UConn football: A look at the offense line (John Silver) | The Boneyard

UConn football: A look at the offense line (John Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cummings hopes UConn's offensive line continues to mature (Fuller)
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/cummings-hopes-uconns-offensive-line.html

>>In retrospect Cummings admitted the time be devoted on fixing the leaky offensive line probably hurt his performance as a play caller.

"I spent all the individual time with the line," Cummings said. "The division was doing position, individual (work) with the offensive line and then I spent time with the team in the other (practice periods).

"It is difficult when you spend so much time coaching five guys that it feels like it is a different world. It if difficult because you are focused and locked in on a particular portion of the offense that when you step out into the big picture, you kind of go back to that part of the offense which is a huge part of the offense."<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In retrospect Cummings admitted the time be devoted on fixing the leaky offensive line probably hurt his performance as a play caller.

"I spent all the individual time with the line," Cummings said. "The division was doing position, individual (work) with the offensive line and then I spent time with the team in the other (practice periods).

"It is difficult when you spend so much time coaching five guys that it feels like it is a different world. It if difficult because you are focused and locked in on a particular portion of the offense that when you step out into the big picture, you kind of go back to that part of the offense which is a huge part of the offense."

I was finally starting to feel really positive and upbeat about this coming season, and then I read these quotes. And now I feel sick to my stomach again. And I don't have galoshes tall enough to properly wade through the horse manure of those statements... :(

galoshes-for-women.jpg

Reaction Score
I was finally starting to feel really positive and upbeat about this coming season, and then I read these quotes. And now I feel sick to my stomach again.

You probably just have a weak stomach. Share Jimmy's Pepto. They're only words... :D

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You probably just have a weak stomach. Share Jimmy's Pepto. They're only words... :D

Is it the words that are giving me agita? Or is it the fact that I think he believes them? :confused:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
"Verducci and Cummings are going to work close in hands on the run game as the Huskies aim to build a power attack that can wear opponents down."

I derive some hope from this. It also leads me to believe that we may favor Sherriffs in a Tim Tebow heavy run attack. Closer to a wishbone than a read option, maybe a traditional option.

Reaction Score
Sounds like they're throwing Foley under the bus.

Yeah... But I'm also beginning to question what was going on for the last few seasons on the line more and more. Not sure if it was more a coaching issue, more a player issue. or like alot of things - a bit of both.

This was in the Silver article:

“I was surprised, initially (at the struggles), I thought we would be further along. But we got better,” Cummings said. “A lot of it had to do was with the people we were playing and the chemistry. If you are going to tell me something, and I anticipate you to do it, and you don’t do it … communication was an issue. We had some communication issues and had some technique issues. We improved throughout the year. We cut it back a little bit offensively, let them develop, but there was improvement.”

I could be wrong but didn't we hear the same thing about communication and lack of a "leader" before this staff ever took the reins? I could be mashing years together but I don't think so. (too tired tonight to go looking)

I don't care who or why anymore - I just want it fixed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish well for Coach Foley and hope he lands in a good place but...something had to be done after 4+ years of below par results from the O-line. For those of you that claim it wasn't Foley, it was the talent... then he needed to recruit better. For those that say it wasn't the players it was the coaching, well when two offensive coordinators in a row have to take over the position then you have to put 2 and 2 together.

Water under the bridge.... Lets Go Huskies!! Lets Go!!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I wish well for Coach Foley and hope he lands in a good place but...something had to be done after 4+ years of below par results from the O-line. For those of you that claim it wasn't Foley, it was the talent...

I no longer need to claim that it wasn't Foley. Cummings just claimed it himself in the quotes above...

Reaction Score
I wish well for Coach Foley and hope he lands in a good place but...something had to be done after 4+ years of below par results from the O-line. For those of you that claim it wasn't Foley, it was the talent... then he needed to recruit better. For those that say it wasn't the players it was the coaching, well when two offensive coordinators in a row have to take over the position then you have to put 2 and 2 together.

Water under the bridge.... Lets Go Huskies!! Lets Go!!

Your great uncle George.

Reaction Score
Yeah... But I'm also beginning to question what was going on for the last few seasons on the line more and more. Not sure if it was more a coaching issue, more a player issue. or like alot of things - a bit of both.

This was in the Silver article:

“I was surprised, initially (at the struggles), I thought we would be further along. But we got better,” Cummings said. “A lot of it had to do was with the people we were playing and the chemistry. If you are going to tell me something, and I anticipate you to do it, and you don’t do it … communication was an issue. We had some communication issues and had some technique issues. We improved throughout the year. We cut it back a little bit offensively, let them develop, but there was improvement.”

I could be wrong but didn't we hear the same thing about communication and lack of a "leader" before this staff ever took the reins? I could be mashing years together but I don't think so. (too tired tonight to go looking)

I don't care who or why anymore - I just want it fixed.
PP tossed Foley aside, Diaco brought him back for 1 year... and now it's all Foley's fault? BS.

Reaction Score
PP tossed Foley aside, Diaco brought him back for 1 year... and now it's all Foley's fault? BS.

Guessing you glossed over this part? >>"Not sure if it was more a coaching issue, more a player issue. or like alot of things - a bit of both"<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike Foley had a very long tenure at one school. He can walk away proud. There were a lot of good things that happened to the positional groups he coached. HOWEVER ... it often seems that these transitions don't work for the guy who is the leftover. And, the PP years still confuse me as to what he was thinking.

The Offensive Line did get better as the year went on. Frankly, they were absolutely horrid the few games.

Reaction Score
Sounds like they're throwing Foley under the bus.

Foley is and was a good coach. The NFL linemen and multiple thousand-plus yard RB's prove as much; as does the fact that his short time with the Tight Ends generated a solid group including another NFL player. And, don't forget the almost immediate improvement after he took over at the end of 2013.

Unfortunately, he was always the "outsider" on this staff. Foley always impressed me as a strong willed guy with his own way of doing things. It could be that Foley and Cummings were/are the "communications issue" Cummings is referring to. Can probably chalk it up to two strong-willed, talented managers that can't "play nice" with each other. It happens. Move on.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
As someone else said I just want the problem fixed and for the line to be much better than last year.

Reaction Score
I no longer need to claim that it wasn't Foley. Cummings just claimed it himself in the quotes above...
Great point, I might even go further and say that Diaco, at least for next year has now claimed it. Foley had great success with the front line, after all he was the coach when the offensive line left a indelible black and blue on both the South Carolina and Notre Dame defensive lines. But that was when UCONN was in the Big East, and time moves on, and we know past success is no indication of future success (head coaches have a lot to do with that). However, eliminating a coach at a position where he had historical success and was the only coach whose players demonstrated marked improvement last year, means the Diaco thinks he can do better. So it is now on him.

TJ Weist wasn't hired because he lost his first 5 games before winning the last 3. After his mulligan year and recent staffing decisions, coach Diaco needs to be held to the same standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom