UConn, Dayton Predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn, Dayton Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
100-63

Does anyone know why they struggled so much against GW (three losses, none of them extraordinarily close)?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The thing about the comparisons to USF is that the three USF games got progressively uglier with each meeting. However, the first encounter between the two teams was a shellacking at the hands of the Huskies. As such, it's my cautiously optimistic belief that the fact this is the first game between Dayton and UConn favors UConn.

Reaction Score
The thing about the comparisons to USF is that the three USF games got progressively uglier with each meeting. However, the first encounter between the two teams was a shellacking at the hands of the Huskies. As such, it's my cautiously optimistic belief that the fact this is the first game between Dayton and UConn favors UConn.

UConn actually played Dayton 4 years ago and won by 40. So I guess it will be like a first time :)

Reaction Score
Dayton's offense is pretty good, and our defense isn't what it has been in years prior (giving up 70 to USF). That said, our offense is a lot better.

UConn 89-66 Dayton

[UConn 46-36 Dayton at halftime]

Agreed. I'd expect this to be a much closer game for longer than people expect. I was very impressed with Dayton in that Louisville game. So was Shea and Geno.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UConn actually played Dayton 4 years ago and won by 40. So I guess it will be like a first time :)

Oh, I meant first time of the year, a la the first game with USF this season. The subsequent two games weren't pretty, but the first game was a 42-point boat-race. That's what I'm hopeful of against Dayton. The gosh darn Final Four is at stake; better play accordingly!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
100-63

Does anyone know why they struggled so much against GW (three losses, none of them extraordinarily close)?

I should have gone to the GW game but didn't. I can't answer your question other than the fact that GW was good (#21, I believe). They finished 29-4 and had a rebounding margin of +13.9. GW has a 6'4" player named Jonquel Jones, who averaged a double-double. She's a bit of an anomaly as a recruit. She played at national powerhouse Riverdale Baptist and was a WBCA All-American. I believe she was #17 in the HG rankings. Interestingly, she close Clemson. But she transferred to GW after one semester. She may be good enough to have a WNBA future.

http://www.gwsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/jonquel_jones_833448.html

GW beat Dayton by 3 at Dayton. Jones had 24 and 17. GW won by 11 at home. Jones had 18 and 18. In the conference tourney in Richmond, GW won by 13 after trailing by 8 at the half. Jones had 21 and 6. If Dayton struggled with Jonquel, I think they will really struggle with Stewie.

Mallott and Hoover played in the 78-38 loss in Storrs as freshmen. I don't think they have played anyone like UConn since then. That team included Tiffany, Kelly, Bria, Stef, and Kaleena, but not Stewie, MoJett, Morgan, Kia, or the Gabbulous One.

Reaction Score
For Cinderella Dayton the basketball turns to a pumpkin at 7:00 p.m. tonight. UConn 93-58.

Reaction Score
Oh, I meant first time of the year, a la the first game with USF this season. The subsequent two games weren't pretty, but the first game was a 42-point boat-race. That's what I'm hopeful of against Dayton. The gosh darn Final Four is at stake; better play accordingly!

Massey Ratings now predicts UConn 88 - Dayton 64.

Reaction Score
100-63

I have no idea, but by now Shea and company have thoroughly studied those results and the players have absorbed any useful information. Go Huskies! UConn wins 91-65

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Dayton 83
UConn 82
In OT

I always root for teams out west..........................and Dayton is west of Storrs.

Also, UConn had a similar blowout vs UC Davis and then lost in OT to Stanford.
Do not forget the past!!!!!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It is so funny to me how important a UConn loss is to everyone else... then again that's probably why they are "everyone else". It doesn't require much to end up in that "everyone else" category. The best way to find yourself there? Focus on the UConn loss instead of what you can do to win as your only hope for a victory. This philosophy seems be spreading like wildfire among WBB forums.

Reaction Score
From what I understand Dayton like to play at a faster pace. I think they make just go with who they are and try to play up tempo... UConn 106 - 70

Reaction Score
Agreed. I'd expect this to be a much closer game for longer than people expect. I was very impressed with Dayton in that Louisville game. So was Shea and Geno.
I've been impressed with Dayton, especially their grit in the Kentucky game, but as far as their win over Louisville, Jude (4 for 23) Schimmel is not Moriah Jefferson and Sara Hammond is not Breanna Stewart. In fact in that game Sara Hammond wasn't even Sara Hammond. I expect the usual competitive game for maybe 8 minutes until everyone settles and adjustments are made, and then so long Dayton.

Reaction Score
Dayton's offense is pretty good, and our defense isn't what it has been in years prior (giving up 70 to USF). That said, our offense is a lot better.

UConn 89-66 Dayton

[UConn 46-36 Dayton at halftime]
Kara Lawson says UConn has the best offense and defense in the league. If you can't trust Kara, who can you trust? :)

Reaction Score
Final Tally

UConn_Dayton_4.jpg

Reaction Score
Dayton made The Dance. I don't see them surviving The Block Party.:D

Reaction Score
I think Dayton is going to try and do what got them here. In an uptempo game, I see UConn winning 109-72.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom