UConn @ Cincinnati (April 8 @ 6p, April 9 @ 6p & April 10 @1p) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Cincinnati (April 8 @ 6p, April 9 @ 6p & April 10 @1p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 2:53pm via Twitter Web Client
B6: Bearcats open the inning with back-to-back singles and Coach Penders will call on @CJDandeneau in a jam.#UConn leads, 4-0. #HookC

UConnBaseball 3:04pm via Twitter Web Client
B6: #UConn 4, Cincinnati 1
Dandeneau gets a pair of outs and will hand the ball over to Domnarski with two-on and two down. #BleedBlue

UConnBaseball 3:10pm via Twitter Web Client
END 6: #UConn 4, Cincinnati 1
Domnarski gets the Huskies out of it. Book is closed on Montgomerie:

Reaction Score
Nothing easy...

UConnBaseball 3:24pm via Twitter Web Client
B7: Bearcats put two on via infield singles and Coach Penders will bring on @NicoDarras with one down. #UConnholds a 4-1 lead. #HookC

UConnBaseball 3:32pm via Twitter Web Client
B7: #UConn 4, Cincinnati 2
Bearcats get one back on an RBI groundout. Two in scoring position with two down. @RPolo_ is called in. #HookC

UConnBaseball 3:36pm via Twitter Web Client
END 7: Polonia gets the job done! We're headed to the T8 with #UConn holding a 4-2 lead. Duff to lead it off. #HookC

Reaction Score
UConn wins 4-2. Excellent relief outing from Polonia, giving up 1 hit in 2.1 innings in getting the save.

Reaction Score
Woulda, coulda, shoulda won series.

UConnBaseball 4:07pm via Twitter Web Client
FINAL: #UConn 4, Cincinnati 2. Huskies grab a nice bounce-back win and conclude the weekend on a high note
CftPBU0WsAE6wq1.jpg

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 1:34pm via Twitter Web Client
END 2: #UConn 1, Cincinnati 0
Two more strikeouts for Montgomerie -- He's up 38 Ks in 24.0 IP in 2016, which translates to 14.25 K/9.

Today Montgomerie had 8 strikeouts in 5 innings, which gives him 43 Ks with 27 innings pitched, which is an amazing ratio. If he can keep the walks, hit by pitches, and wild pitches under control, he could be something else (of course, you could say that about a lot of college pitchers). But at least it looks like the weekend starting rotation is looking like it is finally sorting itself out with Kay, Cate, and Montgomerie.

Reaction Score
Was able to see Amity and the Winkel brothers (UCONN commits) yesterday in Westport.
The older one, Chris, played 1B, but didn't hit. Was talking to someone in the know, who said he got hurt during basketball season and had trouble swinging. Hopefully he recovers soon.
His younger bother, Pat, the sophomore Catcher is a stud. Hit an opposite field bomb high into the woods that broke up a scoreless game. Has a gun, too. The guy I was talking to, said Pat is getting SEC looks and will probably be a high draft pick and doubts he'll be playing in Storrs :(

On a side note, Staples has a kid going to UNC, one going to Maryland, but they played horribly.
And freshman Chad Knight pitched great for 4 innings in his HS debut. Some of you might remember him from the Little League World Series a few years ago.

Reaction Score
I was only able to listen to the last few innings of yesterday's game, that is, not the portion that Wills Montgomerie pitched. Anyway, I just listened to the post game interview with Penders, and Coach was not happy with Montgomerie. This is not the exact quote Penders had on Montgomerie, it is shortened up a bit, but it is pretty close to what was said.

Will's stuff is way too good for us to be on pins and needles when a runner is on against him. With runners he's a different guy. I should be praising him right now, but watching the game it's like waiting for something to blow up.

Reaction Score
The kid gave up 1 earned run (2 total from the entire staff) and the win the he critizes all of them except Polonia. I get he must be frustrated but this make absolutely no sense. Why call out one of the bright spots from this weekend publicly, why not do it privately.

Reaction Score
The kid gave up 1 earned run (2 total from the entire staff) and the win the he critizes all of them except Polonia. I get he must be frustrated but this make absolutely no sense. Why call out one of the bright spots from this weekend publicly, why not do it privately.

You may disagree, but I love these interviews with Penders. They can be so full of information about the baseball team, for both good and bad. And that is important in that there are so few outlets to get real information about the team.

What happened with Montgomerie in this game is not a one time occurrence. What Penders is mad about with Montgomerie is that this happens in pretty much every game Wills Montgomerie has started in the last two seasons, the feeling that you watching and waiting for the bomb to go off. I certainly get that sense listening to the games on the radio. And sometimes that bomb will go off long before he has 8 strikeouts in 5 innings, and that usually means he gives up a bit more than one run. It got so bad earlier in the season that Montgomerie temporarily lost his spot in the weekend starting rotation due to the ineffectiveness that resulted. What this interview is telling me is that the root causes for Montgomerie's ineffectiveness may have submerged a bit, but they are still a part of his makeup, and could reemerge down the line unless Montgomerie is able to get beyond it. And for me, that is valuable information to have.

Reaction Score
Was able to see Amity and the Winkel brothers (UCONN commits) yesterday in Westport...

..His younger bother, Pat, the sophomore Catcher is a stud. Hit an opposite field bomb high into the woods that broke up a scoreless game. Has a gun, too. The guy I was talking to, said Pat is getting SEC looks and will probably be a high draft pick and doubts he'll be playing in Storrs :(

I get the MLB draft component/risk and that freshman year @ Storrs is a bit away, but his dad seemed pretty upbeat about his commitment to UConn here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with you and that is the problem I have with Penders. Players seem to get into his doghouse and then don't see the field. Nepiarsky the last two years because he came in a little out of shape. Have you looked at some major league pitchers (Colon) and some others on our team. The bottom line is he puts up some of the best numbers on the staff in the given opportunities he has had. And yet there are others that he appears to over commit to that no matter how much they don't produce (strikeout) are in the everyday lineup. Sure he'll pull them for a game or two but then they are right back in there even when the backup is producing. He appears to have commitments that he doesn't back away from. No accountability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom