UConn-DePaul postgame thread (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-DePaul postgame thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At 76 I don't have too many lucid moments but I came up with a few thoughts after UConn beat DePaul:
1. I was really pi--ed when Geno took out Ines with 7.9 seconds left and put Paige back in the first 1/2! It wouldn't have hurt if she played the last 1 1/2 minutes of the 1/2!

Sherm, I think Geno took Paige out to rest her and to avoid a last-minute foul. When the possession reverted back to UConn, Geno put Paige back in to get the final shot. It was an offense/defense substitution.

Reaction Score
I'm no expert or a doctor and this is just my opinion but it seems to me Amari isnt healed all the way. She runs and moves like she still has a back problem. Now i know they wouldnt let her play if she was in danger of damaging herself further but maybe her back is just weak or something but she isnt moving like she used to. Might be why she only gets to play a little bit every game.

I think there is a knee issue. She's wearing a sleeve and has the take on it. Before yall come for me, I am not making any excuses in regards to her play

Reaction Score
Is it just me? I am always unimpressed by Doug Bruno teams because they play an easy style for good teams to handle. A half loaded UConn crushed them twice this year. They gave a good UConn team a scare once i believe. He is probably a great guy, but his relative mediocrity would have had him gone from the men’s program years ago. I know he is an “institution”, but DePaul seems to be one of those schools that has far less interest in national competitiveness , for better or worse, in women sports.

Ya know before Uconn went back, Bruno and DePaul were running the BE??

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I hope so...
Explain instead of being mad.

I didn’t say they SHOULD fire him. I said they look at the womens‘ team fortunes differently from the men FOR BETTER OR WORSE (not yelling just emphasizing). it might in fact be better. But I would appreciate your evaluation of his teams performance against better competition over the years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I didn’t say they SHOULD fire him. I said they look at the womens‘ team fortunes differently from the men FOR BETTER OR WORSE (not yelling just emphasizing). it might in fact be better. But I would appreciate your evaluation of his teams performance against better competition over the years.
Bruno lost his two best players, Aneesah Morrow and Darrione Rogers, to the transfer portal last April, too late to go out and recruit to replace them. Additionally, DePaul had as many injuries as UConn last season so that returning players are still inexperienced. Doug brought in a couple of grad transfers but the chemistry seems that it hasn’t quite gelled.

Here’s a link to their roster. Not too many experienced players here, like UConn, but unlike UConn, not as talented because the best kids transferred or graduated. I respect that the team still played hard and made the Huskies earn their points in the first half before fouling out or getting fatigued by UConn’s physical play in the second half

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ya know before Uconn went back, Bruno and DePaul were running the BE??
And look what a depleted UConn team is doing to the Big East. The BE they dominated no longer had UConn, ND or Rutgers. Tell me how Bruno’s teams do against top shelf competition. His teams were basically the best of the rest after the top 3 and rarely gave top national teams a scare. Their NCAA tourney history over the last 20 years is basically run of the mill or worse since they joined the Big East. But the main observation is that DePaul is one of those schools that has different expectations for the men and women programs but moreover, Doug Bruno’s teams play a style that hardly ever gives better teams a problem. Do you disagree?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Bruno lost his two best players, Aneesah Morrow and Darrione Rogers, to the transfer portal last April, too late to go out and recruit to replace them. Additionally, DePaul had as many injuries as UConn last season so that returning players are still inexperienced. Doug brought in a couple of grad transfers but the chemistry seems that it hasn’t quite gelled.

Here’s a link to their roster. Not too many experienced players here, like UConn, but unlike UConn, not as talented because the best kids transferred or graduated. I respect that the team still played hard and made the Huskies earn their points in the first half before fouling out or getting fatigued by UConn’s physical play in the second half

I’m not talking about this year. I’m talking his history, especially Big East and when he has good national teams to contend with. You really think DePaul would hang on to its men team coaches this long? His teams are hardly ever a problem for top level teams. He isn’t horrible, his teams he isn’t are rarely dangerous for very good opposition. They play a certain style and his talent isn’t enough to succeed with that against better teams. I don’t know why the talented Morrow left, but she at least probably didn’t see DePaul as giving her the best platform. Obviously her departure hurt him, but he had 20 or so previous BE years, about 6 of them with no UConn, ND or Rutgers. Might have added 5 or 6 losses a year.

Reaction Score
IMG_0478.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m not talking about this year. I’m talking his history, especially Big East and when he has good national teams to contend with. You really think DePaul would hang on to its men team coaches this long? His teams are hardly ever a problem for top level teams. He isn’t horrible, his teams he isn’t are rarely dangerous for very good opposition. They play a certain style and his talent isn’t enough to succeed with that against better teams. I don’t know why the talented Morrow left, but she at least probably didn’t see DePaul as giving her the best platform. Obviously her departure hurt him, but he had 20 or so previous BE years, about 6 of them with no UConn, ND or Rutgers. Might have added 5 or 6 losses a year.
LSU has guaranteed NIL $$$$$$$

Doug’s teams have suffered injuries like UConn, and everyone else it seems, since Covid. The last two columns below are final rankings. Shaded areas are conference championships

51B8397B-F16F-4B80-A807-D46384BF5676.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was stunned when I looked up and there was the number 100 next to UCONN. It didn't feel that way. For a while, it seemed that we either got a score from Paige or Edwards, or we wound up on defense. I know there were some decent "other" points spread around, but I am still waiting for the game when ASH or Q or KK hit back to back shots from deep. In other words, I am waiting for one ( or more ) of them to get " red hot" in a big game. Once that happens, we can beat most anyone. My favorite alignment today was Inez and the four freshman. See you at the Villanova game.
"Ines and the FOUR Freshmen" = Sounds like a rock group from the 1950's or 1960's.
BYW.. Nice game for Ines.... that 'stripe' of the De Paul player driving to the basket ( GILBERT?)
and the hard drive for the layup... Go Azores Girl!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
LSU has guaranteed NIL $$$$$$$

Doug’s teams have suffered injuries like UConn, and everyone else it seems, since Covid. The last two columns below are final rankings. Shaded areas are conference championships

View attachment 96940
As I said, he does well against average competition. He had zero top shelf league competition in any of those highlighted years when no BE teams scared national level teams. His teams lose in the NCAA against top teams. Im not saying he should be fired, I’m saying DePaul expects less of the women than the men and they are not alone. And maybe that says something worse about the men’s coaches are treated, forgetting how bad DePaul’s men have been in recent years.

Reaction Score
And look what a depleted UConn team is doing to the Big East. The BE they dominated no longer had UConn, ND or Rutgers. Tell me how Bruno’s teams do against top shelf competition. His teams were basically the best of the rest after the top 3 and rarely gave top national teams a scare. Their NCAA tourney history over the last 20 years is basically run of the mill or worse since they joined the Big East. But the main observation is that DePaul is one of those schools that has different expectations for the men and women programs but moreover, Doug Bruno’s teams play a style that hardly ever gives better teams a problem. Do you disagree?
I disagree. Bruno is a good coach and has been for years. He coached with Geno with the USA team. The Big East isn’t a powerhouse conference it once was. That hurts programs other than UConn in the Big East. DePaul cannot get the players that the top teams in the country get. That isn’t based on Bronco’s style of coaching. If UConn didn’t have the history it has Geno wouldn’t be getting the players it does. Why compare 5he women’s game to the men’s game?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Personally I don't visit the BY to see posts that consist of bashing our opponents - programs, coaches or players, so that is why I replied "I hope so." Especially when the post is hidden in a post game thread.
I follow UConn WBB and don't research or follow other teams. I have started to watch non UConn games but just because there's usually nothing else on.
I have no further interest in what you posted.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I disagree. Bruno is a good coach and has been for years. He coached with Geno with the USA team. The Big East isn’t a powerhouse conference it once was. That hurts programs other than UConn in the Big East. DePaul cannot get the players that the top teams in the country get. That isn’t based on Bronco’s style of coaching. If UConn didn’t have the history it has Geno wouldn’t be getting the players it does. Why compare 5he women’s game to the men’s game?
I’m not comparing the game, i’m comparing how the university treats them differently and, as I said, for better or worse. Moreover, being in the BE was no recruiting issue for Rutgers or ND and other reams like BC and WV , and occasiobally a few others recruited ok. People used to say UConn men couldn’t compete in the BE and location was the problem. Seems like for UConn’ location is not an issue for hoops. Seems like the right coach can succeed almost anywhere. But nobody yet has pointed out that my take is inaccurate about DePaul’s ability to scare national level teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom