UConn - Colorado College Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - Colorado College Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well that imploded quickly.
Medic my take on this...Cav and Marotollo went all in on this tournament...Pecknold played nice in public but after backing out, then losing to UCONN this year will be a hard sell to say yes. Yale never really gave a Yes due to the ivy scheduling demands handcuffing them on the number of OOC games they can play. QU and Yale both know that Cav once he gets his 18 scholarships and new on-campus barn will soon be a VERY real player on the national scene. I honestly don't ever see this taking shape...2 want it and 2 don't.

Reaction Score
Medic my take on this...Cav and Marotollo went all in on this tournament...Pecknold played nice in public but after backing out, then losing to UCONN this year will be a hard sell to say yes. Yale never really gave a Yes due to the ivy scheduling demands handcuffing them on the number of OOC games they can play. QU and Yale both know that Cav once he gets his 18 scholarships and new on-campus barn will soon be a VERY real player on the national scene. I honestly don't ever see this taking shape...2 want it and 2 don't.

No argument... Sounded too good to begin with.

Reaction Score

So using your logic the Beanpot tournament shouldn't even exist b/c Harvard and Northeastern are petrified of BC and BU. I won't even touch your obvious ignorance of Quinnipiac and Yale hockey.

Reaction Score
So using your logic the Beanpot tournament shouldn't even exist b/c Harvard and Northeastern are petrified of BC and BU. I won't even touch your obvious ignorance of Quinnipiac and Yale hockey.
Nope not in the least...it is no secret why Yale isn't involved in the holiday tournament and is most likely the reason it will never happen any time soon. QU decided to bail after a scheduling "snafu" this year. But please do touch my "ignorance".
QU appologizes for not bailing on 2014 tournament:
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20...awing-from-bridgeports-frozen-holiday-classic

Yale holding up a CT Bean Pot type Tournament:
http://articles.courant.com/2013-12...e-cavanaugh-college-hockey-tournament-beanpot

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Not having this tournament is so stupid I don't even know where to begin.

Way to blow a great opportunity, Yale. Way to be petty, Quinnipiac. Way to whine about the timing, Cav.

Sacred Heart being the adults.

Reaction Score
I was at the UMASS game and UCONN was 1/6 on the penalty kill, but also gave up a goal a few seconds after a penalty expired. A few of the penalties (boarding, elbowing, hooking) looked to be the result of some sloppy play. I didn't see any of the Colorado College game ... but maybe that is what Cavanaugh is alluding to in his post game presser.
Your description of the sloppiness in UCONN's defeat of umess was similar to what I observed in person at the Colorado College game. In addition to shaky short-handed play, a few not so smart penalties, and overall general sloppiness, Colorado College was bigger, appeared more committed to winning, and planted guys in the crease who tipped in two goals. Rob Nichols was generally great in goal, but also directly contributed to one CC goal. Some of the young guys are getting great experience which may bode well for the future.

Attendance: Not so impressive; winter break, off campus, probably not advertised too well, and not going to draw too many young families on a school night. No evidence of outreach to youth hockey nor high school programs, nor any evidence of any kind of Fairfield/New Haven county alumni activities. That's not to say such things did not occur, but they were not apparent. It was great to see a game before heading back overseas.

Reaction Score
If they can get a regular tournament going in Bridgeport that would involve other schools, I wouldn't complain! As long as there is only one AHA team maximum.

It would actually benefit QU and Yale to be in an in-state tournament. But I know Pecknold is scared of his image being scarred. He wants to schedule down HE teams.

Reaction Score
Your description of the sloppiness in UCONN's defeat of umess was similar to what I observed in person at the Colorado College game. In addition to shaky short-handed play, a few not so smart penalties, and overall general sloppiness, Colorado College was bigger, appeared more committed to winning, and planted guys in the crease who tipped in two goals. Rob Nichols was generally great in goal, but also directly contributed to one CC goal. Some of the young guys are getting great experience which may bode well for the future.

Attendance: Not so impressive; winter break, off campus, probably not advertised too well, and not going to draw too many young families on a school night. No evidence of outreach to youth hockey nor high school programs, nor any evidence of any kind of Fairfield/New Haven county alumni activities. That's not to say such things did not occur, but they were not apparent. It was great to see a game before heading back overseas.

I must also add that I have been thrilled, and very surprised, so far with this team's ability to compete and stay close in every game. I have only attended 2 games so far (BCU @ XL & @UMass) so it may not be enough of a sample size, but the UMASS game was played with less discipline than the BCU game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom