UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While true, the counterpoint could be made that UConn would most likely not have made its one BCS Bowl Game had the BE teams not have left the wholly diminished BE football league by then. UConn's football schedule that BCS season was not exactly murderers row, after several BE teams left, and the Uconn Fiesta Bowl Game blow out loss once there might have exposed this perception that year nationally too. Just sayin'.. ...since it was you that decided to bring up this BCS Bowl Game participation issue among the 2 schools.

So in summary, when UConn has an opportunity to go to a BCS Bowl, the Huskies did what they had to do and won that damn game on the road and went. By the way, please take a look at UConn’s attendance in 2010. With a decent on-field product, the fans show-up. The average home attendance was 38,248 with 3 sell-outs resulting in a 96% of the seats filled. Not bad for a team that in 2011 was only in its 11th season of D1A football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Connecticut_Huskies_football_team

When BC was given the chance to go to a BCS Bowl in its last year in the ‘diminished’ Big East in 2004 at home, they got run over by a back-up running back from .500 team Syracuse and LOST 43 to 17. Oh, and BC averaged 43,190 in attendance that season with 2 sell-outs. This also works out to 96% filled. Interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Boston_College_Eagles_football_team

Reaction Score
Yes. Re. Harvard football, only the Harvard- Yale game means anything in Boston. Harvard football attendance ( and football interest ) in N.E. pales to that of BC football interest. This is not to say that BC football attendance and interest is where it needs to be... just that the Non Harvard- Yale game has such little interest at all among Massachusetts casual sports fans... and the yearly home football attendance figures of BC And Harvard confirm this. Harvard hasn't topped BC 's home football attendance in half a century. And it won't the next 50 years either, imo. Harvard's football games are not even on TV in Boston. Why ? Such little interest, thats why.. That said, I would be in favor of adding Harvard ( and Uconn ) to BC's football schedule for more local interest.

So you are either comparing the D1-A BC football program of today to either a non-scholarship D-AA Ivy league football team, which would be like comparing the New York Yankees of MLB to the Rockland Boulders of the CanAm league or to the Harvard of yesteryear, which would be like company UConn/BC or just about anyone to Alabama in college football. It’s not a legit comparison. BC nor UConn should be scheduling any football games with an Ivy League team.

Reaction Score
So you are either comparing the D1-A BC football program of today to either a non-scholarship D-AA Ivy league football team, which would be like comparing the New York Yankees of MLB to the Rockland Boulders of the CanAm league or to the Harvard of yesteryear, which would be like company UConn/BC or just about anyone to Alabama in college football.
No... not really. Like most things ,there are more than two possibilities to explain comments more fully, or in more detail for readers. You gave us just these two of yours to try and explain my remarks above. Neither seem fitting, nor did my comments need further detail of what I said, imo.

If I choose to believe that it is appropriate for BC to schedule Harvard and Uconn to schedule Yale once every decade or two, that is my opinion. If you believe that neither Uconn or BC should ever play an Ivy school that is in their state, that is your opinion, and I can respect that opinion of yours as well.

Reaction Score
As I said before, I never saw books on BC - Holy Cross rivalry ..

Thats fine too. The fact that sometimes we are not familiar that something exists however, does not automatically mean it does not exist. It could mean we simply did not know. In this particular case, there are " books on the BC- Holy Cross football rivalry". I even have 3 of them in my library as we speak as a matter of fact....... ( opps... misspoke. I just looked. I still have 2 of them now, with one apparently misplaced now. )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no relevant response as to why BC has never played in a BCS bowl and UCOON has, even though BC has been playing D1a football much longer than UCONN.

Carry on....

Which is better?........ getting embarrassed on national TV in a BCS Bowl Game that much of the nation believed Uconn from a depleted BE did not belong in to begin with ?...... or winning a non BCS Bowl game ? Perhaps it can be legitimately argued getting to a BCS Bowl Game and getting embarrassed in a blow out loss is better than a lower tier Bowl Game win, but its not such a clear choice at all, imo. I suspect that a compelling case can likewise be made that its better to have won 13 Bowl Games than to have won just 3 Bowl Games, out of 5 invites and to have gotten blown out in a nationally televised BCS Bowl Game as a comparison overall Bowl Game resume. Will late starter Uconn win more Bowl Games in the future to catch up to early starter BC ? Perhaps. But BC's got 13, Uconn 3, so they have a long ways to go. Yes, it is a feather in Uconn's cap that they found a way to get to a BCS Bowl Game one time. But when the feather got blown away into the wind by the Sooners in an embarrassing manner, you have to admit the overall effect of making to to a BCS Bowl Game sort of lost its luster as a bragging right if you are honest with yourself here.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Which is better?... getting embarrassed on national TV in a BCS Bowl Game that much of the nation believed Uconn from a depleted BE did not belong in to begin with ?. or winning a non BCS Bowl game ? Perhaps it can be legitimately argued getting to a BCS Bowl Game and getting embarrassed in a blow out loss is better than a lower tier Bowl Game win, but its not such a clear choice at all, imo. I suspect that a compelling case can likewise be made that its better to have won 13 Bowl Games than to have won just 3 Bowl Games, out of 5 invites and to have gotten blown out in a nationally televised BCS Bowl Game as a comparison overall Bowl Game resume.
Huh... Weird... That wasn't me that wrote that.

Reaction Score
Huh... Weird... That wasn't me that wrote that.
I agree. I never stated that I did not care about Uconn potentially playing BC either. I said anbove that such a game would interest me, and I'd support its scheduling too as a matter of fact. So how someone can infer I don't give a wit about this, is baffling and sort of weird too.

Reaction Score
Accept for VPI ,the Big East got stronger.
Its a matter of opinion. If the BE was " stronger ", its unlikely its BE Champion that season would have been so uncompetitive as it was with the B12 Champion's representative that season. But who really knows. The bottom line is the BE football league was a shadow of iself. If the BE football league was " stronger " as you imply here, no one would believe it, as all its football program teams by then were all working behind the scenes to bolt the BE, as others had done before them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Translation...

I have no relevant response as to why BC has never played in a BCS bowl and UCOON has, even though BC has been playing D1a football much longer than UCONN.

Carry on....

I came here in peace, but if this is turning into a good ole fashioned game of poke-the-other-guy-in-the ribs, I suppose I'll play.

Yes, BC never played in a BCS game. BUT the BCS was only around for 16 years. BC has been playing football for 123. Seems kind of silly to say that UConn's best season was better than BC's best season by disregarding 90% of BC's history.

1.) BC has a shared national championship in 1940. UConn has never sniffed anything like that.

2.) BC has finished ranked in the AP Top 25 fifteen times, twelve times in the last 30 years, as high as #5, four times in the Top 10. UConn has never finished in the Top 25. Wait?! What?! NEVER?!?!?! How is that possible?!?!?! They went to a BCS Bowl, didn't they?!?!?! Oh yeah, because you were so completely terrible in 2010 that you were ranked #25 going INTO the Fiesta Bowl. A pity ranking! Of course you dropped out after that humiliating loss.

3) UConn's appearance in a BCS Bowl was such a blackeye for the sport, such an intolerable embarrassment, that as soon as possible the powers-that-be changed the rules to ensure that no "Big East" "champion" would ever get an auto-bid ever again. That's right, the fact that UConn snuck into a BCS Bowl destroyed the Big East.

*** I really hope this game happens. This is getting fun! ***

Reaction Score
tsk, tsk, tsk, Tusky. You're on your own here with this, you know.

While much of what you say is true, Uconn did not" destroy the BE". Mike Tranghese essentially did. .... and well before Uconn's BCS Bowl Game fiasco.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A BC fan claiming UConn killed the Big East is rich. Leahy's hands are still stained red. Did he ever get rid of the knife?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I came here in peace, but if this is turning into a good ole fashioned game of poke-the-other-guy-in-the ribs, I suppose I'll play.

Yes, BC never played in a BCS game. BUT the BCS was only around for 16 years. BC has been playing football for 123. Seems kind of silly to say that UConn's best season was better than BC's best season by disregarding 90% of BC's history.

1.) BC has a shared national championship in 1940. UConn has never sniffed anything like that.

2.) BC has finished ranked in the AP Top 25 fifteen times, twelve times in the last 30 years, as high as #5, four times in the Top 10. UConn has never finished in the Top 25. Wait?! What?! NEVER?!?!?! How is that possible?!?!?! They went to a BCS Bowl, didn't they?!?!?! Oh yeah, because you were so completely terrible in 2010 that you were ranked #25 going INTO the Fiesta Bowl. A pity ranking! Of course you dropped out after that humiliating loss.

3) UConn's appearance in a BCS Bowl was such a blackeye for the sport, such an intolerable embarrassment, that as soon as possible the powers-that-be changed the rules to ensure that no "Big East" "champion" would ever get an auto-bid ever again. That's right, the fact that UConn snuck into a BCS Bowl destroyed the Big East.

God, you're a . Makes me want this game even more!

Reaction Score
Which is better?... getting embarrassed on national TV in a BCS Bowl Game that much of the nation believed Uconn from a depleted BE did not belong in to begin with ?. or winning a non BCS Bowl game ? Perhaps it can be legitimately argued getting to a BCS Bowl Game and getting embarrassed in a blow out loss is better than a lower tier Bowl Game win, but its not such a clear choice at all, imo. I suspect that a compelling case can likewise be made that its better to have won 13 Bowl Games than to have won just 3 Bowl Games, out of 5 invites and to have gotten blown out in a nationally televised BCS Bowl Game as a comparison overall Bowl Game resume. Will late starter Uconn win more Bowl Games in the future to catch up to early starter BC ? Perhaps. But BC's got 13, Uconn 3, so they have a long ways to go. Yes, it is a feather in Uconn's cap that they found a way to get to a BCS Bowl Game one time. But when the feather got blown away into the wind by the Sooners in an embarrassing manner, you have to admit the overall effect of making to to a BCS Bowl Game sort of lost its luster as a bragging right if you are honest with yourself here.

Maybe it is one time now, but I think we'll be in a championship sooner than BCU will --when we get to the B1G!! The ACC is not a football conference and we are looking forward to play Iowa, Nebraska, PSU, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and the others. The only ACC school I would love to play would be the FSU Criminals...

Reaction Score
A BC fan claiming UConn killed the Big East is rich. Leahy's hands are still stained red. Did he ever get rid of the knife?
Neither Uconn nor BC " destroyed the BE ". The BE was run by Basketball centric people. They were clueless when it came to running a league with football as the driving revenue source for the schools.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, because you were so completely terrible in 2010 that you were ranked #25 going INTO the Fiesta Bowl. A pity ranking! Of course you dropped out after that humiliating loss.
UConn was so terrible they won 5 straight to end the year, beating some of your peers, Syracuse and Pitt, as well as West Virginia and Cincinnati. Then they pushed themselves into the Fiesta by kicking a 50 yarder with time winding down.

If BC played with any of that kind of backbone in the clutch, maybe they could have enjoyed something in 2004 instead of losing by 30 at home on the final day to a so-so Syracuse team.

But hold on to that 1940 shared championship!

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Maybe it is one time now, but I think we'll be in a championship sooner than BCU .

Perhaps..... but baby steps first. Finish in the upper tier of the new AAC, then go from there re. future league " Championships " boastings.

Reaction Score
BC's best days are in the rear view mirror with tire tracks. That includes Ice Hockey where they'll be lucky to get Happy Gilmore on scholarship. Play us, don't play us. It only delays the inevitable.

Reaction Score

UConn killed the BigEast?? Was it before or after Holy Cross refused to join, so UConn accepted? Or was it after Miami, VPI and BCU decided to leave? Maybe it was when 'the Catholic Schools' wanted out of the 'BigEast'...

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="The Viking, post: 1437531, member: 1599"

But hold on to that 1940 shared championship![/QUOTE]

Well, its true...., BC CAN hold onto a share of a national football title ( beating Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl to go undefeated ) and Uconn can hold on to its loss in a Fiesta Bowl to finish out of the Top 25. But... whats the point you are attempting to make here with this ?

Reaction Score
UConn was so terrible they won 5 straight to end the year, beating some of your peers, Syracuse and Pitt, as well as West Virginia and Cincinnati. Then they pushed themselves into the Fiesta by kicking a 50 yarder with time winding down.

If BC played with any of that kind of backbone in the clutch, maybe they could have enjoyed something in 2004 instead of losing by 30 at home on the final day to a so-so Syracuse team.

But hold on to that 1940 shared championship!

And you finished the year UNRANKED. Again, before you say anything about BC football, finish with a ranking at least once. Any ranking will do. Not even going to require you to finish with a Top 10 ranking (like BC has 4 times).

Reaction Score
Well, its true...., BC CAN hold onto a share of a national football title ( beating Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl to go undefeated ) and Uconn can hold on to its loss in a Fiesta Bowl to finish out of the Top 25. But... whats the point you are attempting to make here with this ?[/QUOTE]
That you are bragging about something that happened prior to Pearl Harbor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom