Men - UConn @ California (Friday 2/23/24 @9p, Saturday 2/24/24 @5p & Sunday 2/25/24 @4p) *All times EST.* Games on PAC12 Cal Live Stream-2 & MIXLR) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ California (Friday 2/23/24 @9p, Saturday 2/24/24 @5p & Sunday 2/25/24 @4p) *All times EST.* Games on PAC12 Cal Live Stream-2 & MIXLR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots to work on, plenty of time to get there. Hitting, pitching, D and baserunning. They need Padilla and Broadhurst back. No idea of how good 8-10 guys who played this weekend are. We’ll see.

No question that they need Broadhurst and Padilla back in the lineup. Only a few offensive players have been really productive in the lineup, Studley, Tammaro, and Morton. Morton is currently hitting over .390 with power, but who also has lots of strikeouts and has not yet taken a walk in the 6 games of the season. Still, despite these problems, at least he has been productive. There are a bunch of players in the lineup that have done very little in helping out the offense.

Good to see Stephen Quigley have a solid start yesterday after Ian Cooke got bombed on Saturday. From the sound of the post game interviews with Coach Penders, I'm expecting no changes to the starting pitchers this coming weekend against Auburn.

Reaction Score
No question that they need Broadhurst and Padilla back in the lineup. Only a few offensive players have been really productive in the lineup, Studley, Tammaro, and Morton. Morton is currently hitting over .390 with power, but who also has lots of strikeouts and has not yet taken a walk in the 6 games of the season. Still, despite these problems, at least he has been productive. There are a bunch of players in the lineup that have done very little in helping out the offense.

Good to see Stephen Quigley have a solid start yesterday after Ian Cooke got bombed on Saturday. From the sound of the post game interviews with Coach Penders, I'm expecting no changes to the starting pitchers this coming weekend against Auburn.
Padilla is a ~.275 lifetime hitter so when your offense is hitting .233 he feels like a good option. If they're hitting .290 it's not as urgent obviously. That being said he swung the bat well Saturday and should be in the lineup (assuming healthy). Padilla can give you an incremental lift, Broadhurst its step change. What's crossed my mind is putting Padilla back at SS. Small sample size but Tammaro is fielding at .880 however, more importantly, doesn't look comfortable there. But have to find a place for him as the bat is needed. Side note I think pitchers have half of the 8 errors committed this year.

The other thing is if/when Broadhurst comes back he needs to start at DH only even with Dalena's struggles. 2 reasons: 1) 1B is not his natural position (played SS at ECSU I think) and 2) at 1B there is a lot swiping tags and potential diving for ground balls both of which expose the wrist to trauma. Which hand is it I don't know but don't need a Padilla repeat. Get the ABs, ensure the hand is 100% then can branch out at 1B. Too risky to put him at 1B from the jump. And Dalena has to produce for this offense to be effective anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Padilla is a ~.275 lifetime hitter so when your offense is hitting .233 he feels like a good option. If they're hitting .290 it's not as urgent obviously. That being said he swung the bat well Saturday and should be in the lineup (assuming healthy). Padilla can give you an incremental lift, Broadhurst its step change. What's crossed my mind is putting Padilla back at SS. Small sample size but Tammaro is fielding at .880 however, more importantly, doesn't look comfortable there. But have to find a place for him as the bat is needed. Side note I think pitchers have half of the 8 errors committed this year.

The other thing is if/when Broadhurst comes back he needs to start at DH only even with Dalena's struggles. 2 reasons: 1) 1B is not his natural position (played SS at ECSU I think) and 2) at 1B there is a lot swiping tags and potential diving for ground balls both of which expose the wrist to trauma. Which hand is it I don't know but don't need a Padilla repeat. Get the ABs, ensure the hand is 100% then can branch out at 1B. Too risky to put him at 1B from the jump. And Dalena has to produce for this offense to be effective anyway.

During the last 2 fall ball seasons during scrimmages and exhibition games I have seen Broadhurst get a bunch playing time at 1B and 3B. Obviously, whether or not Broadhurst plays the field this season does depend on his recovery from his injuries.

Reaction Score
Anybody know the ETA for Broadhurst ?

During the game broadcasts this past weekend, Chris Jones said Broadhurst might be available to get playing time this coming weekend. We'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom