UConn Football Insider: Given Recent History, All Eyes Will Be On The Offense (Des) | The Boneyard

UConn Football Insider: Given Recent History, All Eyes Will Be On The Offense (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...l-eyes-will-be-on-offense-20150901-story.html (as a reminder - paywall secrets)

>>"The only pressure I would say I would feel would be the pressure to do right by these young men, and my job is to put them in a position to execute their strengths and not to put them in positions that might expose a weakness or deficiency," Verducci said after Monday's practice. "That would be the only self-imposed pressure. That's it, period. I love these kids, and I've explained to them many times that my job is to put them in a position to be successful, and that's a responsibility I'm very serious about."<<

>>"This is not my offense. This is our offense. It's got pieces of everybody on the staff, it's got player input, It's not something we're asking the players to fit what we want to do. We're fitting what we can do to the players."<<

T minus 54 hours --- time to walk the walk.

Reaction Score
but, but, but....how many rooms can he wallpaper with his/our offense?

I actually like Verducci's quotes, he says the right things and doesn't sound like a lunatic. I was disappointed when I heard he was the choice for OC (thought we could have aimed higher), but i like how he's conducted himself with the media (and with the players, from what I've been told), so hope I am eating a lot of crow this season. Seems like a solid person, hopefully he's an equally solid OC.

Reaction Score
Has the offense finally caught up to the defense? I know it was during practice, but I'm liking this line by our OC.

In practice this week the offense was moving pretty efficiently — but that was practice.

Reaction Score
If we make it through a game without a chop block, it will be an improvement.

Reaction Score
True, but I understand where Carl is coming from. Chop blocks happen when linemen aren't prepared mentally, and don't know their own assignments or, more importantly, the assignments of the other linemen.

Reaction Score
True, but I understand where Carl is coming from. Chop blocks happen when linemen aren't prepared mentally, and don't know their own assignments or, more importantly, the assignments of the other linemen.

Not just lineman, backs, TE's and split ends too.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...l-eyes-will-be-on-offense-20150901-story.html (as a reminder - paywall secrets)

>>"The only pressure I would say I would feel would be the pressure to do right by these young men, and my job is to put them in a position to execute their strengths and not to put them in positions that might expose a weakness or deficiency," Verducci said after Monday's practice. "That would be the only self-imposed pressure. That's it, period. I love these kids, and I've explained to them many times that my job is to put them in a position to be successful, and that's a responsibility I'm very serious about."<<

>>"This is not my offense. This is our offense. It's got pieces of everybody on the staff, it's got player input, It's not something we're asking the players to fit what we want to do. We're fitting what we can do to the players."<<

T minus 54 hours --- time to walk the walk.

And the thing is, I feel best about, is I don't walk this alone.

"On the staff we have three guys with coordinating experience so I'd be a fool not to lean on them. Don [Patterson, assistant head coach, tight ends], Mike [Cummings] and Wayne [Lineburg, quarterbacks] have all been offensive coordinators. They're very in tune with what my job is and they understand the support that they wanted when they were coordinators, so they offer me that support. I'd be a fool not to use that.

"This is not my offense. This is our offense. It's got pieces of everybody on the staff, it's got player input"

A High Porch Picnic is a book about Hayden Fry's career. On page 190, there is a chapter about 1992 and it reads.

"We had to make adjustments to our coaching staff and at the same time deal with the emotional aspect of coach John O'Hara's death which the players took very hard. Don Patterson who came to Iowa with me (Hayden Fry) from North Texas became the offensive coordinator. Frank Vertucci took over the offensive line after serving as recruiting coordinator.

These guys know each other so well. It's neat that Patterson was Vertucci's Offensive coordinator in 1992 and 23 years later the rolls are reversed. During the 90's Diaco played for these guys. The coaching staff is like one body and mind. When Vertucci infers that this is Offense by committee, I totally get it!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Vinnie & Bobby Verducci...

top-of-the-heap.jpg

Reaction Score
I love the quotes. Not expecting miracles right away but this guy sounds like he's not trying to impress anybody with how smart he is.

Reaction Score
Liking the approach of fitting an offense to our players strengths and "what they can do " versus what they can't do.
Also like the team approach.

YOU SEE-I was always confused by "wallpaper on the walls" comment of ppgdl-yet .....in reality, my memory with ppgdl- the "o" primarily consisted of 168 lb running back dive play..... (& the infamous nobody knows it's coming-wildcat)

SO, Verducci attempting to put in an offense that can put points on the board by catering to a strength-is like music to my ears....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom