UConn Fire Truck Runs Over And Kills Student | The Boneyard

UConn Fire Truck Runs Over And Kills Student

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UConn Student Run Over, Killed by Campus Fire Vehicle

A 19-year-old student at the University of Connecticut has been run over and killed by a vehicle for the campus fire department.

A Connecticut State Police report says it happened around 1:15 a.m. Sunday after student Jeffny Pally was sitting against the bay door of the campus public safety complex in Storrs.

The report says Pally, of West Hartford, was sitting on the ground with her back against the bay door when the fire department got an emergency call and opened the door.

The report says she then fell back on the ground and the fire department vehicle ran over her.

In a statement, UConn President Susan Herbst called it "a heartbreaking and tragic loss" and extended sympathy to Pally's family and friends.

The university referred all questions to state police.

Reaction Score
So this girl was sitting against the garage door to the fire department and it opened up and the truck hit her at 1 am responding to a call?

I understand the putting the driver on administrative leave but this just sounds like a series of unfortunate events..... Would be awful if someone seeing she was unable to get back to her dorm put her there for someone to help her.

Reaction Score
So this girl was sitting against the garage door to the fire department and it opened up and the truck hit her at 1 am responding to a call?

I understand the putting the driver on administrative leave but this just sounds like a series of unfortunate events..... Would be awful if someone seeing she was unable to get back to her dorm put her there for someone to help her.

For whatever reason, people pass out by there all the time. I called the police a few times because people were passed out next to the tree or right next to the driveway. I stopped calling the police because they would harass me and my friends asking why we let our "friend" get so drunk, we should be looking after them better, etc. meanwhile we didn't even know these people.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Very sad for all concerned, whatever the backstory. Rest in piece.

Reaction Score
She was a very nice girl. She was friends with my son and had been to my house.... Just a horrible situation.

Drew

Reaction Score
Vigil was held last week.

As Tuesday night approached, Shiny Chemmarappally didn't think she'd have the strength to speak about her daughter.

But then dusk came and the crowd assembled for the vigil, each member clutching a candle. The dozens of upturned faces steeled her resolve, and the words came steadily, if not easily.

"There will be no greater pain than this in our lives," Chemmarappally said about the death of her daughter Jeffny Pally, killed Sunday in an accident involving a vehicle from UConn's fire department. "But I know we will get through this."

Chemmarappally spoke of pain, but also of love, the "outpouring" of which, she said, she has felt since that tragic moment. It was no more evident than at that packed vigil, held on Fairfield Way at the Storrs campus.

"We are so proud, even now," Chemmarappally said. "We are happy to see that she has had such an impact on your lives."

At UConn Vigil, Student's Mother Speaks Of Pain, Great Love

Drew

Reaction Score
Also this is interesting- false fire alarm led to student's death?

UConn: Fire alarm that led to student's death was false

University spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said Wednesday the alarm that firefighters responded to was "unfounded."

The school is reviewing what activated the alarm. Reitz says it wasn't a malfunction. She says the alarm was triggered automatically, not manually.

The medical examiner's office says Pally's death was the result of blunt trauma to the head and torso and ruled an accident

Reaction Score
This is absurd.

How so? No different then if it was a private homeowner/parent (social host liability law) or restaurant/bar owner/bartender (dram shop law) that served a minor and had a bad outcome. These must be the "adults" of the house.

Reaction Score
How so? No different then if it was a private homeowner/parent (social host liability law) or restaurant/bar owner/bartender (dram shop law) that served a minor and had a bad outcome. These must be the "adults" of the house.

Those laws are just as bad. You shouldn't be responsible for other adults actions. If a guy had been killed I guarantee they wouldn't be charging anyone.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm just glad one of them is Mac & Cheese Boy. He's had it rough lately.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm just glad one of them is Mac & Cheese Boy. He's had it rough lately.

Maybe not the spot for that.

Drew

Reaction Score
Judge Asked To Bar Release Of Video Of UConn Student's Death

The parents of a University of Connecticut student who died after being run over by a campus fire department vehicle are asking a judge to prohibit public release of a video of the accident.

Abraham and Shinymol Chemmarappally made the request last week, saying public release of the video possessed by UConn would cause the family emotional anguish.

A Hartford Superior Court judge has scheduled a hearing for next Monday.

Reaction Score
Terrible story all the way around.

Responsibility with alcohol must be exercised and enforced at all times.

Drew

Reaction Score
Her sorority, Delta Gamma, was just kicked off campus at UConn in response to this. Not really sure how or why that makes sense but it is what it is

Reaction Score
Her sorority, Delta Gamma, was just kicked off campus at UConn in response to this. Not really sure how or why that makes sense but it is what it is

Drew

Reaction Score
http://fox61.com/2017/06/05/judge-public-records-case-on-uconn-death-video-can-proceed/

The parents of a University of Connecticut student who died after being run over by a campus fire vehicle have lost a bid to stop a public records panel from considering whether surveillance video of the accident should be released to the public.

A state judge recently ruled against a request by the parents of Jeffny Pally to prohibit the state Freedom of Information Commission from proceeding with the video case. The ruling came May 25 in the parents’ lawsuit against UConn.

The Hartford Courant appealed to the commission after UConn declined to release the video.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What public interest is furthered by the release of the video? I'm sure that the Courant has a right to it, but let it go out of respect for the family's wishes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom