UConn hiring P5 talent is a good sign | The Boneyard

UConn hiring P5 talent is a good sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not that it means much but, Bob Diaco was a pretty big fish. He has taken two major recruiters from Virginia and the strength coach from Mississippi State. I like that we are taking people from big schools. Do they know something we don't? I sure hope so.

Before the realists attack, I do realize that the coaching staffs at both Miss. St and Virginia are on a short leash and these guys may just be seeing us as a life raft since their bosses may get fired next year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's certainly not a bad thing.

I definitely prefer that to the very limiting 'had to attend UConn' prerequisite currently in place on the basketball side of the ledger.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
It's certainly not a bad thing. I definitely prefer that to the very limiting 'had to attend UConn' prerequisite currently in place on the basketball side of the ledger.

In fairness to KO, he has a really good staff with Miller and Hobbs. The only coach that isn't highly qualified is Ricky and he's a warrior. I just wish we had a big man coach that could help us get results.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Ollie leaves, I can just about guarantee that the next staff will be less credentialed than this one.

Reaction Score
I definitely prefer that to the very limiting 'had to attend UConn' prerequisite currently in place on the basketball side of the ledger.
I love seeing Ricky Moore and Kevin Freeman and the like--and I know a program like Duke does this too, with Dawkins and Wojo, etc.--but I'm with you; some continuity is great, but some fresh blood, with fresh ideas, would also be positive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In fairness to KO, he has a really good staff with Miller and Hobbs. The only coach that isn't highly qualified is Ricky and he's a warrior. I just wish we had a big man coach that could help us get results.

When is Okafor retiring from the NBA?

Reaction Score
Very solid choice - what a different feeling than 3 years ago when PP and GDL were announced!

It shows that UConn, WM and SH are damn serious about the future. Better yet it shows that a young talent like Diaco accepts and can convince a talented staff to do the same. If Diaco and his staff felt UConn was dead end - he and they don't come.

Reaction Score
Very solid choice - what a different feeling than 3 years ago when PP and GDL were announced!

It shows that UConn, WM and SH are damn serious about the future. Better yet it shows that a young talent like Diaco accepts and can convince a talented staff to do the same. If Diaco and his staff felt UConn was dead end - he and they don't come.
Not to be negative, but it wouldn't be a dead end job for anyone. How many boneyarders make that salary? He will likely use this to get a job as a coach at a P5 school down the road. Nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with WM and SH. From what I read on the boneyard, it seems that UConn unfortunately was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was left behind. He saw an opportunity to become a head coach and he took it.

Reaction Score
Not to be negative, but it wouldn't be a dead end job for anyone. How many boneyarders make that salary? He will likely use this to get a job as a coach at a P5 school down the road. Nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with WM and SH. From what I read on the boneyard, it seems that UConn unfortunately was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was left behind. He saw an opportunity to become a head coach and he took it.
Disco will only get a better job if he has success at UConn.
That's good for us.

Reaction Score
AZHuskiePop said:
Disco will only get a better job if he has success at UConn. That's good for us.

I actually think that Diaco likes the cultural fit. If he wins and we are close to a P5 invite, I think UConn, with support of the governor, will back up the Brinks truck to keep him. I suspect that due to his Northeast roots, classy demeanor and young family, Diaco may be here a while.

As I've said before, being so close to ESPN and NYC is a gold mine for a coach that can play the media. It will help him recruit, sell tickets and get endorsement deals. The UConn job is viewed as low end, but there are virtually no other low end or middling programs with its upside. The right guy will catapult us forward.

Reaction Score
You can do that with basketball, in football it doesn't mean as much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member