UConn Duquesne Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn Duquesne Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since we're all chiming in..................This was a great game tonight for so many reasons.

1. Duquesne gave us exactly the kind of game we needed. A hard fought competitive one..........for about 16 minutes. Right up tho the time Stewie brought out her fly swatter.

2. The Duke's coach was right, it was a track meet. But it was a sprint, not a marathon. Our girls had it under control after 16-17 minutes. I loved the opening salvos the teams were lobbing at each other. As I predicted in a post yesterday, I thought it would get away from Duquesne real fast, and it did. I also said UConn would show them some things they had not seen this year.....check.

3. This was a good day for me too. I predicted a final score of 95-49 UConn. I was off 2 points for both teams. I'll take that. Duquesne lost to 5 unranked teams this season. I figured if all of their losses were to unranked teams, how did they propose to beat UConn AT GAMPEL?

4. I thought it was fitting and proper that Geno took the BIG 3 out of the game at the same time, to a rousing and well deserved standing ovation. THAT move showed lots of class and appreciation. Thanks Geno.
The Duquesne coach made several miscalculations during his presser yesterday. 1. He "poked the bear", bad idea. 2. Although he did not personally pick this particular time to bring his team to Storrs, It was the worst time this season to play UConn at Gampel. The last game of the season, and the last home game in the career of the seniors. You didn't really think the BIG 3 weren't going to win their last home game did you?

5. I think (along with so many others) that the turning point in the game was when Stewart made those 3 blocks during a span of 6 seconds. That turnover took some of the wind out of the Dukes' sails. You could tell that the momentum shifted to UConn right after that.

6. There were several upsets this first weekend: Louisville, Arizona State, Michigan State, Maryland and Texas A&M were all sent home. UCLA and Stanford almost joined that group. I think the play of UConn this weekend proved that they are still in control, still the team to beat and continue to move ahead on schedule like a down hill run-a-way freight train that's lost its brakes.

7. With this weekend in the books, its on to Bridgeport, and a date with the Mississippi State Bulldogs. Go Huskies.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The sweet 16. Boys and girls, this is where the rubber meets the road. NOW, things will begin to get interesting. Most of weaker and "at-large" teams are gone, and some we didn't figure to be gone this early.
With the first 2 rounds in the books, is there anyone out there in the yard who thinks that there is a 1 seed that won't survive the coming weekend? What's your take? Who do you like going forward? I'll hang up and listen.
Enjoy your week everyone. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
90, 71, 70, 47. That's a lot of games!

That's why so many WCBB fans outside of Connecticut dislike UConn, but also the reason why none of them want UConn in their conference. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I would love to know the Duquesne coach's logic in coming out in the second half in a 1-3-1 zone. Against two post players with the best post moves in college basketball, that is a rather questionable strategy. Predictably, UConn fed incessantly into the post, eventually forcing him to change to man. Of course, it didn't matter, since the game was already out of reach at halftime, but it sure made it easier for UConn to practice their high-low post game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Saniya's playing great. Lot of good feeling for next year.
Not to be a wet blanket but after Saniya made the three, it was her man that made a three at the other end. Saniya was 5 feet from the shooter. She needs to work on her defensive positioning in the off season, maybe a camp?

Reaction Score
I wish to thank everyone who posted to this thread during the game. I had to be at work on Monday evening, and I was checking this thread while following the game on espn.com. You really brought the game to life for me.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It seems to say something about our national presence that ESPN did not make me watch S. Fl. We Floridians got the
whole shebang. I am so lucky. Thanks, ESPN.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It seems to say something about our national presence that ESPN did not make me watch S. Fl. We Floridians got the
whole shebang. I am so lucky. Thanks, ESPN.

Lucky you. We got flipped to the USF/UCLA game, barely 5 mins in (Tampa area). Lucky to have the ESPN overflow stations.

Reaction Score
Before the tourney started, there were 4 teams I was concerned about playing. Two of them--USF and Maryland--are gone. Baylor and ND look tough. SC is good, but a poor matchup against us, I think.

I don't think Miss State has a chance, nor does Texas. UCLA might be competitive.

I am still amazed at so many of you that had any fear of USF at all. We blew them out. With all the chances they have had over two years they were never once close in the 4th quarter where the game was threatened.

Next year we are going to really know what it's like "to fear an opponent." USF was not an opponent to be feared this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am still amazed at so many of you that had any fear of USF at all. We blew them out. With all the chances they have had over two years they were never once close in the 4th quarter where the game was threatened.

Next year we are going to really know what it's like "to fear an opponent." USF was not an opponent to be feared this year.
They beat us 20 minutes at a time a few times. They know us and don't fear us. It's very hard to beat a good team 4x in the same season. I think last year's tournament final was fairly close. Certainly, USF had the momentum for most of the second half.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And have made exactly 400 of 500 free throw attempts.

Very interesting!

arte-johnson-02.jpg

The official scorer must have messed up, because we have only 1,399 rebounds. I thought we had a nice even 1,400. ;)

Reaction Score
They beat us 20 minutes at a time a few times. They know us and don't fear us. It's very hard to beat a good team 4x in the same season. I think last year's tournament final was fairly close. Certainly, USF had the momentum for most of the second half.

They only played us well for half a game. It isn't that hard to beat a team four times when they aren't that close to you. A team that never pushes you even in three-quarters of a game after two years isn't that close. This team not once showed they can keep it close for a full game. A top- tier team absolutely it is hard to win 4 in a row. If we were in the ACC, I believe ND would have picked us off definitely once if not more. USF is not ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom