UConn Hockey 2012-13 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
goalmouthradio 4:47pm via Web
A few coaching candidates for UConn: Rick Bennett (Union), Glenn Stewart (Merrimack) .
Either of these guys would be nice gets for UConn. Union has really taken a step forward as a program over the past few years, as has Merrimack. Dennehy (MC's head coach) won't come to UConn as it's rumored he's waiting for Jerry York to retire at BC (he's a BC grad), but getting their associate who's been a part of taking that program from being among the worst in the nation to a HE contender would be a good thing for UConn.

Reaction Score
Either of these guys would be nice gets for UConn. Union has really taken a step forward as a program over the past few years, as has Merrimack. Dennehy (MC's head coach) won't come to UConn as it's rumored he's waiting for Jerry York to retire at BC (he's a BC grad), but getting their associate who's been a part of taking that program from being among the worst in the nation to a HE contender would be a good thing for UConn.
I really hope Union beats BC.

Reaction Score
So just to answer your question HUSKYDOGART, the last time BC beat UCONN in Basketball was shockingly, the last time they played...1/5/2005

Reaction Score
You're right, a hot goalie can win a game, and I'm not saying UConn won't ever beat BC for the first five years in the league or something, it's just that this isn't basketball or football where we can expect to match or pass their program's level in 5-10 years. Hockey is the one sport where they are a legitimate and full-fledged powerhouse.

It wouldn't shock me to see UConn on the schedule of a lot of current HE teams since they're only playing a 20 game conference schedule next season, two against each of the other 10 teams. Many schools have already scheduled other HE teams as OOC games. I've seen a look at BU's tentative schedule, and I don't believe UConn is on it, but it wouldn't shock me as an addition, I know we've got Maine at Fenway as an OOC game.

Trouble is, I'm not sure UConn has the dates they can use to fill with HEA teams, not with what I perceive to be games owed to various teams to fulfill existing contracts. We've got 7 slots, one of which is devoted to the UConn Classic (and will be against either Quinnipiac or UMass-Amherst).

Reading the tea leaves, I see potentially owing Brown one game at Meehan, and Minnesota State two, due to this past season's Classic (and I wouldn't be shocked if we paid up all three this year). Union I believe we also owe an away date, as they visited this year. Quinny and Amherst from this year I reckon are covered by the fact that they are appearing in next year's Classic. Penn State I do not imagine we owe games to, at least not yet, in spite of the two they played here this year. Merrimack...I do not know what kind of deal with the devil we signed with them to give them four straight years playing in their barn, but I have to imagine they owe us at least one in Storrs by now. We might be owed a trip by Yale as well. Lowell, I am entirely unsure about, because while they played 2 games in the UConn Classic, we've visited them for one as well that same year; I can't tell whether that means we owe them a trip (the fact that it was scheduled for a week when Tsongas was unavailable and played in a public skating rink in Nashua leads me to believe it was a last-second schedule fix for both teams) or not though. Dartmouth and Maine I reckon were true one-offs. Colgate, Union and Providence will be playing in the 2014-15 Classic, which I would say makes it possible one or more will be getting away dates from us in 13-14.

Point being: I think UConn may already be full up on non-cons for 2013-14. 2014-15 might be a different story.

Reaction Score
Good point, I forgot they've still got the full AHA slate, which doesn't leave much room for OOC.

Reaction Score
Trouble is, I'm not sure UConn has the dates they can use to fill with HEA teams, not with what I perceive to be games owed to various teams to fulfill existing contracts. We've got 7 slots, one of which is devoted to the UConn Classic (and will be against either Quinnipiac or UMass-Amherst).

Reading the tea leaves, I see potentially owing Brown one game at Meehan, and Minnesota State two, due to this past season's Classic (and I wouldn't be shocked if we paid up all three this year). Union I believe we also owe an away date, as they visited this year. Quinny and Amherst from this year I reckon are covered by the fact that they are appearing in next year's Classic. Penn State I do not imagine we owe games to, at least not yet, in spite of the two they played here this year. Merrimack...I do not know what kind of deal with the devil we signed with them to give them four straight years playing in their barn, but I have to imagine they owe us at least one in Storrs by now. We might be owed a trip by Yale as well. Lowell, I am entirely unsure about, because while they played 2 games in the UConn Classic, we've visited them for one as well that same year; I can't tell whether that means we owe them a trip (the fact that it was scheduled for a week when Tsongas was unavailable and played in a public skating rink in Nashua leads me to believe it was a last-second schedule fix for both teams) or not though. Dartmouth and Maine I reckon were true one-offs. Colgate, Union and Providence will be playing in the 2014-15 Classic, which I would say makes it possible one or more will be getting away dates from us in 13-14.

Point being: I think UConn may already be full up on non-cons for 2013-14. 2014-15 might be a different story.
Its possible we owe some people games but I'm not so sure that the Merrimack and Union deals are done. I think we've played Union on a pretty regular basis, mostly at Union, so it is at least possible that Union was payback for some earlier contest. Same with Merrimack actually and didn't they play in the Classic last year or the year before? I could see us going out to Minnesota State early, we usually play 6 or so non-conference games early in the season then 1 later. As an AHA member, I'm not so sure that we have all that many games that require our opponents to play return games with us. It is possible, but I'd be a little surprised if we had home games due from Yale or Merrimack. I don't really know what the deal is with Brown.

One note on the coaching situation, Glenn Stewart is a former UConn assistant if that means anything. I ave to say, though, that I'm pretty impressed with the job Berard did this year.

Reaction Score
You're right, a hot goalie can win a game, and I'm not saying UConn won't ever beat BC for the first five years in the league or something, it's just that this isn't basketball or football where we can expect to match or pass their program's level in 5-10 years. Hockey is the one sport where they are a legitimate and full-fledged powerhouse.

It wouldn't shock me to see UConn on the schedule of a lot of current HE teams since they're only playing a 20 game conference schedule next season, two against each of the other 10 teams. Many schools have already scheduled other HE teams as OOC games. I've seen a look at BU's tentative schedule, and I don't believe UConn is on it, but it wouldn't shock me as an addition, I know we've got Maine at Fenway as an OOC game.
Maine at Fenway?? Really?? That would be interesting -- from an open rink to playing in the open at Fenway!!

Reaction Score
So just to answer your question HUSKYDOGART, the last time BC beat UCONN in Basketball was shockingly, the last time they played...1/5/2005
Okay, so they beat UConn the last time they played... but CTEAGLE, do you think they could win last year or even this year?? I'm not hear to criticize BCU, I just wish we had a close rival. Temple to me is not going to be a rival in FB. I just wish the lawsuit didn't happen, so we could play a rivalry game with BC. (It would be good for FB in New England!)

Reaction Score
If we get into the B1G conference, wouldn't Hartford be the better option? They play in front of huge crowds.

Reaction Score
If we go get into the B1G conference, wouldn't Hartford be the better option? They play in front of huge crowds.

XL versus on campus arena will never be a better option for hockey... Select games against high profile teams @ XL yes bu not all games. Need students!l

Reaction Score
If we go get into the B1G conference, wouldn't Hartford be the better option? They play in front of huge crowds.

Nobody in the (future) Big Ten plays in anything other than an on-campus arena. And "huge crowds" for college hockey means about 6K, which is about 40% of the capacity of the Civic.

We'd look about as embarrassing as Ohio State does now, who draws on average 4000 in a 17.5K arena.

Reaction Score
XL versus on campus arena will never be a better option for hockey... Select games against high profile teams @ XL yes bu not all games. Need students!l
I agree with the students but Hartford is the easiest way in and out of games. Students might be excited enough to travel to Hartford for big games. Just about every game will be a big game. They'll have football and hockey games to go to every weekend.

Reaction Score
Nobody in the (future) Big Ten plays in anything other than an on-campus arena. And "huge crowds" for college hockey means about 6K, which is about 40% of the capacity of the Civic.

We'd look about as embarrassing as Ohio State does now, who draws on average 4000 in a 17.5K arena.
Minnesota and Wisconsin draw 10K+. They might be exceptions. If we do on campus, we should do 5-6K minimum.

Reaction Score
Wow... Yale takes out Minnesota 3-2 w/ winning goal 9 seconds into OT. C'mon Quinnipiac!

Reaction Score

Nobody in ANY league plays in anything but an on-campus or very near campus arena. North Dakota, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are the only ones who consistently draw 10K+, Omaha usually gets close to 8K, from there, it's 6-7K and down. Your point about Ohio State is a good one, they look absolutely terrible playing in front of 3,500 in a 18K facility.

and.....YALE!!!!! Always a good day when the Goofers are eliminated. And according to the ESPN graphic during the MN-Yale game, they will play the winner of Niagara and South Dakota. :mad:

Reaction Score
Wow. Can't believe Yale won. Puts all of that ECAC doubting in it's place. :p

Reaction Score
Wow. Can't believe Yale won. Puts all of that ECAC doubting in it's place. :p

Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie)
3/29/13, 5:27 PM
Congrats to Yale on knocking off Minnesota in NCAA hockey play today. All ECACers, past and present, enjoy refuting the old E-Z-AC rep.

Reaction Score
Lowell is beating down Wisconsin. The B1G hockey teams are being slayed.

Reaction Score
College hockey world is in the state of complete chaos. Lowell put Wisconsin up against the wall and took care of business. Niagra is beating UND, 1-0, almost the end of the 2nd. UND fans were "expecting" UND to walk through Niagra. Go Purple Eagles!

Reaction Score

2 Frozen Four teams from last season play in Providence this weekend. Go ECAC! Besides Union, if they play Quinnipiac.

Reaction Score
Maine at Fenway?? Really?? That would be interesting -- from an open rink to playing in the open at Fenway!!
Sorry, my bad when I said we, I meant BU. Wouldn't be shocked to see UConn there down the road, they're going to be having the rest of the HE teams who've not played at Fenway there this year, Merrimack, PC, and Lowell I believe.

The B1G is gone, UND won, UNH winning means Lowell (who was a decided favorite over Bucky) is a shoe-in for the FF since UNH couldn't win a big game in March if their life depended on it, and Quinniunionisius has about a 1% shot at stopping BC. Hockey never follows chalk this time of year, lots of parity, and it's great to see. If only my guys could've got in they'd have made some noise. Oh well. Go Sioux.

Reaction Score
....and Quinniunionisius has about a 1% shot at stopping BC. Hockey never follows chalk this time of year, lots of parity, and it's great to see.
I would give it a 30% chance, at least. Quinnipiac can play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom