UCONN - Dayton Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Dayton Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This was the game I was afraid of, Dayton hitting their outside shots (7-10 on 3's) and UConn not able to build a big lead. This is anybody's game. UConn to win has to improve their defense while at the same time, not putting the Dayton players on the Free Throw line. Dayton's passing is limiting the effectiveness of UConn's defense. Hopefully Moriah will be able to get open in the 2nd half and hit some timely shots.

Kia is having freshmen jitters.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williams had zero impact, unfortunately. Gonna be the starters the rest of the way. Hope they have enough left to finally put out some defensive pressure.

Reaction Score
Becca bringing up the Louisville-Baylor game and talking about all the 3s.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn isn't just getting beat from three. Both KML and Jefferson have been taken into the paint and beaten 1-on-1.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One thing to remember is that UConn trailed BYU last year 4 minutes into the second half and were barely ahead of A&M early in the second half too. They need to make significant adjustments, but it is possible.

Reaction Score
Uconn needs to play better defense on penetration, needs to rotate over and help out.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Remember when so many here were lambasting Tennessee for playing even with Gonzaga on basically their home court...this is basically a home game for UConn and losing at the half. My point is, WCBB is getting better across the board, and just because a seed is lower doesn't mean they can't compete.

Also, I still think UConn will win by 20 or more. Would be shocked if it's less than that.

Reaction Score
Dayton shooting 70% at the half on threes. Big question is whether they can keep that up for the game. If they do, they win, if they drop off even to 40%, they lose. It's going to be an interesting second half. Also, after that great free throw shooting performance in their previous game, it's UCONN at 100% on FT (9/9) and Dayton at only 50%.

Reaction Score
Why isn't Moriah taking 3's? She's open a lot out there and it seems she never misses them lately. And if Dayton can shoot 3's with UConn in their faces, certainly Kaleena can do the same. We already seem to be playing not to lose. Hope Dayton players lose some steam during the second half!

Reaction Score
TO UConn 44-43 Dayton :24.6
Problem I see is UConn's defense, the zone is not covering in the corners, time & time again it is Stewart having to choose whether to guard high at the elbow or down in the corner, whoever she chooses the ball goes to the other person and Dayton is shooting lights out. UConn needs a better defensive scheme!

Reaction Score
Why isn't Moriah taking 3's? She's open a lot out there and it seems she never misses them lately. And if Dayton can shoot 3's with UConn in their faces, certainly Kaleena can do the same. We already seem to be playing not to lose. Hope Dayton players lose some steam during the second half!
Would have been nice to get Dayton into foul trouble since that is one of their weaknesses.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Geno is feeling a lot like Kim Mulkey was feeling two years ago. Kim told her team not to worry, that Louisville wouldn't keep making threes at the same pace. The rest is history.
If Dayton keeps shooting threes and makes 70% of them..... nah, couldn't happen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is the most entertaining UCONN game since Stanford. Hope the 2nd half is equally entertaining

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
she took a three and missed. It seems Geno wants to attack them in the paint. It's good strategy - there is a good chance to get the Dayton stars in foul trouble. Malott fouled out vs Louisville and if UConn can get her in foul trouble, taht could help stem the perimeter scoring.

Reaction Score
UConn is playing great offense, rebounding well defensively, and actually playing OK defense. Dayton is simply making shots out of their mind.

If Dayton was actually as good as they played in the first half they'd be undefeated, hands down. 6 teams beat them, I'm pretty sure UConn can.

I'm expecting the odds to catch up to them and UConn to take control at around the 10 minute mark in the second half. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Geno is feeling a lot like Kim Mulkey was feeling two years ago. Kim told her team not to worry, that Louisville wouldn't keep making threes at the same pace. The rest is history.
If Dayton keeps shooting threes and makes 70% of them..... nah, couldn't happen.
Probably feels a bit like how South Carolina felt last month when everyone on UConn was knocking down 3s and I think finished the night 70% from 3.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn needs defensive plays, TO's, fastbreak points. Rattle them and hope they force quicker shots.

Reaction Score
UConn is playing great offense, rebounding well defensively, and actually playing OK defense. Dayton is simply making shots out of their mind.

If Dayton was actually as good as they played in the first half they'd be undefeated, hands down. 6 teams beat them, I'm pretty sure UConn can.

I'm expecting the odds to catch up to them and UConn to take control at around the 10 minute mark in the second half. Go Huskies!
Sometimes it's just a team's night, you know? Happens in all sports.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

They played Louisville the same way for the entire game.

Reaction Score
I don't think they can shoot that we'll in the second half, but we need to play better D and get rebounds because I think they will make shots if they keep getting second looks. If I'm being honest kml is our problem on D. Really it's her getting beat then help has to come and they are an excellent passing team.

Reaction Score
I'm a little frustrated with the shot selection of Morgan Tuck toward the end of the first half. She attempted a few really difficult shots where she had better options, with passing being a big one. She doesn't need to force shots. Hopefully we'll see a second half where we make better decisions, play a bit better defensively and Dayton stops shooting lights out from beyond the three.

Reaction Score
I say put Kiah in and let Stewie covers Malot, Malot is the biggest thread that we need to take away.

Reaction Score
Another problem is that we need KML on offense so I wouldn't take her out either.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno shouldn't have said Dayton reminds him of first National Championship team... Or maybe his first Final Four team... But damn, Dayton is on FIRE!!! They look, well, they look like a UConn team. Drats....

Time to get more aggressive on perimeter defense & bang down low on offense. Get the bigs in foul trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom