UConn Hockey Classic Undergoes Big Changes | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey Classic Undergoes Big Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The tournament has been taken over by Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport. The tournament will be held December 27 and 28 in Bridgeport and the name will be changed. Tim Taylor Cup looks like the favorite as the new name. The teams for next year will be UConn, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, and Frozen Four participant Union. In addition, it looks like Yale is a definite possibility in the future as they are talking to Webster Bank Arena and looking at it as part of future schedules.

In addition, Quinnipiac will host UConn as a regular season home game.

Thirdly, the Liberty Invitational involving Yale, UConn, Merrimack, and Princeton next season will begin October 31. The first two games are UConn vs. Merrimack and Yale vs. Princeton. The winners will play each other and the losers will play each other the following day, November 1. In all likelihood, these will be the first two games of the season.

http://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tim Taylor Cup looks like the favorite as the new name.
timtaylor.jpg

Sponsored by Binford??

Reaction Score
"Tim Taylor Cup" is a perfect name. Either that, or the Nutmeg Cup.

Reaction Score
I think it's a mistake to name it after someone associated with one school - especially one that isn't even in the first tournament and may or may not be in the future. Tim Taylor was apparently a fine man (although an over-rated coach in my opinion), but his legacy is at Yale. Such a move would be equivalent to naming the Beanpot "The Snooks Kelley Cup." They should stick with Nutmeg or Charter Oak themes.

Reaction Score
Yale is the oldest hockey program in the US, TT was a coach for the US hockey team. Paying a tribute to a man who helped revive college hockey in CT cannot hurt.

Reaction Score
Yale is the oldest hockey program in the US, TT was a coach for the US hockey team. Paying a tribute to a man who helped revive college hockey in CT cannot hurt.

Well, you could look at it that way, but Yale hockey under Taylor didn't have much of a revival. In 28 years he had a solidly losing record (.445 winning percentage with 90 more losses than wins) with just one ECAC regular season title, no ECAC tournament titles and one NCAA appearance. It was mediocrity at best.

Since replacing Taylor 8 years ago, Keith Allain has won two regular season titles, two ECAC tournament titles and produced 4 NCAA tournament appearances - including last year's national title.

Reaction Score
UConn Men's Hockey‏@UConnMHOC4m
Frozen Holiday Classic announcement at @Webster_Arena #UConn Sacred Heart Quinnipiac and new National Champ Union pic.twitter.com/Ed4nj4ZcDs

UConnMHOC 11:33am via Twitter for iPhone
In 2014, Dec 27 and 28 at @Webster_Arena....

UConnMHOC 11:43am via Twitter for iPhone
And in 2015, the tournament will become an all CT affair as Yale will join the field

Happy medium...
UConnMHOC 11:42am via Twitter for iPhone
Howard Saffan announces that tournament MVP will be awarded the Tim Taylor MVP trophy

edit add: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/041414aaa.html?callback=1

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Connecticut Beanpot?"

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Arena-will-host-college-hockey-tourney-5401132.php

Really excited to see this happen and Bridgeport is a great location with highway access and multiple routes in. This will be very competitive hockey and a showcase for the state teams. Marketing to HS and Youth programs and getting these games on HDTV should be a goal for this tourney which will pay benefits down the road. I wouldn't count out any of the four local teams in the coming years either. Both SHU and UConn should be making big strides in the short term and it's great to have Union until Yale steps in year 2. I think college hockey will be paying attention to this tournament before long. Be there!

Reaction Score
Frozen Hockey Classic? What a generic and lame name.

Reaction Score
I just love the idea of UConn men's hockey playing a couple games in Bridgeport during the Christmas break. The tournament is a great tool for this.

Reaction Score
I just love the idea of UConn men's hockey playing a couple games in Bridgeport during the Christmas break. The tournament is a great tool for this.
Watch this clip of Cav from Frozen Classic Presser...sounds like we will see UCONN Hockey playing at Harbor Yards a few times per year in addition to the tournament:

Reaction Score
Let me say first that I think this is a great idea. But personally I'm a little disappointed. I used to like to go up to the holiday tournament at UConn and take the opportunity to wander around the campus. See what changes had been made and so on. With football playing off campus, basketball playing games off campus, and now hockey, it will be tough er to get up there and roam around. I'm really looking forward to this event growing and becoming part f the Connecticut annual sports scene, though.

Reaction Score
Let me say first that I think this is a great idea. But personally I'm a little disappointed. I used to like to go up to the holiday tournament at UConn and take the opportunity to wander around the campus. See what changes had been made and so on. With football playing off campus, basketball playing games off campus, and now hockey, it will be tough er to get up there and roam around. I'm really looking forward to this event growing and becoming part f the Connecticut annual sports scene, though.
In a few years a majority of the games will be on campus (new barn/facility) with the Frozen Hockey Classic and a few games at Harbor Yards and a few games at the XL Center.

Reaction Score
It's a name just waiting for a title sponsor. Which is sorta the idea, methinks.
Webster Bank is the sponsor now...one of the reasons it ended up at Harbor Yards

Reaction Score
Webster Bank is the sponsor now...one of the reasons it ended up at Harbor Yards

Don't confuse who owns the naming rights to the *arena* with who has the naming rights for the *tournament* (or who has ownership of the tournament itself)

Webster Bank has the former, but not the latter. If they had the latter, they'd have already called it the "Webster Bank Classic" or what have you.

Presumably UConn has given over the "ownership" of the tournament to the ownership of WBA in exchange for a permanent or semi-permanent place in it.

Reaction Score
In the past this tournament has had a few title sponsors. Most recently it was Toyota. I think there was another, maybe a bank before that. So being the Swanson Frozen Dinner Tournament wouldn't be anything too unusual.

Reaction Score
Don't confuse who owns the naming rights to the *arena* with who has the naming rights for the *tournament* (or who has ownership of the tournament itself)

Webster Bank has the former, but not the latter. If they had the latter, they'd have already called it the "Webster Bank Classic" or what have you.

Presumably UConn has given over the "ownership" of the tournament to the ownership of WBA in exchange for a permanent or semi-permanent place in it.
I mis-understood who UCONN turned the tournament over to. Thanks for clarifying, I can't wait to see how this turns out attendance wise...my opinion it is going to sell VERY well.

Reaction Score
In a few years a majority of the games will be on campus (new barn/facility) with the Frozen Hockey Classic and a few games at Harbor Yards and a few games at the XL Center.

That's what I would expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69