Uconn Baseball Weekend Series vs. ECU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn Baseball Weekend Series vs. ECU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
4-1 after 3. Daniello gets picked off and Sundberg thrown out by 10 steps at the plate. Not sure what Penders thinking there?
Penders thinks he has the odds when he sends runners all the time and in every situation. He doesn't. He gets burned regularly but he won't stop doing this. I wonder what his players think when their coach takes them out of innings game after game.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/041715aaa.html

Game Notes
  • Carson Cross has gone seven innings or more in eight of his 10 starts this season
  • Jack Sundberg recorded his 15th multi-hit games, but the Huskies dropped to 12-3 in those contests
  • Vinny Siena has reached base safely in 29-straight contests
  • Joe DeRoche-Duffin notched his fifth multi-RBI game
The Huskies and Pirates continue their weekend series tomorrow afternoon for a 1 p.m. start J.O. Christian Field. Anthony Kay (Stony Brook, N.Y.) will take the ball for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
@USFBaseball: FINAL: MEM 4, USF 1. Bulls avoid the shutout thanks to a Maglich RBI single in the ninth. Rubber match slated for tomorrow at 3 p.m.

Reaction Score
Penders thinks he has the odds when he sends runners all the time and in every situation. He doesn't. He gets burned regularly but he won't stop doing this. I wonder what his players think when their coach takes them out of innings game after game.

Yes he rolled the dice and got burned on the hit and run but look back to last weekend. We had a couple hit and runs that lead to big innings. Its a risk but thats their style of play

Reaction Score
Come on Testani. Need to be able to get down the sac bunt.

Reaction Score
Big 2-out double by Melley plates 2 after a pass ball moved runners up to 2nd-3rd.

Reaction Score
Bobby Melley with a clutch 2 out 2 strike hit to bring in 2. 5-2 UConn

Reaction Score
Makes things interesting but closes it out.
Nice to see is guys who struggled early Yavarone and Hill and get benched come in on spot duty and come up with some nice games of late.
Nice win and chance to win series now.

Reaction Score
Big win today after our loss yesterday. If we can get it done tomorrow it will be another successful weekend.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/041815aaa.html

Stats

Game Notes
  • Vinny Siena has reached base safely in 30 straight contests and recorded his 11th multi-RBI game of the year
  • Bobby Melley's 17 putouts mark the most for any Husky this season
  • Anthony Kay has pitched into at least the seventh inning in eight of his 10 starts this year
  • Eric Yavarone is 4-for-8 with four runs scored in his last two starts
UConn and East Carolina conclude their weekend series tomorrow afternoon with a noon start in Storrs. Jordan Tabakman (Pompton Plains, N.J.) is set to take the ball for the Huskies in the rubber match.

Reaction Score
Makes things interesting but closes it out.
Nice to see is guys who struggled early Yavarone and Hill and get benched come in on spot duty and come up with some nice games of late.
Nice win and chance to win series now.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Aaron Hill, thinking he is going to be a productive player later in his UConn career. After a horrendous start, he has got his batting average up to .226, not great, but at least serviceable. But what intrigues me about him is his .377 on base percentage. If he starts hitting just a little bit more, then Aaron Hill has the look of a very nice lead off hitter in the future.

Reaction Score

Oddly enough, this year I don't think UConn has been hurt too much by bad or overly aggressive base running, not like in previous years. Overall, their offense is fine, although there are the occasional day where all the batters seem to take the day off. A bigger problem to me is the fielding misadventures, such as the dropped pop ups that happen way too often, that I find undermine the pitching success of the Huskies. Another problem is the thin bullpen, with Penders trying to rely on just Ruotolo and Darras in tight games. Penders has been covering this up some by having Cross and Kay go really deep into games, hoping that they won't tire before it is time for Ruotolo to come in.

Reaction Score
Early base running mistake. McDowell trying to go 1st to 3rd on base hit by Hill. Ball was hit sharply to left and he was out by a good margin.

Reaction Score
Sundberg has a nice average but for a guy with his speed he strikes out a bit much. Like to see him make more contact and make things happen with that speed.
No score after 3.

Reaction Score
Tabakman is pitching one of his better games today, but a two out double comes around to score. 1-0 for East Carolina after the top of the fifth. Is it my imagination, or do the Huskies generally don't do much on offense for Tabakman when he is on the mound?

Reaction Score
A tough popup in foul territory which could have and maybe should have been caught by Yahn for the 3rd out. next pitch base hit and run for ECU. 1-0 after 4 and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom