UConn Football APR Score: 969 | The Boneyard

UConn Football APR Score: 969

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Not bad for the Huskies. Good to see us avoiding trouble in the academic area. As long as HCBD is here I don't see this being an issue for us

Reaction Score
dennisdoddcbs 2:13pm via TweetDeck
Auburn leads the SEC in FB APR and is second in the country.
Laughing-chimp-gif-animation.gif

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not trying to be a dink, but this stuff is all just hot air IMO. As much as we'd like to think that Diaco's out there trying to field scholars, he doesn't care. He just wants guys who are going to get us an APR that we won't be ashamed of (which should be anyone so long as you know how to guide them through school) and avoid any embarrassments or scandals. Diaco said it himself in his first year regarding Jefferson Ashiru--he said he didn't want guys who cared about math more than they cared about football.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a dink, but this stuff is all just hot air IMO. As much as we'd like to think that Diaco's out there trying to field scholars, he doesn't care. He just wants guys who are going to get us an APR that we won't be ashamed of (which should be anyone so long as you know how to guide them through school) and avoid any embarrassments or scandals. Diaco said it himself in his first year regarding Jefferson Ashiru--he said he didn't want guys who cared about math more than they cared about football.

First, the APR is a joke. Memphis has a strong APR and they're effectively teaching kids how to color between the lines.

I disagree on diaco not caring -- he's been clear he wants football players who are passionate about all aspects of life, including schools. Besides, do you really believe Ashiru got benched for wanting to do math homework?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
First, the APR is a joke. Memphis has a strong APR and they're effectively teaching kids how to color between the lines.

I disagree on diaco not caring -- he's been clear he wants football players who are passionate about all aspects of life, including schools. Besides, do you really believe Ashiru got benched for wanting to do math homework?

No, I don't believe that Ashiru got benched for wanting to do math homework, but I'm simply pointing to what Diaco said himself. How can that be explained away? And of course Diaco is going to say that he wants players who are passionate about school--what else do you expect him to say? I'm not saying Diaco's willing to take anyone and everyone, but let's not kid ourselves about the standards we have for our program

Reaction Score
Diaco said it himself in his first year regarding Jefferson Ashiru--he said he didn't want guys who cared about math more than they cared about football.

I'm near certain that quote was not made about or in reference to JA. It was made in reference to the types of players UConn was targeting during the recruiting process and the team that HCBD wanted to put together.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm near certain that quote was not made about or in reference to JA. It was made in reference to the types of players UConn was targeting during the recruiting process and the team that HCBD wanted to put together.

You're right. It was in this Jacobs column on Ashiru leaving the team and I must have just associated the two as one situation. Still, regardless of whether Diaco was speaking specifically about Ashiru or in generalities, that quote flies in the face of the narrative that we're too concerned about the student component of being a student athlete.
Ashiru's Father Had Harsh Words, And Diaco Was 'Crushed'

Reaction Score
You're right. It was in this Jacobs column on Ashiru leaving the team and I must have just associated the two as one situation. Still, regardless of whether Diaco was speaking specifically about Ashiru or in generalities, that quote flies in the face of the narrative that we're too concerned about the student component of being a student athlete.

Here is the full quote from Diaco:

"We are interested in collecting players that fit UConn. That want to go to school at UConn, that are excited to go to school at UConn. They are achievement-oriented, you're interested in going to class. You're interested in doing the things you are a part of. We are interested in collecting players that love football. If you don't love football enough, because you love something else, we're not going to get along. You don't want a player that loves math four times more than football. You need to collect players that love football. After that, they've shown this level of achievement, they want to come to UConn, they're excited to come to UConn, and they love football. After that, we have tangible traits that we believe, if we can put a big, athletic team on the field, we're going to have a chance to win more than lose. We're going to have a chance to have a good team. We can have a good team if we have those first intangible traits, and are big and athletic tangibly. So we're recruiting to that model, we've been recruiting to that model since we started."

There clearly needs to be a balance between the two (athletics and academics) and whether the current means of measuring APR is a joke or not - it's a measure that until changed, must be met or face the repercussions of not meeting it (as we well know).

All Husky teams that exceed the metric should be commended and the university should be commended for providing the necessary support to do it - no?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Here is the full quote from Diaco:

"We are interested in collecting players that fit UConn. That want to go to school at UConn, that are excited to go to school at UConn. They are achievement-oriented, you're interested in going to class. You're interested in doing the things you are a part of. We are interested in collecting players that love football. If you don't love football enough, because you love something else, we're not going to get along. You don't want a player that loves math four times more than football. You need to collect players that love football. After that, they've shown this level of achievement, they want to come to UConn, they're excited to come to UConn, and they love football. After that, we have tangible traits that we believe, if we can put a big, athletic team on the field, we're going to have a chance to win more than lose. We're going to have a chance to have a good team. We can have a good team if we have those first intangible traits, and are big and athletic tangibly. So we're recruiting to that model, we've been recruiting to that model since we started."

There clearly needs to be a balance between the two (athletics and academics) and whether the current means of measuring APR is a joke or not - it's a measure that until changed, must be met or face the repercussions of not meeting it (as we well know).

All Husky teams that exceed the metric should be commended and the university should be commended for providing the necessary support to do it - no?

I mean, I wouldn't say they should be commended for avoiding sanctions as a result of APR...so no, I guess we disagree there. But the crux of what I was getting at before was just as much about the perception that we're trying to recruit great students

Reaction Score
UConnphil, I am simply going to have to disagree with you on this point. I hear and I see Diaco be very consistent about recruiting RKGs - and that doesn't mean good players on the field, it means good guys in all aspects of life. I loved his quotes a few months back about RKGs and how they do in school. I firmly believe Diaco believes his job is more than a FB coach. Perhaps he has to be more so in that respect at a program like ours, but I don't believe for a second he'd play a guy who was not meeting all of the requirements of the program, including being a good student.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a dink, but this stuff is all just hot air IMO. As much as we'd like to think that Diaco's out there trying to field scholars, he doesn't care. He just wants guys who are going to get us an APR that we won't be ashamed of (which should be anyone so long as you know how to guide them through school) and avoid any embarrassments or scandals.

I think you seriously underestimate what HCBD is attempting to accomplish here. He has proven time and again how important it is to get RKGs with intelligence into the program. Setting the bar just above... getting in trouble or barely squeaking by grade-wise... is not his goal. I firmly believe he's recruiting to a much higher standard than that.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So our APR score was actually 990 and not the 969 as the headline states? If accurate, can a moderator please change that? Doesn't make sense to be advertising a false number. ;)

In case you weren't being sarcastic - the 969 was the 4 year average used by NCAA for eligibility purposes --- 990 was 2014-2015 period.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
So our APR score was actually 990 and not the 969 as the headline states? If accurate, can a moderator please change that? Doesn't make sense to be advertising a false number. ;)
The 969 is the 4-year average. 990 is the past season. Either way, good stuff.

Reaction Score
In case you weren't being sarcastic - the 969 was the 4 year average used by NCAA for eligibility purposes --- 990 was 2014-2015 period.
No, not at all. Thought it might have been posted incorrectly, but your explanation about the 4 vs 1 year clears that up! Thanks M!

Reaction Score
APR is a terrible way to measure whether kids are actually learning and performing well in class. It doesn't measure real achievement, it just measures whether you're not failing and are currently on track to graduate. Basically, it measures whether everyone is doing marginally well enough to get by. So everyone on the team could be getting straight C-minuses and have the requisite credits to be considered on track to graduate based on your current year and you'd have an APR of 1000. If everyone on the team had straight As but one kid got a D, that team's APR would be below 1000. It's a race to the bottom structure that is mind-numbingly dumb.

All of that said, it is welcoming to see Diaco keeping the team in line academically. I doubt my C-minus example above is the case at UConn, or at most places.

Reaction Score
Not bad for the Huskies. Good to see us avoiding trouble in the academic area. As long as HCBD is here I don't see this being an issue for us

If Kentucky basketball can get 1000 year after year, why does anyone follow the rules?

Reaction Score
If Kentucky basketball can get 1000 year after year, why does anyone follow the rules?
Because Cal can put his players into nonsense classes where they can scrape by on a C average while taking the requisite number of classes to be considered on track, and get his team a 1000 score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom