UConn connection improves Towson Tigers | The Boneyard

UConn connection improves Towson Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Ambrose won Coach of the Year in the FCS last year. I've always been curious about how he'd do after he left UConn and what kind of offense he'd run. He had a rough first few years, but now it seems he finally got a QB. They still ran a run heavy offense. If I'm reading the tea leaves right, I don't think Edsall was exactly shackling Ambrose. Their offensive philosophies seem pretty similar based on statistics anyway.

I'm definitely interested in what Moorhead will do at Fordham.

Reaction Score
Ambrose won Coach of the Year in the FCS last year. I've always been curious about how he'd do after he left UConn and what kind of offense he'd run. He had a rough first few years, but now it seems he finally got a QB. They still ran a run heavy offense. If I'm reading the tea leaves right, I don't think Edsall was exactly shackling Ambrose. Their offensive philosophies seem pretty similar based on statistics anyway.

I'm definitely interested in what Moorhead will do at Fordham.

It's not a secret that Edsall held the offernse back, he was too conservative. I am also very curious to see what Moorhead can do.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's not a secret that Edsall held the offernse back, he was too conservative. I am also very curious to see what Moorhead can do.
I don't think this was the case with Ambrose, but I do with Moorhead... time will probably tell.

I personally don't really mind a ball control offense, but I really did think we'd get something more dynamic with Moorhead based on Akron.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't mind a ball control offense that has a highly productive short passing game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Speaking of a passing game, when does everyone think ours gets unveiled? I'm guessing not for UMass. Does it wait until Maryland? I'm looking forward to unleashing it on a defensive squad expecting to stack the box. If that's Randy's squad...well so much the better.

Reaction Score
Speaking of a passing game, when does everyone think ours gets unveiled? I'm guessing not for UMass. Does it wait until Maryland? I'm looking forward to unleashing it on a defensive squad expecting to stack the box. If that's Randy's squad...well so much the better.

I'm hoping that the coaches are taking the approach that UMASS cannot be overlooked. They will be much tougher than Fordham was last year. In fact UMASS would blow out Fordham. Play UMASS straight up until we have a 4 TD lead.

BTW NC State is probably better than Maryland. Why would anything be held back vs NC State? We may be underdogs vs NC State.

pj

Reaction Score

I think the team needs repetitions more than it needs to surprise NC State and Maryland. Use all the core plays for UMass and add a few plays each week.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that the coaches are taking the approach that UMASS cannot be overlooked. They will be much tougher than Fordham was last year. In fact UMASS would blow out Fordham. Play UMASS straight up until we have a 4 TD lead.

BTW NC State is probably better than Maryland. Why would anything be held back vs NC State? We may be underdogs vs NC State.

I think we will be able to run all day versus UMass, so no need to stretch the field, just burn clock and score. I do agree that we might need the fire power vs. NC State, though.

Reaction Score
IMO, there's a few reasons why Kinnard and Sheppard left UConn and think it has less to do with do with FHCRE and more to do with HCRA.
From press reports, scrimmage and spring game reviews, it was unlikely they were going to get any significant amount of playing time with the new HCPP, i.e. not going to be running with the ones. It's not because they weren't good athletes for their position, it's just that there was someone else ahead of them that was a little bit better. So when they decided to leave, what better place to go than to a school where it's more than likely they would be able to contribute right away, and that just happened to be Towson. It also helped that they were probably already familiar with the type of offense HCRA would be running or at least something resembling it. Then it's also important to remember that they'd both be closer to home. As for what sealed their decision to go to Towson. I can only speculate, but think it'd be pretty fair to assume that because HCRA had recruited them to go to UConn, a certain level of trust between coach and player had already been established. But most important - HCRA wanted them because he knew they were two talented players and they understood that.

Reaction Score
Ambrose probably runs a pretty good offense now that Edsall isn't around to make him call for 40 yard sideways swing passes from sideline to sideline.

2.6 yards and a cloud of dust will only get you so far. 7.8 yards in fact.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
HCRA wanted them because he knew they were two talented players and they understood that.

Do you mean FUCRE? Former UConn Coach Randy Edsall

Reaction Score
Do you mean FUCRE? Former UConn Coach Randy Edsall
In trying to voice my opinion I probably could have made myself a little clearer. However, in the sentence you mentioned, I was specifically referring to Coach Ambrose' efforts to get them to play for Towson. I didn't mean to confuse things. But I will just add this regarding recruiting in general.

In a sense you could say you could say FHCRE 'recruited' them to play for UConn, but IMO HCRA did the real recruiting. The initial recruiter (like Coach Ambrose) maintains the most contact with the player, and the head coach usually doesn't get involved until the player gives a pretty good indication that he wants to go the school in question. At that time, the head coach will go to the players home and reiterate all the points concerning why the player would be making a good choice to go to his school. He'll also get into some specifics on how he sees the player fitting in with his team and how he sees him contributing. This is also the time for the parents to get an impression for what kind of person the head coach is. As you might expect, that first impression can go a long way towards a parent influencing their son's final decision too. (Recruiting the parents...that's another story all to itself.)
Hopefully I didn't confuse things more. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro