UConn Football APR - 958 | The Boneyard

UConn Football APR - 958

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/06/uconn-posts-958-apr-score.html

>>The UConn football team posted an Academic Progress Rate score of 958 during the 2011-12 academic year. While the number dropped five points from the mark the Huskies had during the 2010-11 period, it is the best scores for the UConn football program since having scores of 974 in 2004-05 and 963 in 2005-06. It is also the seventh time in eight years that UConn scored 950 or higher.

According to a release put out by UConn, the Huskies' multi-year score was 11 points above the national average for public institutions and the football program is eligible to play in a bowl game.<<

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Seeing Boise Community College at 993 is pretty funny.

Just for giggles, does anyone know Boise's graduation rate? For all I know, it might be outstanding. However, I think "upstater" is on to something when he notes that APR is not an indication of grad success. Hell, based on KY and others, the two seem damn near mutually exclusive.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Just for giggles, does anyone know Boise's graduation rate? For all I know, it might be outstanding. However, I think "upstater" is on to something when he notes that APR is not an indication of grad success. Hell, based on KY and others, the two seem damn near mutually exclusive.

Even graduation rate misses the mark when it comes to quality of academics, although it is slightly better than APR. To me, APR literally is the lowest common denominator in measuring academics - basically have you not dropped out yet? If you haven't, you pass! Graduation rate is slightly better in that you must have done some work to satisfy your degree requirement but as we've seen at other universities (cough, cough, looking at you UNC), the bar can be set pretty low. Dexter Manley made it through four years at Oklahoma State and was eligible that entire time yet remained functionally illiterate.

If you really wanted to measure academics among athletes, APR is the bare minimum. While I can understand trying to use APR from a PR perspective, anyone who bothers to look past the surface would realize that it is a joke for Rutgers or Boise State's to use it to tout their academic reputation as a broader school.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but when Boise St is among the highest fliers in the APR ranks (alongside Northwestern), I'm a bit suspicous. Some things just don't compute. This is one of them. On the other hand, I would certainly try and hire their academic coordinator/counselor (magician?).

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but when Boise St is among the highest fliers in the APR ranks (alongside Northwestern), I'm a bit suspicous. Some things just don't compute. This is one of them. On the other hand, I would certainly try and hire their academic coordinator/counselor (magician?).

Clemson up there is also a joke. Maybe some of it is the level of academics being so soft at these schools, or (more likely) athletes are being pushed through the system. There are little to no academic requirements to be admitted into Boise St. They are not attracting Mensa candidates. No way these kids are getting degrees on their own. May sound cynical, but I'm not buying what they're selling.

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 2:44pm via TweetDeck
Football APR Big East: RU 978, USF 970, Temple 963, Pitt 962, UConn & SU 958, Cincy 943, UL 924

McMurphyESPN 3:23pm via TweetDeck
Top FBS APRs: Nwern 996, Boise 993, Duke 989, Clem & Wis 985, GT 983, BC, Mizzou & OhioSt 982, Rice 979, Bama, Rutgers, Stan 978, Miami 977

McMurphyESPN 3:20pm via TweetDeck
Bottom FBS APRs: NM St 916, UTEP 917, Idaho 919, Troy 921, UL & Tenn 924, OkSt 926, IowaSt 928, Tulsa 929, FIU 930, BYU 931
If this doesn't show how worthless the APR is, I'm not sure what does. Didn't the 3rd string QB at tOSU wonder why they expected him to even go to class?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If there was anyplace in the college message board universe that would understand what complete BS the APR is, I would have thought it would be here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
If there was anyplace in the college message board universe that would understand what complete BS the APR is, I would have thought it would be here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry. Did someone actually state the APR was legitimate in this thread?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
If this doesn't show how worthless the APR is, I'm not sure what does. Didn't the 3rd string QB at tOSU wonder why they expected him to even go to class?
We ain't come here to play school

Reaction Score
Louisville is at 924 APR? Weren't they just on probation with scholarships lost? They dipped again? Their 4 year must not look so hot.

Reaction Score
Louisville is at 924 APR? Weren't they just on probation with scholarships lost? They dipped again? Their 4 year must not look so hot.

That's their 4 year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/44822/more-academic-strides-for-ul-usf

"As for Louisville, the Cardinals also have had APR disasters in the past. The 924 score is a four-year average, and includes the 896 the program posted in 2009-10, when coaching turnover made a major impact in the APR rate. That score got the Cardinals an immediate penalty from the NCAA -- three scholarship reductions.

But if you look at the past two single-year APR scores, you see major improvements. The single-year score in 2010-11 was 948; in 2011-12 the single-year APR score was 971. Those were the first two seasons with Charlie Strong in charge. If you just look at the single-year score from 2011-12, Louisville would have ranked No. 4 among all members who were in the Big East at the time. Only Syracuse (984), Rutgers (976) and and USF (972) had higher single-year scores. "

Reaction Score
That's their 4 year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/44822/more-academic-strides-for-ul-usf

"As for Louisville, the Cardinals also have had APR disasters in the past. The 924 score is a four-year average, and includes the 896 the program posted in 2009-10, when coaching turnover made a major impact in the APR rate. That score got the Cardinals an immediate penalty from the NCAA -- three scholarship reductions.

But if you look at the past two single-year APR scores, you see major improvements. The single-year score in 2010-11 was 948; in 2011-12 the single-year APR score was 971. Those were the first two seasons with Charlie Strong in charge. If you just look at the single-year score from 2011-12, Louisville would have ranked No. 4 among all members who were in the Big East at the time. Only Syracuse (984), Rutgers (976) and and USF (972) had higher single-year scores. "

I see. Oh well, too bad the NCAA didn't retroactively ding them--especially for football where players stay for 4 or 5 years and have plenty of time to work through the school's faux academic program.

Reaction Score
So an SEC guy comes in and miraculously boosts Ville's APR numbers from jumpstreet and every year since. You can only laugh at this stuff.

Reaction Score
I'd be really curious to know how players majors figure in to the whole APR mix. I'm fairly certain someone who's majoring in basket weaving will have have grades that contribute more to a higher APR than someone who's major is say...finance or accounting. Not sure where criminal science or histroy would fit in the mix. :D

Reaction Score
I'd be really curious to know how players majors figure in to the whole APR mix. I'm fairly certain someone who's majoring in basket weaving will have have grades that contribute more to a higher APR than someone who's major is say...finance or accounting. Not sure where criminal science or histroy would fit in the mix. :D

Grades have little to do with APR. So why would Majors be relevant? Majors have little to do with it. Graduation has nothing to do with it, so majors don't even matter. What do you think Kentucky's kids are majoring in? Nothing. They leave. Proceeding through a major's requirements has little to do with it. Also, where does this idea that a business major is tough come from? All my business students tell me it's a breeze.

Reaction Score
Grades have little to do with APR. So why would Majors be relevant? Majors have little to do with it. Graduation has nothing to do with it, so majors don't even matter. What do you think Kentucky's kids are majoring in? Nothing. They leave. Proceeding through a major's requirements has little to do with it. Also, where does this idea that a business major is tough come from? All my business students tell me it's a breeze.

Maybe your students think business is a breeze because you're an easy grader who takes the bell curve to new heights... :D On another note...thanks for being a teacher. A great profession.

Reaction Score
Maybe your students think business is a breeze because you're an easy grader who takes the bell curve to new heights... :D On another note...thanks for being a teacher. A great profession.

I don't teach business, but I have business students. As far as I can tell, there are some degrees that cull a lot of students (maybe in engineering), others that you can breeze through with high grades for little work (I was in one of these, these are mainly professional degrees), and then there's the liberal arts and sciences, where many can graduate with Cs (including in things like Physics, English, etc.) but which only the very smart get As.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom