UConn Hockey 2012-13 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Grogan should have been 2nd team, I think, but I can't argue with the Purps guy Chubak being first team. Niagara had a hell of a year, and he was a solid lockdown goalie for them all year.

Sadly, the other guys really didn't pull up enough stats to warrant any inclusion. When there's only 9 spots for forwards, and your top guy ranks 13th in points (with a less than good +/- on top of it), I can't fault him not being included.

That all being said, I entirely agree with "rather be playing" over "multiple all-conference awards". AIC got three on the all-conference, which got them 9th place and swept out of the first round. I know whose position I'd rather be in right now, choosing between AIC and UConn.

Reaction Score
Big weekend coming this weekend. AHA semi-finals Friday night and if the Huskies win, Fianls are Saturday night at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester. Winner gets an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. UConn plays Mercyhurst College on Friday. The other game has nationally ranked Niagara against cross town rival Canisius. Niagara is likely to get an NCAA bid win or lose. UConn, or any other team, must win in order to get the bid. UConn and Mercyhurst played twice back in January in Storrs. Huskies won the first game 5-4. Lakers took the second 5-0. Huskies have the 2nd longest unbeaten streak in the nation, at 7 games. They are 14-5-2 since the new year and beat a good Robert Morris Team twice last weekend.

Reaction Score
Definitely like their chances against Mercyhurst the way the team played against BobbyMo.

If they beat the Lakers, I'm not so confident about Niagara. While I certainly don't think UConn is the same team they were when they got swept in the early season against the Purps, I don't think Niagara is going to in any way overlook the Huskies. It'll be a low-scoring affair, most likely, now that Grogan seems to be minding our net well.

Reaction Score
Is anyone in for a trip to Rochester or Atlantic City? If so, please PM me.

Reaction Score
Definitely like their chances against Mercyhurst the way the team played against BobbyMo.

If they beat the Lakers, I'm not so confident about Niagara. While I certainly don't think UConn is the same team they were when they got swept in the early season against the Purps, I don't think Niagara is going to in any way overlook the Huskies. It'll be a low-scoring affair, most likely, now that Grogan seems to be minding our net well.
Niagara is a good hockey club. The only hting I'd say is that if UConn gets to them, they only need to win one game. In a 3 game series I'd go with Niagara, but strange things can happen in a single game.

Reaction Score
DCSportsDept 6:28pm via TweetDeck
The winner of UConn-Mercyhurst will play Canisius in tomorrow's championship. The Golden Griffins upset No. 7 Niagara in the Semifinals.

As a FYI - Quinnipiac lost 4-0 to Brown this afternoon. QU still NCAA bound but...

Reaction Score
Brown is on a roll! Dammit! QU was still a great team to watch.

Yale is losing in the second period, 4-0. WTF?

We need to win tonight and tomorrow. Tied midway through the second period, 1-1.

Reaction Score
Brown is on a roll! Dammit! Yale is losing in the second period, 4-0. WTF? We need to win tomorrow! Who wants to go to Rochester?!

Forget tomorrow - We need to win TONIGHT first. Losing 2-1 @ end of 2. Mercyhurst 2 unanswered goals despite numerous PP chances for the good guys.

Reaction Score
Forget tomorrow - We need to win TONIGHT first. Losing 2-1 @ end of 2. Mercyhurst 2 unanswered goals despite numerous PP chances for the good guys.
I corrected myself. :p

Reaction Score
We lost. Great season for college hockey in the state of CT regardless. Let's hope Quinnipiac makes some noise in the tournament. No idea if Yale will be going.

Reaction Score
Good season to build on... Name DB coach and move on to next year with some momentum.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. Still painful to think about what just happened after all that happened last week. What a weekend that was. Grogan was great for us in the net. Too bad he was beat tonight.

Reaction Score
We lost. Great season for college hockey in the state of CT regardless. Let's hope Quinnipiac makes some noise in the tournament. No idea if Yale will be going.
Yale has a ~70% chance of a bid going into tomorrow, using scenarios unweighted for probability. Lots of upsets all over the college hockey world, Canisius, Brown, 8 seed Colorado College ran through North Dakota and Minnesota this weekend (in virtual home games for both). Interestingly, WCHA regular season champion St. Cloud State now has a 30% chance of NOT making the NCAA tournament, and previously looking good Western Michigan now only has a 3% chance of getting in because of upsets and the PWR cut line moving. Crazy stuff.

Reaction Score
What a weird night in college hockey. UConn's ending was disappointing but I have to say it was a bit of a long shot to get this far. Very impressed with Berard as a head coach, though and they really should give him the job. Took over under difficult conditions and he managed to pull everything together nicely. Plus he has the background as an assistant in Hockey East. I like that the Huskies seem to have some momentum and it sounds like Grogan is coming back which should help. They had some young kids who looked pretty good as the season went along too. I'm not usually a wait til next year guy, but I think this team is moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I like that the Huskies seem to have some momentum and it sounds like Grogan is coming back which should help.
Where do you get he is coming back? I did read somewhere he is a redshirt junior. But some other sources say he is a senior.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/matt_grogan_468881.html

According to here, he was a redshirt sophomore last year but is classified as a senior. uscho.com also classifies him as a senior. My guess is he is officially a redshirt junior.

He finished as the #1 goalie in the Atlantic Hockey.

Reaction Score
What a weird night in college hockey. UConn's ending was disappointing but I have to say it was a bit of a long shot to get this far. Very impressed with Berard as a head coach, though and they really should give him the job. Took over under difficult conditions and he managed to pull everything together nicely. Plus he has the background as an assistant in Hockey East. I like that the Huskies seem to have some momentum and it sounds like Grogan is coming back which should help. They had some young kids who looked pretty good as the season went along too. I'm not usually a wait til next year guy, but I think this team is moving in the right direction.

It was a great season to get this far for UConn hockey!! Who would have thought that they had a shot of making the finals and getting 'also receiving votes' in the polls at the beginning of the season. The Huskies future is looking up and I think HE will be surprised at us the first year. Will we win the HE the first year? No, but we will surprise, IMHO.

Reaction Score
LOL! what exactly does surprise mean? Like win a game or 2 or finish in the middle of the pack?

Reaction Score
LOL! what exactly does surprise mean? Like win a game or 2 or finish in the middle of the pack?
Does that describe your experiences in the ACC?

lolsroyce.gif

Reaction Score
Where do you get he is coming back? I did read somewhere he is a redshirt junior. But some other sources say he is a senior.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/matt_grogan_468881.html

According to here, he was a redshirt sophomore last year but is classified as a senior. uscho.com also classifies him as a senior. My guess is he is officially a redshirt junior.

He finished as the #1 goalie in the Atlantic Hockey.

WHUS men's ice hockey broadcasts have been saying during games that Grogan is coming back since around the time of the senior night game. WHUS ice hockey broadcaster Will Moran tweeted the news as well.

Reaction Score
WHUS men's ice hockey broadcasts have been saying during games that Grogan is coming back since around the time of the senior night game. WHUS ice hockey broadcaster Will Moran tweeted the news as well.
Very reasonable and great to hear. Thank you very much! I look forward to next season.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...win-first-hockey-east-tournament-championship

UMass-Lowell sent Jack Parker into retirement. Great career for him. Union beat Brown for the ECAC title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom