750 people per game. He noted, however, that it is still early in season and one of the three games conflicted with a UConn basketball event in Storrs.

Mr. Freimuth reported that he is expecting a letter from MSG any day now confirming the Wolfpack’s intention to remain at XL for Year 4 and possibly Year 5 of their contract. The team seems happy with the venue and its management, as well as with Hartford in general".
    1. "UConn Football Update – Mr. Lawrence reported that with one game left in the season, attendance numbers remain a serious concern and are expected to hurt the Stadium financially. A discussion followed as to whether UConn was doing all it could to promote the games and what steps Board members might take to help.
    2. Minor League Football Update - Mr. Freimuth reported that Chairman Bessette, Mr. Jorgensen, Mr. Lawrence and CRDA staff met with officials from the MLF to discuss the possibility of bringing a team to Pratt & Whitney Stadium in the Spring. The League seems very interested in this market and Spectra has provided them with expense estimates for playing in the building". [/QUOTE]
  3. A couple of concerns. First the Woolfpack may only commit to 4 to 5 years at the XL, which happens to the the time frame for the old Nassau Coliseum renovation to be completed. Rumor has it that the Islands will look to move their franchise from Bridgeport to Long Island to tap their 'core' fan base, which, in turn, may allow the Rangers to move their AHL team to Bridgeport. Second, football was a mess for several seasons. Unless a B1G invite is around the corner, it is going to take a while to draw the fans back to the Rent. Short-term thinking is not going to help the long-term growth of the football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom