UConn going Union?? | The Boneyard

UConn going Union??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't realize the union thing was gaining steam in Connecticut.

http://ctmirror.org/uconns-napier-on-altheletes-unionizing/

State Rep. Patricia Dillon, D-New Haven, said she intends to propose enabling legislation if state law is a barrier to athletes forming unions at public schools in Connecticut.
"We shouldn't be preventing them. They should have that voice," said Dillon, a member of the Connecticut legislature's Higher Education Committee. "If state law is the barrier, then we should remove it. It should be up to the players."

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score

State Rep. Patricia Dillon, D-New Haven, said she intends to propose enabling legislation if state law is a barrier to athletes forming unions at public schools in Connecticut.
"We shouldn't be preventing them. They should have that voice," said Dillon, a member of the Connecticut legislature's Higher Education Committee. "If state law is the barrier, then we should remove it. It should be up to the players."

Connecticut is as blue as the UConn school color.

Reaction Score

Let's see if any union interests have supported her campaigns...

Reaction Score
I'm surpised at the lack of response to this. If apolitician from Oklahoma said this I would $#!t myself. I'm not aware of other states who have already come out in support of college unions.

I thought this union thing would blow over quickly. This could really throw a monkey wrench from left field into college sports.

Reaction Score
I'm surpised at the lack of response to this. If apolitician from Oklahoma said this I would $#!t myself. I'm not aware of other states who have already come out in support of college unions.

I thought this union thing would blow over quickly. This could really throw a monkey wrench from left field into college sports.

Connecticut is not Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Another great response. Thanks for the info. Reminds me of the other poster who told me Nebraska was not in the Big 12. Keep up the good work fellas.

I still am amazed that you don' think this is a big deal. The rest of the country paid attention to the comments Napier made and your politician made.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Okielite, I think before we get too absorbed into a couple of throw-away comments made by Bazz and a random state politician, we first need to define whether or not the state laws allow for student athletes at public universities to form unions. If news comes out ruling that there is nothing in our state's laws to prohibit this, then we can begin to worry about it. But I agree with the premise that the unionization issue is growing and that these comments stoke the fire a bit.

I think, by in large, UCONN fans are still soaking in the glory of the past two nights than worrying about player unions. I also think you'll find that UCONN fans are, because of the success by our basketball programs, more interested in how our second dual championship seasons affects our conference situation.

Warde Manuel (our AD) has always been on record as saying UCONN would support paying the "full cost of education", consistent with the models proposed by P5 ADs and Commissioners. What "full cost" means is up for interpretation. But there's nothing anyone can do about it until the courts rule on Northwestern's case first and our state (who is not exactly known for moving swiftly in these types of matters) to determine whether or not state law would prohibit unionization at public universities in Connecticut. UCONN (and everyone) can only operate within the rules of the NCAA and that means meal deals from 7AM to 7PM.

Reaction Score
Another great response. Thanks for the info. Reminds me of the other poster who told me Nebraska was not in the Big 12. Keep up the good work fellas.

I still am amazed that you don' think this is a big deal. The rest of the country paid attention to the comments Napier made and your politician made.

In CT we don't get excited over what some State Senator has to say.

Plus, last night we ended our 24 hour championship drought.

pj

Reaction Score
This is no more significant than that Illinois state legislator telling the press he would support Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville to the B1G.

Reaction Score
Okielite, I think before we get too absorbed into a couple of throw-away comments made by Bazz and a random state politician, we first need to define whether or not the state laws allow for student athletes at public universities to form unions. If news comes out ruling that there is nothing in our state's laws to prohibit this, then we can begin to worry about it. But I agree with the premise that the unionization issue is growing and that these comments stoke the fire a bit.

I think, by in large, UCONN fans are still soaking in the glory of the past two nights than worrying about player unions. I also think you'll find that UCONN fans are, because of the success by our basketball programs, more interested in how our second dual championship seasons affects our conference situation.

Warde Manuel (our AD) has always been on record as saying UCONN would support paying the "full cost of education", consistent with the models proposed by P5 ADs and Commissioners. What "full cost" means is up for interpretation. But there's nothing anyone can do about it until the courts rule on Northwestern's case first and our state (who is not exactly known for moving swiftly in these types of matters) to determine whether or not state law would prohibit unionization at public universities in Connecticut. UCONN (and everyone) can only operate within the rules of the NCAA and that means meal deals from 7AM to 7PM.
I am not familiar with your state laws or how popular Unions are in your part of the world but the comments did catch a whole lot of peoples attention.

I understand about the NC's. congrats on both great accomplishments.

I didn't realize athletes could not eat for free after 7pm. The comments by Napier seems like exaggerations to me. I assume he could go into any restaurant in town and eat for free if he really wanted to. I know OU and OSU athletes don't ever go on national TV talk about being hungry at night because they have no access to food. I think that got a lot of peoples attention but I doubt there is really a hunger problem with UConn athletes. . Surely UConn takes better care of it's kids than what was described.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I second this, Dooley.

What do unions have to do with 2013-2014 championships, of which UConn possesses 3 (including two in the last 41 hours)?

This is a subject for next week, when UConn fans wake up refreshed from energized. Some of us fans are still a bit groggy.

Reaction Score
This is no more significant than that Illinois state legislator telling the press he would support Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville to the B1G.
I disagree. Southern Illinois joining the B1G is a dream. Colleges going union is much more realistic considering what is going on at Northwestern.
A Senator making a change to state law is a distinct possibility. A senator forcing theB1G to accept UNI is nothing but a dream that has 0 chance of happening. Big difference is something that could happen versus something that will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom