UConn doesn't stray from defensive philosophy (J. Fuller) | The Boneyard

UConn doesn't stray from defensive philosophy (J. Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/10/uconn-doesnt-stray-from-defensive.html

"They were executing the plan defensively, we felt good about it and it was working for the better part of three quarters." Diaco said. "We need some more offense, a little bit, there is a lot of pressure, a lot of stress on the other two phases but we will get it. It may take a little bit more time, they are starting to groove and they are younger but we will get it. The coaches are coming together, we will take it on ourselves. they are trying so hard, the young men. We will keep doing a better job of finding plays for them and the things we can do to execute well and close out some of these games with wins."

Reaction Score
does anyone else wonder if we can improve on third downs if we blitz occasionally. Not saying all of them. But to be blitz less doesn't make sense either

Reaction Score
In the end it was our inability to score that did us in. But this kind of stubbornness cost us more than once. We are more than capable of pressuring and covering guys. Instead we play to their strengths and were lucky to keep it close. Still has a long way to go as far as gameplanning is concerned.

Reaction Score
In the end it was our inability to score that did us in. But this kind of stubbornness cost us more than once. We are more than capable of pressuring and covering guys. Instead we play to their strengths and were lucky to keep it close. Still has a long way to go as far as gameplanning is concerned.

What kind of stubbornness? These experienced defensive coaches see the players daily in all sorts of schemes, situations and play calls against our scout team and how they execute (or don't execute) but you know the defense is more than capable of pressuring and covering guys?

Does it dawn on anyone that across the board Michigan had higher skilled defensive players than we did. The premise that "just because Michigan did it and won - UConn can do it win" is bizarre. We are not Michigan player for player.

I'm not sure the coaches collective experience on offensive plays calls is at the level it should to make me comfortable but they get every benefit of my doubt on defensive play calls.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Until they start awarding points for dominance in yardage and first downs, this is not an issue. If we are going to have trouble scoring 20, then our only chance to compete is slow the game down to keep scores low. aggressive, pressing defense speeds the game up and will not work in our favor until we have a better offense...

Reaction Score
Our only chance to compete is to slow the game down to keep the score low. A pressing defense speeds the game up and will not work in our favor until we have a better offense.

I tend to agree with you, but the problem with our offensive production is the mirror image of your observation. Our O line issues and protection breakdowns have not gone un-noticed by our opponents. Thus, we should expect to see a steady diet of aggressive, pressing, blitzing defenses. Our offense is not currently being helped by the coaching staff's inability to get our play calls in more quickly, having BS under center too often rather than in shotgun, and our overall play calling--with a dearth of short passing routes especially to our tight ends--and easier outlets for BS when his first option is covered. Masking deficiencies and game planning to overcome them is the key to our offensive --and team success this year. The good news is I believe we will continue to improve in all of these areas and have a bowl bound team come December.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you, but the problem with our offensive production is the mirror image of your observation. Our O line issues and protection breakdowns have not gone un-noticed by our opponents. Thus, we should expect to see a steady diet of aggressive, pressing, blitzing defenses. Our offense is not currently being helped by the coaching staff's inability to get our play calls in more quickly, having BS under center too often rather than in shotgun, and our overall play calling--with a dearth of short passing routes especially to our tight ends--and easier outlets for BS when his first option is covered. Masking deficiencies and game planning to overcome them is the key to our offensive --and team success this year. The good news is I believe we will continue to improve in all of these areas and have a bowl bound team come December.
Spot on. That in a nutshell is the nature of the contest at least through this more difficult part of our schedule. If we really have seen the best defenses we're going to see, then maybe we can get to the point where we can attack and exploit aggressive defense but that has to start with confidence that the o-line will hold up. As we work through the infamous process, we should see these dynamics changing but for now, it's keep it close to give yourself a puncher's chance and then take a shot to win in crunch time (I think that's where the crazy comes in).

Reaction Score
I see zero problem with the defense. Teams will generally shoot themselves in the foot at some point when you make them drive the length of the field to score. Against BYU, they missed a FG and we blocked a FG. We got two INTs including one on fourth down by Summers when we did get pressure. Are we not getting as much pressure as we want? No, but Ormbsy and Adeyemi did flush their QB on a few occassions, just didn't have the footspeed to close the deal. Need Carezola to step there also.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have no problem with the scheme in general, but if it is 3rd and 2 the CBs cannot be lined up 8 yards from the WRs. That is just stupid.
The cushion can't be 12 yards on 1st & 10 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom