UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't want to upset Yawkey/Tusky, but there is no such thing as a Boston College football championship from 1940. Every site I've seen states that Minnesota is the champion. So in light of this...

Poll for UConn fans: which "championship" carries more weight?

1. Syracuse 1959 Helms Trophy
2. Boston College 1940 mysterious championship*

*I've looked at a few sites and NONE of them recognize BC as sharing any sort of title in 1940. Perhaps our BC friends got their years mixed up...it's possible seeing as though it was over 70 friggin' years ago.
http://collegefootball.about.com/od/nationalchampions/a/champions-list_3.htm
http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/champions_national.html
http://wilson.engr.wisc.edu/rsfc/history/kirlin/champs.html

And we thought Syracuse fans were pathetic. Making up championships has to be a new Boneyard low.

Reaction Score
If " safety" is the issue of primary concern, then perhaps no school should permit College Football on their campus. As for FBS playing FCS shools, while the scores tend to be lopsided, there is no data that shows that any more injuries are suffered in these games than when teams play teams from similar divisions. Uconn played Yale not that long ago. I don't recall Yale suffering any more serious injuries beyond the their fragile egos in the tilt.

I'll leave the debate over safety and football in general for another posting.

As for Yale and UConn, you may also want to take a refresher in history or at least a course in how to check the internet. The instate rivalry that began in 1948 was last played in 1998 with UConn winning 63 to 21. 1998 was the last year UConn was a D1-AA football program as the transition began in 1999. The two schools spoke to each earlier in 2015 about playing again in the future; but, UConn declined. The minor factor was that Yale wanted a home & home, which UConn felt was not favorable. The bigger issue is that the NCAA requires that a waiver be granted each and every time that a D1 scholarship offering football team wants to play a non-scholarship offering team. Why, the NCAA cites player safety as reason #1. The difficult of getting such a waiver is why the 3 game series between Army and Yale, which Yale won the first game, was reduced to a single game from a 3 game contract.

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150905/sunday-gravy-uconn-vs-yale-football-not-in-the-cards

Reaction Score
I don't want to upset Yawkey/Tusky, but there is no such thing as a Boston College football championship from 1940. Every site I've seen states that Minnesota is the champion. So in light of this...

Poll for UConn fans: which "championship" carries more weight?

1. Syracuse 1959 Helms Trophy
2. Boston College 1940 mysterious championship*

*I've looked at a few sites and NONE of them recognize BC as sharing any sort of title in 1940. Perhaps our BC friends got their years mixed up...it's possible seeing as though it was over 70 friggin' years ago.
http://collegefootball.about.com/od/nationalchampions/a/champions-list_3.htm
http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/champions_national.html
http://wilson.engr.wisc.edu/rsfc/history/kirlin/champs.html

And we thought Syracuse fans were pathetic. Making up championships has to be a new Boneyard low.

From Wiki:

"A banner on BC's campus commemorating the team uses the phrase "national champions," but Boston College was not awarded a national championship by any of the national polls at the time of the 1940 season. Although BC's claim to a title is not recognized by the NCAA or college football historians in general, one website, the College Football Data Warehouse, claims that selectors named Cliff Morgan and Ray Bryne rated BC #1 in 1940.[8] This web site states that BC's historic 1940 run resulted in a split championship with the University of Minnesota, but it's not clear whether the selectors awarded BC a title at the time of the 1940 season, or if they did so retroactively.[9] The NCAA lists only Minnesota as the national champion in 1940, and does not credit BC with any national championships in football.[10]"

Hard to argue with the opinions of two people.

Reaction Score
Yawkey's right. I found video evidence of that 1940 Championship.

stooges18-1.jpg

Reaction Score
BC voted " yes" for ( and Uconn's )admittance to the BE years earlier....
LOL nice try, UConn was a founding member of the Big East. The other founding members did not "vote" on UConn, or anyone's, admittance. Holy Cross rejected the offer from Dave Gavitt when he was formulating potential members, who then called UConn.

Reaction Score
Too funny. As soon as I watched it, I thought of you!
Post-Beanpot win T rides home are a rite of passage for BU students. It's essentially a giant party bus.

Post-national championship T rides home would have been a rite of heaven last April if - well....

To keep this post on-point with the thread, most BC kids don't know which line to take from the Garden after the games they've won, so their rides are lame.

Reaction Score
I've been to Yale, home of the most college championships, and I say your program is a joke. .
I've been to both New Haven for the Harvard- Yale game and to Cambridge for the Harvard - Yale. I have to hand it to the Beautiful People that annually go to this. Nobody stands totally upright at the games with the alcohol level 7 times the legal limit better than these folks. Its not really a football rivalry game. Its more of an event there. Most are so drunk at the game they are peering out to the field from the stands and can't see a gawddamn thing. Those here that have been at a Harvard- Yale game know precisely what I am talking about with this too.

Reaction Score
LOL nice try, UConn was a founding member of the Big East. The other founding members did not "vote" on UConn, or anyone's, admittance. Holy Cross rejected the offer from Dave Gavitt when he was formulating potential members, who then called UConn.
Not for Football, brassboy. Uconn football had to separately ( and much later after the founding of the BE ) to apply for admittance to the BE for its football program to be considered for admittance to the BE., at which point as some may recall here, BC voted " Yes " for Uconn's football team to be included in the BE Football League. ( Of course this was before Blumenthal initiated his later lawsuit against Swofford, the ACC, BC, Miami, etc for " setting out to destroy Uconn football ", and all of that sorry saga)

Reaction Score
Not for Football, brassboy. Uconn football had to separately ( and much later after the founding of the BE ) to apply for admittance to the BE for its football program to be considered for admittance to the BE., at which point as some may recall here, BC voted " Yes " for Uconn's football team to be included in the BE Football League. ( Of course this was before Blumenthal initiated his later lawsuit against Swofford, the ACC, BC, Miami, etc for " setting out to destroy Uconn football ", and all of that sorry saga)
Be more specific next time, Yawkboy. And don't use false equivalences such as BC voting for WVU to join the league as a brand new all-sports member and BC voting for UConn, already a member of the league in all sports but one, to become a football member. The comparison is not the same.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a typical sporting event at UMass.
The Umass fans that attend the BC- Umass games for the most part are very well behaved. Even the ' Neers fans in Morgantoown are not as drunk at their games than the Bulldogs and the Crimson Faced are in their annual " Event ". Again... if you or others here have been to a Harvard- Yale game, you know this to be true.

Reaction Score

We should all be thankful for all the help Blumenthal was to Uconn. We still feel the effects today!

Reaction Score
Be more specific next time, Yawkboy. And don't use false equivalences such as BC voting for WVU to join the league as a brand new all-sports member and BC voting for UConn, already a member of the league in all sports but one, to become a football member. The comparison is not the same.
Ok... will do. And as a helpful suggestion to you moving forward, understand that you initial criticism reply to me that Uconn football did not have to apply for a much later admittance via BE vote, ( despite Uconn already in the BE for other sports, years earlier ) was an inaccurate comment from you.... and thus prompted my follow up reply to correct that clearly incorrect info on here that you had utilized in your initial reply to me above.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok... will do. And as a helpful suggestion to you moving forward, understand that you initial criticism reply to me that Uconn football did not have to apply for a much later admittance via BE vote, ( despite Uconn already in the BE for other sports, years earlier ) was an inaccurate comment from you.... and thus prompted my follow up reply to correct that clearly incorrect info on here that you had utilized in your initial reply to me above.
I did not imply that at all, I interpreted your comment as pertaining UConn's admittance to the Big East as a whole (based on the WVU example) in 1979, not as a football member in 2004.

Reaction Score
To keep this post on-point with the thread, most BC kids don't know which line to take from the Garden after the games they've won, so their rides are lame.

While not defending BC students, I did go to enough BC sporting events when I lived in Brookline while UConn and BC were in the same conference and understand the quandary. The B Line is the most direct T ride to BC's campus; but, its a good 50 minute crawl up Comm Ave and one has to share it with BU students for the first half. The C line takes 30 minutes to crawl up Beacon to Cleveland Circle; but, then one has to take a 15 minute hike around the Reservoir at night to get to campus. The D line, which also goes to Cleveland Circle, is only a 15 minute ride from North Station; but, if you've been drinking and are in a jovial mood, all the stuck-up Newtonites riding the D with you are going to be all over you. So, if the weather's bad or its winter, take the B line. If you are in a hurry and have not been partying, take the D. If you have been out on the town and its not bad out, take the C and if its not too late, hit Mary Anne's in Cleveland Circle to spend last call with a lot of underage BC football players.

PS - The craziest late night subway ride I have been on (several time) was in the late '90's when NYC went smoke free and Jersey still allowed smoking in the bars. I would be in the city for work a lot and had a good friend who lived in Jersey who smoked (I did not, took one for the team). Taking the PATH back from Hoboken to Herald Square in Manhattan at 2 AM after a Thirsty Thursday with all of the other young drunks from NYC was insane. Singing, booze, fights, lots of skin and exchanging of bodily fluids.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a typical sporting event at UMass.

Or the old Yale v. UConn games at the Bowl. Went twice, barely remember both trips though I am pretty sure that I never saw a down played and that I was not lucky to have needed a liver transplant after.

Reaction Score
I really want to see this series happen. And it should 1 for 1 on home and away.
My only worry is that the games will be scheduled at 11:11 am!

Reaction Score

I believe in the mid 1990's the Big E invited both UConn and Villanova to join the football side of things. Villanova declined. UConn accepted and began its upgrade in 1999, went to full D1A status in 2002 and was scheduled to move to the Big East in 2005 or 2006; but, that date was pushed-up to 2004 when Miami and V Tech bolted. Of course, outside of football, UConn, like BC, was an inaugural member in 1979.

Reaction Score
From Wiki:

"A banner on BC's campus commemorating the team uses the phrase "national champions," but Boston College was not awarded a national championship by any of the national polls at the time of the 1940 season. Although BC's claim to a title is not recognized by the NCAA or college football historians in general, one website, the College Football Data Warehouse, claims that selectors named Cliff Morgan and Ray Bryne rated BC #1 in 1940.[8] This web site states that BC's historic 1940 run resulted in a split championship with the University of Minnesota, but it's not clear whether the selectors awarded BC a title at the time of the 1940 season, or if they did so retroactively.[9] The NCAA lists only Minnesota as the national champion in 1940, and does not credit BC with any national championships in football.[10]"

Hard to argue with the opinions of two people.

While true regarding the NCAA of 1940 position on this ( not the same as NCAA of today regarding these things).... inquisitive minds on this topic ask themselves : if an undefeated team went into the Sugar Bowl today, defeated the #1 ranked team in that Sugar Bowl ( Tennessee ) would not that undefeated, untied, team win or at the very least share in that season's National Football Title ? I think most unbiased observers would conclude... " yes ". Now having said this, it is true the NCAA of 1940 does not recognize BC's claim of a share of that 1940 National Title. ( I've said this now 3 times on this very thread ) But there were people unafiliated with BC at the time that did recognize BC's sharing of that National Title ( Sportswriters Assoc). Also, for what its worth, the National Coaches Assoc. of 1940 did recognize BC as a shared Title holder that season.... but it was not until 10 years later ... 1950.... that the Coaches Poll became an acceptable format for ONE of the pre BCS vehicles to declare the National Champion.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
While true regarding the NCAA of 1940 position on this ( not the same as NCAA of today regarding these things).... inquisitive minds on this topic ask themselves : if an undefeated team went into the Sugar Bowl today, defeated the #1 ranked team in that Sugar Bowl ( Tennessee ) would not that undefeated, untied, team win or at the very least share in that season's National Football Title ? I think most unbiased observers would conclude... " yes ". Now having said this, it is true the NCAA of 1940 does not recognize BC's claim of a share of that 1940 National Title. ( I've said this now 3 times on this very thread ) But there were people unafiliated with BC at the time that did recognize BC's sharing of that National Title ( Sportswriters Assoc). Also, for what its worth, the National Coaches Assoc. of 1940 did recognize BC as a shared Title holder that season.... but it was not until 10 years later ... 1950.... that the Coaches Poll became an acceptable format for ONE of the pre BCS vehicles to declare the National Champion.

Translation = We got nothing.

The 1940 NCAA football season ended with the Gophers of the University of Minnesota being named the nation’s #1 team and national champion by the AP Poll, and the Stanford University Indians in second, with the two teams receiving 65 and 44 first place votes respectively. Each writer listed his choice for the top ten teams, and points were tallied based on 10 for first place, 9 for second, etc., and the AP then ranked the twenty teams with the highest number of points. Minnesota, Stanford, Boston College, and Tennessee all claim 1940 as a national championship season.

Reaction Score
Minnesota, Stanford, Boston College, and Tennessee all claim 1940 as a national championship season.

Correct. In an era of unestablished vehicles, there is legitimate dispute... with the default decider, the NCAA of 1940.

And yes, it is true that Tennessee claims it also shares in the 1940 National Title, despite losing to undefeated, untied BC that season in the final, post season, game of that season... in the Sugar Bowl. So go figure.

Reaction Score
As a sidebar to BC's 1940 Sugar Bowl game... BC was not allowed to bring its starting fullback to the game ( Montgomery.. forget now his first name ). He stayed home and listened to the game on the radio in his dorm room . His " offense " ? He was black. And the Sugar Bowl Committee and opponent Tennessee would not allow blacks to play in games there in the South. A fascinating book was written about this. When BC came back with their victory over Tennessee in that Sugar Bowl they gave the game ball to Montgomery. Awhile back, BC brought Montgomery's family to Alumni for another public recognition for his accomplisments that season, despite the Sugar Bowl's exclusion of his right to participate in the biggest game of this young lad's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom